Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fool

Options
  • 07-06-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Why is everyone I talk to (my teacher, classmates, friends, other friends, posters from boards) so sure that the Fool of all people is gonna come up in King Lear...he's a minor enough character. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Because he's a major character towards the progression of the play. I have a 5 page A1 essay on him ready and waiting... I hope to god he comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

How can you write 5 a4 pages on the Fool ? I haven't anything prepared on him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

God I hope he doesn't come up, we have an amazing teacher and I am fully confident that he has us completely prepared. We have no '5 page essay' prepared on the fool, he IS a minor character, anyway, our teacher said that if they have one really specific question they will also have one really general question so stop worrying.

I want an A in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

The Fool is a minor character, but plays a big role, if you get me. He is Lear's conscience through the play, if you are going to write about The Fool, you are essentially writing about Lear.

Ashashi wrote: »
    The Fool is a minor character, but plays a big role, if you get me. He is Lear's conscience through the play, if you are going to write about The Fool, you are essentially writing about Lear.

Exactly. If you guys want I can type up the main points and post em up at some point. But really, if you guys have work done on other themes and stuff you should be ok.

I really want him to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

@Fufureida .. Main points would be cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The fool and lears journey!

If Gon & Reg come up Im ****ed up the ass!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

He's never come up, not in like 30 years anyway! Why would he now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

duh cause everyone saying he will :p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

Seloth wrote: »
    The fool and lears journey!

If Gon & Reg come up Im ****ed up the ass!!!

Goneril and Regan, :eek: never even considered them... they will hardly come up??

• Advertisement

Goneril and Regan, :eek: never even considered them... they will hardly come up??
    They're hardly minor characters...

Could be in a Q on sibling rivalry or good vs evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

fufureida wrote: »
    Exactly. If you guys want I can type up the main points and post em up at some point. But really, if you guys have work done on other themes and stuff you should be ok.

I really want him to come up.

Please do post them up :)

Will do when i have time! Hope you guys will be able to decipher my writing... or would you guys prefer a sample answer that's in my book???

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Just remember a question on Cordelia has come up before - she's a key character but she's in it for much less time than the fool! So it is a possibility!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

theowen wrote: »
    He's never come up, not in like 30 years anyway! Why would he now.

That's not true he's come up twice. Once under style and once under a character question. It's basically the dramatic importance of his role. Why did Shakespeare include him etc. He's a tragic chorus, Lears consience and he provides relief from violent/serious scenes... Stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

ya know goneril and regan are possible, you could get parralel between lears 3 daughters and gloucesters 2 sons, instead of like a parallell between lear and gloucester

the other two i reckon could be possible is forces of good and evil, or filial ingratitude....possible. but then again anything is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

There's also the interesting idea that Lear has 2 evil daughters, and then there is Edmund, which could mean Edmund is as evil as the 2 daughters together kind of thing.

Just thought of that there, probably means nothing but meh, gonna use it if it comes up :P

That's not true he's come up twice. Once under style and once under a character question. It's basically the dramatic importance of his role. Why did Shakespeare include him etc. He's a tragic chorus, Lears consience and he provides relief from violent/serious scenes... Stuff like that.
    I meant by himself more so. Most people are implying he'd come up on his lonesome which would lead to many fails methinks:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

theowen wrote: »
    I meant by himself more so. Most people are implying he'd come up on his lonesome which would lead to many fails methinks:D

Ah right! Yeah he won't come up on his own but his role is a definite possibility.. He could possibly come up with Cordelia too.

Advertisement