Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mopeds

• 07-06-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all I,m a new user to this site and looking for some advice on mopeds. I need to buy one to commute about 8 miles each way to work mon to fri. I have full B licence and need to keep car for weekends. want to know what is a reliable make of moped and how new should I get. Also cost of running one i.e tax, insurance, petrol and upkeep.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

novdan wrote: »
    Hi all I,m a new user to this site and looking for some advice on mopeds. I need to buy one to commute about 8 miles each way to work mon to fri. I have full B licence and need to keep car for weekends. want to know what is a reliable make of moped and how new should I get. Also cost of running one i.e tax, insurance, petrol and upkeep.

What sort of route will you be travelling ?

Mopeds are not really cut out for dual carraigeways and are restricted to 45km/h now.

I dunno how 45km/h was determined but in my experience that is too slow even around the city as there aint always traffic.

You could always have the restrictors removed but I think your insurance will not pay out if there is an accident and they see the restictors are out.

Tax I think is €58. Insurance will probably go on age but I dont think it will be too high.

A full tank could probably get you 100/120km.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

You should look into Honda Zoomers if you are interested in travelling light with the moped. They are quite basic to look at, but they are a 4 stroke engine which will be much less droney than the equivalent 2 stoke moped engine. They look great too but there isn't much going for them in the area of storage.

They also have a wide range of parts available for them for quite cheap as there are many enthusiasts across America and Japan including other parts of the world. There are a number of parts from a company called "Polini" which you can purchase for cheap such as a variator which will raise the top speed slightly to make the journey a bit more bearable.

Honda as trusted a manufacturer as you will find but you may find that the bikes are priced on the higher side of mopeds but I personally believe that you get what you pay for with these things.

Obviously if you are looking to do it on the cheap there are much cheaper alternatives which will do the same job for a smaller price tag second hand. Aprilia, Vespa (expensive enough ), NRG etc. there are many different kinds. If you call into a local shop you will be able to check out the prices and find out some of the different models. Then just search for reviews and other information about the bikes such as certain pitfalls that they may have or common problems and work from there. Also, if you see some adverts for bikes that you may be interested in, post them up here and people with experiences of them will be able to advise you on the best route to take.

Good luck on your search for a moped!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your B licence wont cover you for over 49cc and may not cover you for even that, depending on when it was issued.

Advertisement