Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery powered phone charger?

• 07-06-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Need some sort of universal battery powered phone charger. Will be going to a 3 day metal festival in France, and power sockets are scarce, so need some sort of battery powered phone charger that I can charge my phone with.

Would prefer if I could pick it up in/near Dublin, as I'll be going on the 17th, and thus not sure about ordering online (don't know any shops that do it anyhoo).

Any ideas, or suggestions on battery powered phone chargers that you've used before (and where you got them), would be great.

/edit
    Also, any info on where to get a Powerchimp or a Powermonkey would also be good.

/edit2
    Anyone ever use "pressieport.ie"? Seems they accept laser :D
    http://www.pressieport.ie/products/Power-Monkey-%252d-PowerChimp.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

the_syco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Need some sort of universal battery powered phone charger. Will be going to a 3 day metal festival in France, and power sockets are scarce, so need some sort of battery powered phone charger that I can charge my phone with.

Would prefer if I could pick it up in/near Dublin, as I'll be going on the 17th, and thus not sure about ordering online (don't know any shops that do it anyhoo).

Any ideas, or suggestions on battery powered phone chargers that you've used before (and where you got them), would be great.

/edit
    Also, any info on where to get a Powerchimp or a Powermonkey would also be good.

/edit2
    Anyone ever use "pressieport.ie"? Seems they accept laser :D
    http://www.pressieport.ie/products/Power-Monkey-%252d-PowerChimp.html

I was along the same lines of thinking ;)
    I'm going to Rock Werchter in Belgium next month, was looking at getting something for the same reasons, ended up getting a Solio Classic, bit more expensive but you have the added ability to charge via the Sun aswell :D

Plus it charges from the wall and comes with mostly the same connectors as the powermonkey, comes with European, UK/Irish/ US and Asian wall socket adapters so sort of a worldwide adapter as well :)

It was 53.49 Sterling delivered to the Netherlands, might be a bit less for you being in Ireland.

Tested it over the weekend and took about 5-6 hours to charge fully from the Sun and was able to charge an iPhone and a Nokia E71 with it.

http://www.home4eco.com/index.php/portable-solar-charger-4.html

Either going to stick it on top of the tent or put it on my backpack and leave it charge during the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

They also have wind up ones, save on batteries. :p
    274050gs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Either going to stick it on top of the tent or put it on my backpack and leave it charge during the festival.
    Have seen some of the solar powered devices, but leaving a "shiny thing" on top of the tent is asking for it to be nicked :(

Thus looking for a battery powered one, that's not too dear.
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    They also have wind up ones, save on batteries. :p
    274050gs.jpg
    They never say how long you must wind it to charge your phone... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

the_syco wrote: »
    Have seen some of the solar powered devices, but leaving a "shiny thing" on top of the tent is asking for it to be nicked :(

Thus looking for a battery powered one, that's not too dear.

They never say how long you must wind it to charge your phone... :(

Well we have a majorly big tent .. you'd have to go climbing on top to find it :D

Backpack will be the option for me .. really depends on the crowd there i guess, has to do two people though so we needed something more than a battery backup:)

The solar part was just a plus for me as I can effectively charge it for free when at home or out camping :D

Well we have a majorly big tent .. you'd have to go climbing on top to find it :D
    In that case, you're okay: I only have a small two man tent.

Will be getting a couple of AA batteries, and charge the phone every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Davy wrote: »

Cheers for that, but looking for battery powered charger, as the solar paneled one may get nicked. Also, forecast looks cloudy for the coming days, so there may not be that much sun for the festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

n/m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Power moneky is great, I have one and find it invaluable, can't recomment it enough.

53 Degrees North sell them out in Blanchardstown, I guess the other branches also stock them.

I normally just leave mine at the bottom of my bag in case of emergencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭kilsmum

Davy wrote: »

You beat me to it Davy - looks like an option for holidays and not too expensive - Kilsmum:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement