Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco losing internet access during large downloads..

• 07-06-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I think i may have read something here abouot this before.. I have the 2425 with

the firmware epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc.bin
    and the
    software version is epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc

the router is constantly losing connection to the internet. The wireless signal is grand its just net access im losing.. i notice it happens alot when i kick off large downloads say over 250mb.. i think i read here people in dublin were having a similar issue..

and of course UPC think there is nothing wrong.. after lots of phone calls and a couple visits they still do not have it sorted.. they didnt even think there was anything wrong it was only when the engineers came out that they accepted i had an issue..

does anyone know is there anything on my side or is it totally a problem they need to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Interesting you mention that.

I had a DL going on steam, it hit the 3GB mark roughly and then the net started getting massive packetloss.
    All was fine during the first 30 mins of the download, then it got sluggish. Took about 5 mins for it to stabilize again.
    Thought it may have been just DNS issues at the time, but it is interesting to see you mention the same issue on the same firmware

Firmware Name

epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc.bin
    Software Revision

epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Sparky wrote: »
    Interesting you mention that.

I had a DL going on steam, it hit the 3GB mark roughly and then the net started getting massive packetloss.
    All was fine during the first 30 mins of the download, then it got sluggish. Took about 5 mins for it to stabilize again.
    Thought it may have been just DNS issues at the time, but it is interesting to see you mention the same issue on the same firmware

Firmware Name

epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc.bin
    Software Revision

epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc

Im seriously annoyed seeing as though im paying top dollar for the 30 meg and getting a sub par service for ages now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Is the IP Flood Detection turned on on your modem?

(Log into the modem, go into Setup, go to Firewall, click on options, it's the second option from the bottom).

If it's on, turn it off.
    Should make a difference straight away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was having similar issues last week, this week seems fine though

(Log into the modem, go into Setup, go to Firewall, click on options, it's the second option from the bottom).

If it's on, turn it off.

So far so good with this excellent bit of tech support!! Thanks a million!! Hopefully it has sorted it for good!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

If it's on, turn it off.

Thats the solution right there. I was searching for a while on this issue. As soon as I disabled IP Flood Detection, my internet started working much faster, and still is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I did that as well as was hoping to get xbox live to work again but has made internet faster..... although no joy with xbox live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If it's on, turn it off.

sorry, silly question but I know how to log into my router, but how do you log into the modem (upc scientific atlanta)? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If it's on, turn it off.

Thank you, I just got 15mb yesterday and it was driving me nuts!!

sorry, silly question but I know how to log into my router, but how do you log into the modem (upc scientific atlanta)? Thanks.

Is it the UPC wireless modem you have, or a seperate router?
    This is a setting on the Cisco Wifi router that UPC provide, it's not on the Scientific Atlanta Cable router.

If you have the Cisco router, it's the same as before.
    Just type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser.
    Leave the username and password blank, and then click on the settings tab on the top right.
    IP Flood detection is in "options" under "Firewall".

• Advertisement

I did that as well as was hoping to get xbox live to work again but has made internet faster..... although no joy with xbox live

Have you forwarded your ports for Xbox Live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is it the UPC wireless modem you have, or a seperate router?
    This is a setting on the Cisco Wifi router that UPC provide, it's not on the Scientific Atlanta Cable router.

Ahh ok thanks. I have the Scientific Atlanta Modem which I have attached to a Buffalo wireless router....I didn't realise UPC now provided a wireless modem - would they change my modem for free?!

Ahh ok thanks. I have the Scientific Atlanta Modem which I have attached to a Buffalo wireless router....I didn't realise UPC now provided a wireless modem - would they change my modem for free?!

I don't know man, but there isn't really a resaon.
    If the Buffalo router is set up properly it'll work the same way.
    Have you troubleshooted your router network?

Ok so the IP flood detection fix has not worked for my problem.. Anyone have any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dubal

If it's on, turn it off.

went from 86% packetloss on pingtest to 0% with this 1 change

Cheers
    Dubal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Just bumping this.

I noticed my cisco router was back to default settings. Checked software and firmware and they appear to have been upgraded.

Firmware Name

epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc.bin
    Software Revision

epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Joining the bump, just called in to get UPC to come out and change the router. Issues with it randomly rebooting during the day - a pain for my VPN connections and the real annoying weekly or there-abouts factory reset. That forces a reconfiguration each time.

I would like to hope that it is this router and not a common issue, but from reading posts I think it is a general issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I had some issues last year with the connection going down and having to restart the PC and / or the Modem.

The issue i had was due to having an Nvidia chipset and Win7.

I had to install the Vista Ethernet drivers.

