Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice areas around the city?

Options
  • 07-06-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Was hoping that someone could tell me what the nice areas are around Galway City for living.
    Moved to Galway not knowing the city and seem to have landed myself in Beirut.
    I'd rather not say where I am living, but if people could tell me the good and bad areas of the city for living in I would appreciate it.
    Kind of want to get out of Beirut asap...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Almost everywhere within a 10 mile radius of the City is nice, only problem would be some routes into the City can be a traffic nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

it all depends on price (renting?), distance to centre that you'll tolerate, mode of transport (de bike is your only man in this town), etcetc... north and east of the river is alright IMHO... but hop on a bike, take a pedal around and get a feel for the place..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

galwayrush wrote: »
    Almost everywhere within a 10 mile radius of the City is nice, only problem would be some routes into the City can be a traffic nightmare.

is everywhere really nice?
    westside?
    ballinfoyle?
    ballybane?

I would also avoid city centre as it can be quite loud at night. avoid anywhere on the party route

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fuinseog wrote: »
    westside?
    ballinfoyle?
    ballybane?

I would also avoid city centre as it can be quite loud at night. avoid anywhere on the party route

I said almost.....:rolleyes: and i meant commuting to town from within a 10 mile radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

Castlepark's to die for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That's got to win the award for most sweeping generalisation of the year!

All of the major sh*t holes in Galway are within a 10 mile radius of the city.

OP do a search and it should return a lot of searches on this top.

Salthill, Taylor's Hill and Bushypark are all very nice and close to the city too. Rent will be higher but it's to be expected.

I've no experience of living on the east side of the city so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The $64M question is .. which side of the river are you working/studying on?

What's good depends on your definition, however in general "nice" is:

West: Barna, lower bit of Knocknacarra, Salthill, Claddagh, Taylors Hill

City: The Docks

East: The bits of Renmore that are closer to the city, bits of Roscam, bits of Oranmore

Just 'cos a place isn't on this list doesn't mean I think it's "not nice". There are plenty of other places that I'd be happy to live on. But these are areas that many people would name as the nicer ones in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Renmore is very nice, Shantalla is ok, Old Mervue isn't too bad, most of Newcastle is ok, City Centre could be noisy, Bushypark is nice enough, Pretty much everywhere along the Headford Road except for Ballinfoyle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Lived in Renmore for the last year, found nothing wrong with it. Doughiska/Roscam is nice aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

jd007 wrote: »
    Lived in Renmore for the last year, found nothing wrong with it. Doughiska/Roscam is nice aswell.

Wouldn't recommend Doughiska. That's where I live and I'm a dublin scumbag and i'll rob ya!

But other than that I think the Doughiska/Roscam area is a nice area. (Not Fearran Ri though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Menlo is lovely and is an easy cycle into town

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Fuinseog wrote: »
    westside?
    ballinfoyle?
    ballybane?

I said almost.....:rolleyes: and i meant commuting to town from within a 10 mile radius.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    That's got to win the award for most sweeping generalisation of the year!

All of the major sh*t holes in Galway are within a 10 mile radius of the city.

I'm pretty sure he meant by all areas within a 10 mile radius of the city he meant excluding the city itself like Oranmore, Clarinbridge, Claregalway, Barna etc. Thus the comment about some routes into the city being congested.

Nice areas of Galway for me are Salthill, Knocknacarra, Circular Rd, Dangan, Newcastle, the Claddagh, Tirellan, Castlelawn, Renmore, some parts of the centre (College Rd, Lough Atalia, Docks, Merchants Rd, Long Walk), Wellpark, Mervue, Tuam Rd.

Not so nice areas: Some of Westside, Rahoon, Ballinfoyle, Castlepark, noisy and rowdy parts of the centre.

I don't know about Doughiska or Roscam but they seem alright.

I have to agree with JustMary, there are places that I've heard people say are 'not nice' that I consider fine to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah, cycle around and have a look. Are there neighbours chatting to each other? Pride in Gardens or homey feel to the houses? Is there a mental pub next to the houses? An abbatoir? :p Is the view so lovely that you'd forgive other things. What about road noise?

It's all relative. In general I would mostly agree with the places mentioned as 'nice', but there are even parts of them that are even less savoury (to me).
    Same of the 'not so nice places' - there are lovely areas within those (particularly Rahoon, which actually stretches into the 'countryside').

View them both day and night if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ah go on OP, tell us where you're living. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Sherifu wrote: »
    Ah go on OP, tell us where you're living. :D

I'll tell you when I move out of here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JeffDynamite

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Was hoping that someone could tell me what the nice areas are around Galway City for living.
    Moved to Galway not knowing the city and seem to have landed myself in Beirut.
    I'd rather not say where I am living, but if people could tell me the good and bad areas of the city for living in I would appreciate it.
    Kind of want to get out of Beirut asap...

I feel for you lad, I really do. There are three major irritants in this city:

(1) Students (the city's life's blood unfortunately) getting pissed to the point of pointlessness every night of the week. If you live near them, they yell to feckin 6 in the morning and don't give a sh*t what you think about it.

(2) The Buckfast crowd.

(3) <snipped by biko>

To make things worse, local coppers are into the softly, softly approach. If you ever get robbed, beaten, or slashed, the best you can hope for is them showing up 45 minutes later to write down the details and then say they can't do much about it.

This city was nice 5 years ago, and even better 10 years ago. As for the future, its only going to get worse.

What you should have done was get an overpriced short-term lease in Salthill and then found a new place from there. If you have a car maybe check out places like Barna or Oranmore (public transport isn't an option). If you actually want to live in town, the southwest parts of the city and maybe Newcastle are your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I was living off the Headford Road, not going to say where exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'd say anywhere near the back of the hospital could suit you well, Moyola, Clifden Park, Hazel Park etc. So much cheaper now that the students are no longer about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galwayblah

Of course it depends on your lifestyle but as someone born and bread, best Galway locations would be:

City Centre:
    Salthill
    Newcastle
    Renmore
    Roscam
    Foster Court
    Riverside
    Castlegar
    Knocknacarra is ok but its the most built up housing estate area in the city and so wouldn't fancy it (slang for it is knocknatallaght!) but rent would be reasonable.

Suburbs:
    Barna
    Moycullen
    Oranmore
    Clarinbridge
    Claregalway

Bearing in mind Galway is one of the most congested cities in Ireland for traffic. Traffic is bad on both sides of town.
    Although most suburbs on west side of city are beautiful..... they are cul de sac areas!.... as you have to cross the city to get to any of the major road networks to access the rest of the country!..... not good if you're a rep!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks but this thread was started in 2010 by someone who has since left the site.
    Do stay and add to other current threads but refrain from bring very old threads back, thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement