Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mullingar 2 day, 11/12 july..50euro entry fee

• 07-06-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭

50 euro entry for a 2 day!

Its 10 euro to enter a one day race..why is 2 days 5 times as much!!

Seems like greed to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

There's a prize fund of about €4,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

50 euro is fairly standard for a 2 day, any reason why your singling this one out?
    Overall the entries to races are very reasonable, especially when compared with the crazy prices of triathlon entries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

hynesie wrote: »
    50 euro is fairly standard for a 2 day, any reason why your singling this one out?
    Overall the entries to races are very reasonable, especially when compared with the crazy prices of triathlon entries

Well it seems like a lot to me..its 3 which includes a short TT should it not be priced more at 30 euro. 3 days are only recently charging 50 euros.

Triathlon is triathlon, I have no idea what they charge and how they come to that figure they charge. im talkin about bike races here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Michelin wrote: »
    Well it seems like a lot to me..its 3 which includes a short TT should it not be priced more at 30 euro.
    Vote with your feet then and don't do it.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Vote with your feet then and don't do it.

Well financial contraints will force me to do that. But this sport is expensive enough with organisers coming in and charging extorsionist entrys for races!

• Advertisement

It's a race. It involves prizes. The prizes involve money.

You could come out with a few hundred quid if you got a few placings. That might sort out your financial constraints eh?

It's a race. It involves prizes. The prizes involve money.

You could come out with a few hundred quid if you got a few placings. That might sort out your financial constraints eh?

Haha trust me that wont be happening. And im not a gambling man.

Well many other races have great prize funds also. Even regular sunday races often have good prize funds. It depends on the level of sponsorship. But why charge this much to everyone so some hotshot B cat can come out with a few hundred in prize money.
    So would u be prepared to pay more then 10euros for sunday races because the prize list is great?

Haha trust me that wont be happening. And im not a gambling man.

Well many other races have great prize funds also. Even regular sunday races often have good prize funds. It depends on the level of sponsorship. But why charge this much to everyone so some hotshot B cat can come out with a few hundred in prize money.
    So would u be prepared to pay more then 10euros for sunday races because the prize list is great?

Because it will attract good riders and make for a great race.

Sure the national championships are €25. Wouldn't be much craic if only Deignan, Martin, Roche et al showed up as everyone one else wasn't happy with a significant proportion of their entry fee being awarded to the winner.

Speaking if Mullingar, does anyone have any details of the route(s)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Well financial contraints will force me to do that. But this sport is expensive enough with organisers coming in and charging extorsionist entrys for races!

was party to a discussion by some race promoters about the cost of entry's and the feeling was that €10 was way to low to cover the expenses incurred running a descent sunday race,the days of clubs running raffles and cake sales to fund your day out are long gone,im afraid the day is coming that the competitors will have fund the cost of the day

in fairness what would you get for a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Information.

Prize Fund of €3750.

was party to a discussion by some race promoters about the cost of entry's and the feeling was that €10 was way to low to cover the expenses incurred running a descent sunday race,the days of clubs running raffles and cake sales to fund your day out are long gone,im afraid the day is coming that the competitors will have fund the cost of the day

in fairness what would you get for a tenner

ur way off there sayin im looking for someone to fund my day out. i have been involved with running races myself, and it wud kill me to charge more then a tenner. its been the tradition of club commitees to finance races with club funds..often tho the 10 euro fee has covered the cost with some left over.
    Are u one of these rich boys recently entering the sport on a fancy pinarello driving to the race in a beemer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Get up the road

Michelin you tight git pay the money and stop moaning.

IS the TT on saturday or sunday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It's Sunday morning as far as I am aware, I'll update this if I find out that is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Multi Stage races have higher overheads I reckon because they need to provide radios to the team cars which you don't get in most Sunday races, also they need to print up race numbers, plus record a time for every rider in the bunch as its not just the top 10 that matter etc.... Plus there are prizes for different classifications e.g. mountains, points etc... plus jerseys usually and so on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Are u one of these rich boys recently entering the sport on a fancy pinarello driving to the race in a beemer?

Hey, does the fella your thinking of wear full Cervelo kit as well:p think I've seen him a few times.

Seriously though, 50 quid seems almost reasonable for a multi-day event for the reason quigs mentions. However, the low entry fee for single day is a bit of a tradition in Irish cycling and long may it last, particularly when you have to pay for a full competition licence to race (and most of us also pay a club membership fee and club league fee too).

Paddy Flanagan 2 day is 30euro to enter.

Paddy Flanagan 2 day is 30euro to enter.
    You're sorted then.

Better but the hammer down however, as only the top 80 will get to race on the second day in the Paddy Flanagan

So 30 euro is maybe a more appropiate charge for a 2 day?

Still think lads in mullingar taking the piss with 50euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

So 30 euro is maybe a more appropiate charge for a 2 day?