Just thought it might be of some use if anyone is having issues and have an Nvidia chipset.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I had some issues last year with the connection going down and having to restart the PC and / or the Modem.

The issue i had was due to having an Nvidia chipset and Win7.

I had to install the Vista Ethernet drivers.

Just thought it might be of some use if anyone is having issues and have an Nvidia chipset.

That's mad :eek:

I reckon the features on the router are poorly implemented. I've seen that if I enable IPv6 it just seems to stop all communication to and from the IPv6 device. It's not your PC or your chipset or your drivers, it's this yoke of a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

hshortt wrote: »
    That's mad :eek:

I reckon the features on the router are poorly implemented. I've seen that if I enable IPv6 it just seems to stop all communication to and from the IPv6 device. It's not your PC or your chipset or your drivers, it's this yoke of a router.

I don't have the router (i have my own with dd-wrt) and it definitely was the problem i mentioned above.

• Advertisement

i have now phoned upc at least ten times regarding this.. ive had answers from "Oh thats what happens when you download large files" (wtf!!) to "oh its because you router has always been on and you never restarted it" (not counting the reboots everytime the connection drops) (wtf!!) anyway im off on holidays for a week when i get back im getting this sorted once and for all.. pity because bar this i find the service great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

If it's on, turn it off.

You are a genius! Thanks so much, this has been a problem ever since I got connected, and with one change it's sorted. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Just bumping this, my router keeps restarting ad hoc, driving me nuts, UPC are unhelpful as ever so hoping for some insight

Got a router replaced yesterday for this issue it was dropping connections and random factory resets.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

I have a Scientific Atlanta cable modem connected to the White Netgear router they send out. On which device do i disable Flood detection, and how do i do it? Cheers lads

I have a Scientific Atlanta cable modem connected to the White Netgear router they send out. On which device do i disable Flood detection, and how do i do it? Cheers lads

Neither.
    The issue with flood detection is on the Cisco Wifi modem they supply now.

Check your connection on a cabled connection directly from the modem, and see if you're still having the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Neither.
    The issue with flood detection is on the Cisco Wifi modem they supply now.

Check your connection on a cabled connection directly from the modem, and see if you're still having the same issue.

It may be the issue with the Cisco WiFi modem is the flood detection - do believe me that us "poor souls" having just the plain ol' Scientific Atlanta modem experience these dropouts EVERY F****** time a large DL is started.
    I have personally spend hours (yes - literally HOURS) with UPS Customer Service/Support trying to explain this to them. I even had a tech our measuring everything through and replace the modem ... still the same.
    This is a widely known issue around the world with cable providers if you use friend Google - however UPC is doing their best to swat this ....
    Now - before everyone cries "Wireless; connect directly to modem; no routers; etc." this is known and of course has been tried :pac:
    So what to do - we are faced with a monolithic virtual monopoly (hey - where else to go for this kind of bandwith and usage limits huh :eek:) .... so we're stuck with their crappy denials etc.

Sorry for the rant - just my 2 cents worth ... and yes - I gave up :(

//Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rover09

If it's on, turn it off.

Thanks for this very helpful post, I was having consistent problems with Skype video calls being dropped after 10 minutes or so. Eventually I contacted UPC and their support team identified IP Flood Detection on the CISCO EPC2425 cable modem as being the problem. My thanks to them. However I feel there must be a number of people out there with the same problem, so it is important to spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drArgus

Thank you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Stone wrote: »
    It may be the issue with the Cisco WiFi modem is the flood detection - do believe me that us "poor souls" having just the plain ol' Scientific Atlanta modem experience these dropouts EVERY F****** time a large DL is started.
    i also have the sci atlanta modem and my own router (a Linksys WRT54GS running the tomato FW) and have not had any connection problems for a long time, despite a lot of torrenting and being a VERY heavy (200gb+ per month) user in general with multiple PC's online 24/7.

i regularly SSH into my router from work to use RDP onto my home PC's and have previously left the connection up for days with no issues whatsoever. it does sometimes timeout, but it's just a case of reconnecting and carrying on.

the current uptime on my modem & router is 69 days and that's only because i was tidying up my cabling and had everything unplugged for a while when i did it.

cable broadband connections are normally much more reliable than DSL connections are, so there should not be these sorts of problems.

i totally agree that the Cisco EPC2425 is a POS and i've gone out of my way to avoid it since i joined UPC, but with the sci. atl. modem and a (decent, i.e. not the netgear one from UPC) properly configured router you shouldn't be having any connection problems at all unless there is a wider issue in your area or with your line.

maybe i'm just lucky, but i should be running the same FW on the sci. atlanta as everyone else, so if there was a wider problem with it, i should be affected too.

Advertisement