Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Readmission & Grants

Options
  • 07-06-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I will be returning to full time education this year as a mature student. I left college 4 years ago having just finished 1st year. I have applied for readmission this year and the department that I am looking to do my degree with have already accepted me so hopefully all will go well with the admissions office (made my application, still pending). I am now mid 20's and living with my partner. Can anyone advise if I will be eligible for an LA grant? A friend of mine thinks that because I am returning to college I may not be.
    When I left I did not "un-register" correctly which meant that the college claimed my fees from the government for 2nd year, this means I will have to pay full fees for 2nd year. Will this make a difference with regards a LA grant?
    Any info on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 12bizzle

I have the same problem but theres a difference in mine.

I dropped out of hc course in business just after a year of it i couldnt hack it and it wasnt the direction i wanted to go, now ive applied for a new course with the cao i had taken a full college year out i was wondering can i apply for a maintenance grant??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

In order to be eligible for the grant for the 1st 2 years of your programme, you would have to have been out of full-time education for at least 5 years.

Because you didn't withdraw "properly" and thus were considered a registered student for the duration of your 2nd year, you won't be eligible for a grant for the 1st 2 years of your new course.

If you are out of full-time education for 5 years or more (having previously started but not finished a course), then you are considered a "second chance student" and the slate is effectively wiped clean.

Hope this helps,

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

thanks ditmature, exactly the info I was looking for

Advertisement