Still think lads in mullingar taking the piss with 50euro

your like a dog with a bone ,,don't go then

• Advertisement

your like a dog with a bone ,,don't go then

Well racing is an expensive enough business as it is..i cant afford to race every week. Im worried more race organisers will start charging bigger entry fees if they see other clubs at it.
    Ive been racing since the 80s, there is a new breed of cyclist now willing to spend fortunes..but a lot of these cyclists are oldish and in a position to spend what ever it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

€20 is as cheap as it comes for Irish MTB race this year. Most of the races I do abroad (single day) are €40+

I think €50 is fine for a 3 stage race when there is all the additional overhead mentioned earlier.

I always smile to myself when I toe the line and signup for an Irish road race for a tenner - can't believe it is so cheap and having been involved in running some races, can't believe they can run them that cheap and not lose much. (Remember - tea and sambos after most races too!)

€20 is as cheap as it comes for Irish MTB race this year. Most of the races I do abroad (single day) are €40+

I think €50 is fine for a 3 stage race when there is all the additional overhead mentioned earlier.

I always smile to myself when I toe the line and signup for an Irish road race for a tenner - can't believe it is so cheap and having been involved in running some races, can't believe they can run them that cheap and not lose much. (Remember - tea and sambos after most races too!)

its 5euros to enter races in germany and denmark...outstanding organisation, closed roads, in denmark 1/3 of the field get a prize back.

think about it..if u have for eg 150 riders at 10euro each thats 1,500euro. add in what ever sponsorship the club have for a race and it adds up to a tidy sum. very few races are run at a loss. the only races i can think of that would run at a loss are ones that are open to A/B cats as there is a risk of small numbers turning out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

think about it..if u have for eg 150 riders at 10euro each thats 1,500euro. add in what ever sponsorship the club have for a race and it adds up to a tidy sum.

As far as I know - the sponsorship end of things is a hell of a lot bigger on the continent than it is here. I do know though that a lot of german races (which are cheap to enter) are not being run this year due to financial contraints (My partner is German and races over there).

€1,500 when you get the ambulances, tea+sambos, hall rental (maybe?), lunch for the volunteers, prize money... Not that much...

But there does seem to be a very healthy number of competitors this year in all the races so that helps a lot! Not much difference in running a race with 60 riders verus 90 riders other than the entry fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

At this stage I have spent so much money, between equipment, CI & IVCA membership, race entry fees, travel gels / drinks etc etc that e50 is neither here nor there - on the basis of min 4-5 hours racing over the weekend thats say e10 per hour - thats not bad IMO. As per ealier posts nobody says any of us HAVE to ride - I will be there along with a strong contingent from my club.

Was in Mullingar last night - if this event is half as well run as the crit, then prize fund aside e50 is v good value for money - there were heaps of marshals etc, all of whom do it for nothing other than love of the sport - I shudder to think what it might cost of marshals had to be paid.

Kebel

Kebel wrote: »
    At this stage I have spent so much money, between equipment, CI & IVCA membership, race entry fees, travel gels / drinks etc etc that e50 is neither here nor there - on the basis of min 4-5 hours racing over the weekend thats say e10 per hour - thats not bad IMO. As per ealier posts nobody says any of us HAVE to ride - I will be there along with a strong contingent from my club.

Wish i was in ur position and able to say that but im not nor is a good few riders i know. ok so what diff does it make if every race is 20 or 30 euro and every 2 day is 50 and sure make a 3 day 70 or 80 or why not round it off at 100euro! sure what diff does it make its a rich mans sport now.
    ull say that for a while until u realise or ur other half realises its a crazy way to spend money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

Can we rename thread 'Mullingar 2 day, michelin can't afford it'!!!

At least we'll know what the thread is really about before reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

Hey there Michelin, just cause i said i have spent money doesn't mean i am made of money - it merely means that I have make sacifices elsewhere - eg I dont go to pubs anymore etc, that not a complaint - it's merely a statement of fact - my choice.

How much do people spend on concerts, night clubs, football match tickets etc - as before €10 per hour (assuming c. 5 hours of racing over the weekend) is cheap IMO - dont forget there are whole pile of people who give their services for free to make sure we race safely - I shudder to think what it would cost if those good folk were to be paid for their time. I wont disagree that €50 is not a lot of money,. but it does represrent value IMO, hence I have signed up ......... and looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Well i'm with michelin here,was made unemplyed some weeks ago and struggle with the tenner to be honest.As for €50 thats a weeks food!On a side note Zero price money in the championships and medals that looked like they came out of a lucky bag! I estimate they took in €2,500 for the Vets race alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

shnoop wrote: »
    Well i'm with michelin here,was made unemplyed some weeks ago and struggle with the tenner to be honest.

Running is cheap.

Advertisement