Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burns Dog food or royal canin for overweight dog

Options
  • 07-06-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi
    I had my dog on Royal canin obesity but then when off it cos we ran out so on a general low fat food at the moment .I'm now thinking of changing we were at a dog show and got samples and my dog seems to like but she quite picky so tomorrow she might hate it .
    Anyway would you reccomend it theres not much difference in the price so just want to give her the best chance shes been neutered and shes about 11 yrs old
    its the high oats she has tried

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Hi
    Anyway would you reccomend it theres not much difference in the price so just want to give her the best chance shes been neutered and shes about 11 yrs old its the high oats she has tried

I have my dogs on Burns chicken & brown rice. I have them on Burns about 6 months. My older dog (7) was overweight at 14kg - he now weighs 11.5kg. Had him in the vets recently and the vet said he looked very fit.

I have read on other forums people saying that in general dogs on Burns do lose weight and look very lean/slim.

I have been in touch with Burns a few times asking them about the weight of my dogs. The response I got from them each time was that studies show a lean/slim dog lives 2 years longer.

BTW, my dogs love Burns. Just be careful that you follow the feeding guidelines.

I don't know much about Royal Canin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ilovemydog123

hi
    that sounds good my dog about 20kg she needs to get down to 15kg i'd say .do you have your dogs on a lot of exercise ? I try to walk mine as much as i can but i have problems with my legs anyway my own vet doesnt stock it so will have to buy from a different one which i hope they wont be affended by thanks for your reply

hi
    that sounds good my dog about 20kg she needs to get down to 15kg i'd say .do you have your dogs on a lot of exercise ? I try to walk mine as much as i can but i have problems with my legs anyway my own vet doesnt stock it so will have to buy from a different one which i hope they wont be affended by thanks for your reply

I have cocker spaniels and I normally walk them about 45min/1 hour per day. Sometimes I don't get a chance to do it everyday but they still lost weight.

I would say even if you don't get a chance to walk your dog that often, feeding your dog Burns he'll still lose weight IMO. Just stick to the feeding guidelines on the back of the bag. Set your dogs daily food amount to his target weight. Maybe weigh the food on a scales to get an idea for the right amount. It might seem a small amount but Burns is good quality food so it will fill your dog up.

You can get Burns online. Best place is www.zooplus.co.uk

Check out http://www.burnspet.co.uk/

And http://www.burnsireland.com/ for a list of stockists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Every other thread I reply to lately is praising Burns - i don't work for them in case anyone was getting suspicious lol :D Our guy has lost weight on Burns after switching from RC Maxi Jnr. He hasn't been weighed in a few weeks so not sure the exact amount but you can visibly see the difference in him also his coat is shiny, no stinky farts, nice firm poops and a much calmer puppy! I get it from zooplus.co.uk but they also sell it in the vet. hospital in fairview strand if your near it in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ilovemydog123

Hi
    thanks you have been so helpful:)
    i think the decision is made to give it ago from your reviews it sounds good
    just wondering it says the high oats is good for overweight or could i try the other flavours ?:)

• Advertisement

Hi
    just wondering it says the high oats is good for overweight or could i try the other flavours ?:)

ilovemydog,

My dogs lost weight on chicken & brown rice but if you want to get further advice email Burn's nutritional team in the UK: info@burnspet.co.uk or ring their office in Limerick 061-330534.

They will advise. I have found them very good for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure about the adult food price wise but I had our youngest dog on royal canin puppy and it was nearly twice the price of the burns puppy food could of been just where I bought it but there was a huge price difference.

I feed all our dogs Burns, our dogs are all lean because they are so active none became over weight by feeding Burns so if your dog is a bit podgy it might be the one to try. Even the chicken and rice to start with and if the dog isn't loosing weight the low fat version might.

We feed the pork and potato now it's the one that agrees most with one of our dogs sensative tums so they all get it and are mad about the flavour even my parents fussy dog likes it.

Lots of dogs are fussy though but it's just a matter of sticking to it they'll eat it once they're hungry very tempting to give in to them mind you my lot will eat anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

I dont now why changing brand of food would make diference to dogs weight,dogs gain weight for 2 reasons.

1 .Its being over endulged by its owner,and is getting more food than it needs,are you sneaking it a few too many treats.
    2.Its not getting enough excercise,the dog should get ATLEAST! 1 walk a day.

you said the dog is 11,like humans the dog will gain weight as it gets older.it will require less food,it shouldnt be getting the same amount of food as it was getting when it was 5.becasue its an older dog more ecercise wouldnt really be possible if it has joint problems.

I dont think it maters what brand you feed(royal canin,burns,JWB)as long as its a good quality food.

my vet recomends when your dog need to loose a few pounds reduce the food you feed by a third.,it works and the dog will gradully start to loose the weight.

Advertisement