Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this OK for a beginner

• 07-06-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

yes it's one of those which bike threads. I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

I want to try and get fitter and shift a small bit of weight so have started doing a bit of road cycling lately. I have been using an old Raleigh Mountain Bike and have slowly increased from a couple of miles up to about 15 on some spins. I know thats not much by the standards of some of the experienced cyclists on this forum:)

unfortunately I only had a lend of the MTB and had to give it back so am looking at getting an entry level road bike. I have a very limited budget and to be honest don't want to spend a fortune in case this is not something I will really take to.

This http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_759101_langId_-1_categoryId_212536 seems to be reasonably priced at the moment. any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Have you considered buying used? You'd probably be able to get a better bike for the same price. This one is very "entry level" which, if you decide it's not for your means you haven't invested too much money on it. But if you really enjoy cycling you might find that this bike won't cut it after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I agree. I'd look for a second hand road bike. Loads of people start cycling and upgrade from these entry level bikes - so they are always coming on to the market. You may have to wait a while to get the one you want.

I'd also pop into a few shops and actually get a ride on one or two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

It's a fine bike for a beginner imo, but if you are not familiar with the maintenance of bikes, it may be better to check your local bike shop and see if they have something for your price range, they warranty them and do all the adjustments necessary to tweak the shifting etc after a few hundred miles.
    But like the poster above said, you may be able to get a good used bike in your price range. The way I went was I used my beginner bike as a winter bike after I upgraded, but did not initially want to splash out a lot of money and maybe not be as enthusiastic about riding as I thought I would be.
    Good luck and what ever you get, ride it like you stole it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm down Limerick way so might pop into Cycling Pursuits and see if they have any second hand bikes coming in any time soon.

Advertisement