Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build a quiet Gaming PC, Advice wanted

Options
  • 07-06-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Okies, so I am looking to build a new PC over the summer or so. No real rush plus I will be saving up over time so money is not that big an issue. Although not spending 3 grand or anything lol

By the way, non of this is set in stone or anything. I was just happy with what I got last time and I was thinking I could replicate the same thing but if its going to hamper performance in a huge way or just simply cost too much I wont bother

So for the moment I am starting off with the new version of the case for my old PC the Antec P193 (my old one is the Antec P183). I have a preference for this case as its well organised, quiet and well cooled. I know its expensive but I do like it. Although I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?
    My old Power supply was the Antec Phantom 500 which was an awesome little worker and never heard a peep out of him. I am looking for something as good, any suggestions? I was looking at the Antec Quattro 1200 but I am not sure.
    My Motherboard was another nice piece of machinery that I liked and was hoping for something along the same lines. My old one was a Asus A8N-SLI Premium, this was another one of the quiet item I bought. Any thoughts on a replacement?
    As for the rest I am hoping for some recommendations. GFX, RAM and Sound cards don't have to be optimised for quiet unless it does not impede performance as its to be a gaming machine

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hey Dara,

Good choice on the case, You shouldnt be able to hear those tri-cools on low either so you wont need to replace them with a quiet solution. If your like me and always think you could go quieter then some Noiseblocker or Noctua fans are more defintly the way to go. Some Nexus (or any other manufacturer) sound deadining may be worth investing in although im nearly sure the antecs side panel actually is 2 panels with sound dampening wedged between them. Get some anti vibration mounts for your fans aswell

On to that PSU, theres no need for 1200W unless your running 3x480 GTX cards. Seasonic's X series to the best of my knowledge have a feature where they run passivly until about 20% load. So when your browsing the web or the like it will be silent. They do an 850W model which is pretty much THE best PSU on the market today (Gold rated 80+)

Very few motherboards have active cooling (ie NB cooled witha heatsink and fan) even 300+ euro boards. Gigabyte's UD range is excellent, regardless if your AMD or Intel. They have boards to suit budget builds all the way up to serious overclocker.

On your graphics card, you will definitly want to replace the fan and cooler on the card as high end cards are very loud (My 4890 with the fan @ 60% is louder than everything else in my PC). The Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro is a great cooler which will drop the tempretures of your card while decreasing noise levels.

Unless your someone who REALLY enjoys high quality sounds, then stick with on board sound.

Get an aftermarket heatsink with a loose fin spacing so you can use a low speed fan on it to keep your CPU cool.

Ram wont make any noise at all and is rated for high temps so picking up a set with heatspreaders is a good idea.

Hope this helps you out :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The Seasonic X Series are pretty awesome alright but the prices are something else altogether... :o:p

Solitaire wrote: »
    The Seasonic X Series are pretty awesome alright but the prices are something else altogether... :o:p

Just looked the price up there...oh my :o

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elazar55

correct me if I'm wrong but I think a BeQuiet! PSU would be good. I'm just taking a wild guess based completly on the name.

elazar55 wrote: »
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think a BeQuiet! PSU would be good. I'm just taking a wild guess based completly on the name.

IIRC, thats just the name, from what I remember they are just your average PSU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Deano12345, I like the Seasonic's X series thanks. Great power rating and they seem very quiet. All reviews I have read so far indicate they are what I am looking for in a PSU. They are not cheap though but you pay for what you get, you know monkeys, peanuts and all that :)

As for the aftermarket CPU coolers I was thinking something like this Thermaltake, if I can afford it that is :D

elazar55, I had not heard of them before. Their stuff looks good but their high end 750 PSU is only 80 silver and not gold. Prices are around the same as the Seasonic's X 750 so as I see it so far the Seasonic's X series is winning out.

So I have been out of the loop this last 8 or 9 months on Hardware as I was in college working my ass off. Whats the deal with CPU's and GFX's, whats recommended for gaming and heavy photography and graphic editing?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elazar55

elazar55 wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me if they were Seasonic built, there not out yet anyway...

Also Dara, dont go near Tt, they were good a few years ago, not so much now. Look at the Xigmatek Dark Night if your on a budget

Advertisement