Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crash Course photography!

• 07-06-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Im a complete novice and im heading off for a bit of travelling on wednesday and just got a loan of a DSLR yesterday for the trip. Its a Nikon D60. Im hoping you folks can give me a crash course because i unfortunately dont have the time to read much about it!

Couple of questions:

How do i take photos at night without them becoming blurry?? I took a few snaps with it last night, outdoors but there was a decent bit of light. The pics with the flash on dont have a good "night time" effect but without the flash the pics are great but way too blurry!

Also I want to take pictures with a slow shutter speed to try capture waterfalls and movement etc etc but when i tried it i mostly just get a white photo! I tried turning the ISO down but it didnt help!

Help! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

king-stew wrote: »
    How do i take photos at night without them becoming blurry?? I took a few snaps with it last night, outdoors but there was a decent bit of light. The pics with the flash on dont have a good "night time" effect but without the flash the pics are great but way too blurry!

Using a wider aperture will let you use a faster shutter speed and keep more light but in general you will want a tripod for night shots. When using the flash try and stay at least 2 metres away from people and you won't get such a harsh lit up face but in general the pop up flash is harsh and not very flattering.
    Also I want to take pictures with a slow shutter speed to try capture waterfalls and movement etc etc but when i tried it i mostly just get a white photo! I tried turning the ISO down but it didnt help!

Tried this myself recently and it can be difficult in bright areas. Use a low ISO like you have as well as a small aperture like f18-22 to not let as much light in as quickly. Bit of trial and error to find a decent mix for your situation.

Sure someone with more knowledge than me can give better advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hey folks,

Im a complete novice and im heading off for a bit of travelling on wednesday and just got a loan of a DSLR yesterday for the trip. Its a Nikon D60. Im hoping you folks can give me a crash course because i unfortunately dont have the time to read much about it!

Couple of questions:

Help! :D

Hold a pair of (non-polarising) sunglasses in front of the lens to reduce the incoming light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, if you're heading off Wednesday, I'd suggest you offer one of our regulars here a few pints/a bite to eat in return for a hour or two of face to face tuition, you'll learn more talking about stuff with camera in hand out and about than reading it on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Use a tripod. At night, the click-click part is more like click..................click, as the shutter part is open longer. Because of this, if you're moving, it'll be blurred.

Basically, during the daytime, lots of light, so shutter opens, gets lots of light, shutter closes. At night, shutter open, waits, waits, gets any bit of light it can, waits, waits, and then the shutter closes.

A few months ago when I got my first DSLR, I took two night shots which were horribly out of focus, but you can see that the second shot is a relatively "bright" shot. This was late at night, and it was fairly dark. My point is, as the shutter stays open for a long period of time, it can collect lots of light. BUT, as the shutter is open, the camera must stay VERY still, so a tripod is essential. Luckily all cameras, camcorders, etc have the same connection on the bottom, so any tripod within reason should do. Just ensure that it can handle the weight of the camera, and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thanks folks, would love to meet up with someone but wont have the time im afraid!

Thanks for all the advice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stick the camera on full auto so and work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

stick the camera on full auto so and work away.

I wouldn't advise it. They can be brutal in full auto. Some P&S produce better results.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

granted, but he doesn't seem to have time to learn how to use many other modes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

granted, but he doesn't seem to have time to learn how to use many other modes.

Indeed. It would be terrible for him to have high expectations though - I suppose we've all been there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I find you can't go drastically wrong if you leave it in P mode and then decide for yourself if you want the flash on.

• Advertisement

Yeah I dont have the time today but ill have plenty of time while travelling to get pracitce at it!

Ill read the manual but sometimes it doesnt explain how to use the camera to do whatever im looking for!

Id prefer not to use auto so maybe ill try leave it on P and get decent at that!

Im just thinking, are there any handly little articles i could print and bring with me? Obviously it would have to be small enough! Or any other good resources i could look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

PM sent, hope it's of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

You could print off the two articles on basic photo skills here, that's how I learned the basics anyway. Enjoy!

DutchGuy wrote: »
    You could print off the two articles on basic photo skills here, that's how I learned the basics anyway. Enjoy!

Great site dutch guy, ive printed a few articles!

Thanks for the help fellas! So long Ireland! :D :cool:

Advertisement