Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping On Ireland's Eye

Options
  • 07-06-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Island in Howth Bay, has anyone camped on it. From my research seems its owned by fingal country counsil.

Is camping allowed ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

To find if it's allowed, you could ask the ferry people http://www.islandferries.net/, they would know.

The island is still owned by the Gaisford / St Lawrence family who own Howth Castle and other parts of Howth.

However, I wouldn't advise camping there at all, as there's thousands of rats, nevermind the sea birds dropping their 'bombs'. Sounds very unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

tricky D wrote: »
    To find if it's allowed, you could ask the ferry people http://www.islandferries.net/, they would know.

The island is still owned by the Gaisford / St Lawrence family who own Howth Castle and other parts of Howth.

However, I wouldn't advise camping there at all, as there's thousands of rats, nevermind the sea birds dropping their 'bombs'. Sounds very unpleasant.

Good point, i need a good camping spot near dublin :( where we wont get hassle from the local junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Good post.

I was only thinking of this the other day.

I remember my brother camped there years ago with the Scouts.
    I was very young at the time buit stories of rats nawwing at the guide ropes of the tents still stay with me!!! :eek:

However my brother was young at the time, so perhaps these tales were tall to begin with.....:pac:

So has anyone been on it and stayed the night during th esummer months in recent history....and if so, how did it go?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

acording to a friend of mine there is a maratime law in force where by nobody is allowed on the island unacomopanied after a certain time. there is one public way to the island by way of a ferry which stops at 6 every evening and as there is no lines of comunication that is why you are technically not allowed to camp. the scouts do camp on irelands eye as it is perfect for them. its away from pretty much everything but they have a guide and are in radio contact with the harbour at all times and the ferry is only twenty minutes away too.

Advertisement