Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phishing on Boards?

Options
  • 07-06-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

I just idly clicked on the Headsup.ie banner on the Edu site and my AVG would not let me have access as it was a Phishing site. It seems unlikely that Boards would sell ad space to a bogus site, so is it AVG being over cautious or is it a Phishing site?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

AVG can often get it wrong, when is the last time you updated it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Last updated on 7.6.10 (its the paid for version). Just had another look and all the ads in that corner of the site appear to be those 'ads by Google', this ad was bright red and seems to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I uploaded a video to Facebook there last week, and a few of my friends (who were all using AVG) reported getting some kind of trojan, which seems really strange.

Anyone else using different anti-virus software didn't see the problem, so I reckon it was AVG getting it wrong.

Might be the same in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The plot thickens! The ad reappeared today, so having updated my AVG I tried clicking it again (I like to live dangerously). And I realised the program that was stopping it was not AVG, it was something called OpenDNS. This apparently is a program you can purchase/is free whatever, but I didn't invite it onto my computer, so presumably it is, itself, some sort of ware that maybe I don't want.

Maybe I should take this to a different forum? Any suggestions :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Open DNS is a simply a free alternative to the DNS (Think of DNS as a phone book to the internet) services that your ISP provides.

Chances are that it was implemented on your machine either by yourself, or someone else when your ISPs servers were giving trouble.

It's quite a good (free) service that they provide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement