Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions . I havent a clue

Options
  • 07-06-2010 4:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭

hi. hows it goin? im 29 now and i have worked for a couple of different companies since ive left school. i know the first company i worked for , i paid into a pension scheme and then i was made redundant. what i need to find out is how much i have paid into pension schemes and also where would be the best place to start a pension. i really really havent a clue about them. so any information about them would be appreciated, no matter how big or small u think the information is. is there anywhere i can call and give my pps number to see how much ive paid?? etc. etc ? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I'd 99% of people on company pension schemes are in the same boat! Simple, bullet-point style information seems impossible to get! I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

cool. hopefully a few financial advisors might see it and give us a dig out.!!!

When you leave employment, it is standard procedure that you would receive 'leaving service option papers'. These would give details on contributions, values and what your options.

Have you any recollection of getting these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

tom thum wrote: »
    hi. hows it goin? im 29 now and i have worked for a couple of different companies since ive left school. i know the first company i worked for , i paid into a pension scheme and then i was made redundant. what i need to find out is how much i have paid into pension schemes and also where would be the best place to start a pension. i really really havent a clue about them. so any information about them would be appreciated, no matter how big or small u think the information is. is there anywhere i can call and give my pps number to see how much ive paid?? etc. etc ? thanks
    With regards to starting a new pension you're unlikely to get inot a final salary scheme now unless you're very lucky. Your employer may be willing to (or already is?) contribute into a defined contribution scheme. If you're going it alone you'll need to speak to an independent financial advisor who can give you whole of market advice on your best options i.e. which provider to use.

One thing to be aware of though is some advisors don't charge you but gain their renumeration through commission from providers. A minority of these move pension schemes between providers so that they keep on earning initial commission. This is known as "churning".

Anyway it is good you're thinking about this at your pesion at your age. :):) Many people don't do this and end up with an inappropriate income at retirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

When you leave employment, it is standard procedure that you would receive 'leaving service option papers'. These would give details on contributions, values and what your options.

Have you any recollection of getting these?
    hi. i dont remember getting these papers. its a good few years ago now. but i think it was the cif i was with. i didnt pay that much into it , i dont think. but id stilll like to know.

• Advertisement

You can contact the CIF here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 umpsty

You should get all you need from the your previous empleyer if they are still in business? Cotact their HR department.

Regarding starting a new pension are you loking fr a new job, if s perhaps wait to see if they have a pensin scheme. If you want to start your own pension then you should talk to an independent financial advisor and start a PRSA.

Advertisement