Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband upgrade for D15

Options
  • 07-06-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Posting this here instead of the Broadband forum as it only affects some D15 users.

UPC have confirmed to me that there is very high contention on the broadband line supplying Delwood, Brompton, Glenville, Roselawn, Hazel Lawn & surronding areas.
    This is causing frequent disconnections for their broadband.

The good news, is that there is a priority upgrade scheduled for next Tuesday the 15th June which will resolve this, and hopefully some of the other line faults in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Posting this here instead of the Broadband forum as it only affects some D15 users.

UPC have confirmed to me that there is very high contention on the broadband line supplying Delwood, Brompton, Glenville, Roselawn, Hazel Lawn & surronding areas.
    This is causing frequent disconnections for their broadband.

The good news, is that there is a priority upgrade scheduled for next Tuesday the 15th June which will resolve this, and hopefully some of the other line faults in the area.

I thought I was getting a slower connection in the last week or so alright! This is good news, if it happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My UPC has been dire for weeks. Funny support never mentioned anything about upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

BostonB wrote: »
    My UPC has been dire for weeks. Funny support never mentioned anything about upgrades.

I've had 47 breaks in connection since I got home at 6:30 pm today.

From what I understand, there is an Irish Times journo living in Delwood/Brompton having the same problems as me for months. There was talk of an article...then surprise surprise, the upgrade gets moved to the priority list.

Level 1 support wouldn't know if their hair was on fire. It's the engineers and Level 2 techs that know what's going on....some of the time.

Its getting the point for me where I'm probably going to cancel and move to Mobile BB or Wireless. For me on UPC the lag in online games and the constant breaks in connection is getting impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Mine crashed yesterday and was still not back this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Have you contacted UPC? it is the only way to fix it.

I have contacted them, getting credited for my connection and they are investigating the fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Mine went down yesterday for a period and got really really slow at times! It did the same this morning! :-(

Re-segmentation work has been completed in this area now.

Unfortunately, I'm still having the exact same problem. Level 2 have given up, and just want to send another engineer again.

I'll send a link to this thread to an internal (kinda Level 3 Support) contact I have in UPC... If anyone wants to post the times you get disconnected & your general area (Delwood area/ Roselawn area etc) , it might help narrow down the exact location of the fault. No need to post your exact address.

I've turned off the firewall on my router (netgear) which has helped a lot. Still getting the odd disconnect, but not as frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

mine was shocking yesterday it just kept disconnecting every 5 minutes, im out in warrenstown though but i suppose were all on the same line. I have already made the decision to leave UPC once my contract expires in October, i had no TV Service for 6 weeks nearly cos they f**ked up. Complete and utter crap service provided from them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Re-segmentation work has been completed in this area now.

Unfortunately, I'm still having the exact same problem. Level 2 have given up, and just want to send another engineer again.

I'll send a link to this thread to an internal (kinda Level 3 Support) contact I have in UPC... If anyone wants to post the times you get disconnected & your general area (Delwood area/ Roselawn area etc) , it might help narrow down the exact location of the fault. No need to post your exact address.

Can you send me this information too? I'm in the same area and the issue seems to have come back again.
    Edit: The general times are between 11am and 3pm

One thing I've found helped is keeping the modem and router away from each other as they run hot. The temptation is to stack them which makes them overheat. Also put them somewhere where they get a bit of airflow from a window etc. They really need fans.

They replaced the cable to house from road for me, but I'm still getting disconnects, less frequent though. One annoying thing was they chopped the connector off the cables I wasn't using, rather than just simply leaving them them disconnected. Nice.

BostonB wrote: »
    One thing I've found helped is keeping the modem and router away from each other as they run hot. The temptation is to stack them which makes them overheat. Also put them somewhere where they get a bit of airflow from a window etc. They really need fans.

They replaced the cable to house from road for me, but I'm still getting disconnects, less frequent though. One annoying thing was they chopped the connector off the cables I wasn't using, rather than just simply leaving them them disconnected. Nice.

I don't have two separate units. I just have the one piece of equipment UPC gave us.

keeping it cool would still be a good idea. Some people here have said turning off the firewall on the all in one cisco unit, solves a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Mines been down for 3 hours or so at the moment. Rage.

