Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C English-correcting it, is it fair??

Options
  • 07-06-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭

Long time viewer, first time poster.

Was only thinking today when i was puttin in a few hours before the exams about correctors.

I know all go to conferences in Athlone about marking etc...and are told exactly what to do but my mind cant help but think there is such variety in what people will write and every corrector will be different that one paper might get an a off one person and the same paper might only get a c?

I think this would only apply to english, more so english paper 1.

E.g

Some chap from carlow writes an essay with all sorts of violence, drug dealing etc etc....in it. His paper is sent to cork city and a young 30 year old male corrector is given his script to correct and loves it (language,mechanics etc..) and gives him an A on it.

Now, imagine the same essay gets sent to a 62 year old nun working in the local convent in sligo to be corrected, she in turn might hate it and the idea and so on and gives him a low C grade.

This is the only problem i have with the whole l.c exam, and i know it cant really be adressed but still...

Has anyone ever thought this way?? I think its not the wildest accusation ever made now but then again :rolleyes:

Good luck with exams people!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

I totally agree with you.. I have had 3 different teachers since 5th year and I've gone from getting A's in all my work down to C's then back up to A's again.. It's totally subjective but then again what's the solution??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Yep I think the same, got an A in the junnior cert but only getting in the low c's range in the teachers exams. Then in the mocks for a speech I got low marks but my teacher couldn't praise it enough and would have probably given it an A. Very subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

That's true that's why you need to be objective and selective in what you write just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I wonder about this as well but if you look at the marking schemes they do have to stick to a certain criteria for each essay.
    A friend of mine got 100/100 in 2008, on the personal response on a beautiful place and described the mind physically, emotionally and mentally and probably described the place in detail, then Why it's beautiful and etc. I reckon that's what they look for. There's generally key words in the title you have to hit right and I think that's what they mark you on.
    I don't think it's down to the examiner whether they like it or not on the actual thing - it has to fit the type of essay they look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭klose

I totally agree with you.. I have had 3 different teachers since 5th year and I've gone from getting A's in all my work down to C's then back up to A's again.. It's totally subjective but then again what's the solution??

I dont think there is a solutions, i think the paper is fair and well thought out but this cant ever be fixed, theres too many variations on it gender,age,background and so on........i guess if ya think ya should get more just get it rechecked??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Wait til it goes on the day - I know a friend of mine who believed his english essay was 'amazing' yet I think did terrible in english and I can see why - I imagine it was a creative idea but written badly.
    Let's hope it's something we can get 4-5 pages out of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah thats why I like Physics, biology etc. You're either right or you're not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭klose

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Let's hope it's something we can get 4-5 pages out of!

Here here, i personally like the picture stimulus questions :)

Advertisement