They have sales people going door to door at the moment trying to sign people up to their new packages etc. Maybe bend their ear.

I hope they come round this way. It's still down.

Did you try support. I got on to them recently and they were out to look at the problem very quickly. Within a week they had replaced a cable that was causing part of the problem.

Yeah I did in the end. Apparently there was a fault in the area yesterday which has been fixed but unfortunately my modem has lost contact with everything. Have to wait till Mon for a tech now!

It sounds like some of you are having a way worse time than I am of it. Mine was spotty the other day but -knock on wood- seems okay now.

• Advertisement

It sounds like some of you are having a way worse time than I am of it. Mine was spotty the other day but -knock on wood- seems okay now.
    Well the knocking on wood didn't help, it's been flaky again today, off and on again. Sigh.

Can you send me this information too? I'm in the same area and the issue seems to have come back again.
    Edit: The general times are between 11am and 3pm

I can't send you the details of the contact I have. I don't want the poor guy getting swamped with complaints. I promised him I would keep his name/email address private, and I will. Sorry.

Latest I heard from 2 days ago is that there is 'noise' on the line and work is being done to fix it. No idea on the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sorry for the bump...I was having problems again last Monday and Tuesday, connection drops, occasionally accompanied by preceding degradation of speed. I'm in Roselawn. For the prior month I'd been having intermittent problems, periods where there was lots of dropped connections and slow speed.

I called them up on Tuesday and they're sending out an engineer tomorrow morning. Is there any point to this? Will they be able to actually see the problems I was having? It's working fine the last few days, and probably will be tomorrow. But the problem is, we don't know if we can trust it to work. Is it worth mentioning "I read on boards that..." ? When I was on the phone there was no acknowledgment that there was a wider problem. Also, the following day we got an automated call asking if we wanted to cancel the engineer because 'it appears to us that your connection is now working'. Obviously, I declined to cancel.

LookingFor wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump...I was having problems again last Monday and Tuesday, connection drops, occasionally accompanied by preceding degradation of speed. I'm in Roselawn. For the prior month I'd been having intermittent problems, periods where there was lots of dropped connections and slow speed.

I called them up on Tuesday and they're sending out an engineer tomorrow morning. Is there any point to this? Will they be able to actually see the problems I was having? It's working fine the last few days, and probably will be tomorrow. But the problem is, we don't know if we can trust it to work. Is it worth mentioning "I read on boards that..." ? When I was on the phone there was no acknowledgment that there was a wider problem. Also, the following day we got an automated call asking if we wanted to cancel the engineer because 'it appears to us that your connection is now working'. Obviously, I declined to cancel.
    Identical issue, same area. They said they'd send someone out to the area and it's been okay since, but we'll see how Mon goes as that is a bad day for disconnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

So he came over, but really did nothing except replace our modem which he said was ancient.

He says that they had been having problems in the area recently, that the line was very noisy. He said it was at a node at the Bell, but they'd fixed these problems and the line now was 'clean as a whistle'. He didn't tell me when exactly they had apparently fixed their issues, so I can't say if I had problems before or after that time...but I guess I'll just have to trust that the issues are resolved.

Until it happens again :\ Hopefully not though.

I've raised two complaints in the last 2 weeks about this issue. I'm still waiting on a call back.

Despite getting the same information about The Bell node being fixed, the issue is still ongoing, though not as severe. Last I was told is that the issue has been raised to management in the Limerick call centre and that they had then informed the local network manager for this area of Dublin.

Now, The local network manager has been very helpful in the past with these type of issues, so I'm hoping he can help here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Wow I was looking into getting UPC, not now after reading all your troubles with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

UPC are currently carrying out a major upgrade in Corduff.

Most of the old cables are being replaced and they're even digging trenches in the road to lay down new cable.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

is coolmine woods/park/boulevard going to be able to get upc after this upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There were roadworks in Castlecurragh and the contractor's sign said "working for UPC - Fibre Power broadband coming to your area soon", which is nice except that I'm already paying for fibre power broadband.

Advertisement