Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the longest shot on target taken with a .22 rifle

Options
  • 07-06-2010 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

This should be interesting, no exagerations now people!!!

My own record stands at 126 yards i was using a winchester subsonic hollow point 40 grain bullet, it was a sunny evening with a light breeze directly to my back which didnt affect my first two practice shots, I was firing a cz brnu .22 rifle with moderator fitted, i was in the prone position with a bipod.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

116231.jpg

20 rounds to score at 100 yards in wind at Comber rifle range, prone with sling from an Anschutz 19xx series club rifle that dates from the 1980s (number 8 for the DURC posters). Tied the club record (198/200).

116230.jpg
    (not me, but it was that firing point under similar conditions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Whats the longest shot on target taken with a .22 rifle

Interesting question, sharpshootermurphy. Should get some interesting replies!

Yes, but what were you trying to hit?

A bunny?

A bottle?

Or a barndoor?

That will make all the difference!:rolleyes::D
    no exagerations now people

Good luck with that!:D:D:D:D;)

My best .22lr shooting to-date, with a factory-standard CZ452 with Lapua CentreX outdoors prone off bipod at 100yd was a 0.75in 5-shot group. Haven't bettered that since! Unfortunately!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

lol silly me, should have said what i was shooting at. i was shooting at a visi shot target its about 4 inchs in diameter. i dont have a picture at at the moment but i will post one soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Personally never shot at or hit anything past 100yds myself.

My father however took a shot at a rabbit in an abandoned sand quarry at 181yds with a CCI stinger (HV). Holdover was about 2.5-3 feet. Zero was 50yds. He will admit himself it was part luck. Was fired from an Anschutz 1710, rested on a large stake with hunting sand bag to rest on. That was about 4 years ago. Never made another like it since.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    Interesting question, sharpshootermurphy. Should get some interesting replies!

Yes, but what were you trying to hit?

A bunny?

A bottle?

Or a barndoor?

That will make all the difference!:rolleyes::D

Good luck with that!:D:D:D:D;)

My best .22lr shooting to-date, with a factory-standard CZ452 with Lapua CentreX outdoors prone off bipod at 100yd was a 0.75in 5-shot group. Haven't bettered that since! Unfortunately!:(

Not me, but a young chap from around Portlowsey shot balloons on a training licence for his fathers 1710 Anschutz.

He was popping them @400 with at least 20 witnesses. He had a hold over of 12 feet on the butts @ 400 at the time to be on target, all with the aid of a good spotter.

if you ask around dC you will find out who he is, you deffo know him or his dad, both crack shots ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hi Juice!
    Thanks for the vid - But........
    "A 22 can hit stuff at 400 yards" - That's a given.
    But yer man on the first vid took, at my count, at least 15 shots before he just clipped the baseball hat. That's just not good shooting TBH!

15 shots to get on target.....Pants.
    And, I might add, a wee bit irresponsible seeing as yer man didn't even know where his first 5 - 9 shots were landing.

Worked out his drops by ballistic calculator - He did in his hole! Or if he did, he didn't have a clue about drops and hold-off.

Don't try this at home, folks!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sparks wrote: »
    116231.jpg

20 rounds to score at 100 yards in wind at Comber rifle range, prone with sling from an Anschutz 19xx series club rifle that dates from the 1980s (number 8 for the DURC posters). Tied the club record (198/200).

116230.jpg
    (not me, but it was that firing point under similar conditions)

bloody good shooting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

This should be interesting, no exagerations now people!!!

My own record stands at 126 yards i was using a winchester subsonic hollow point 40 grain bullet, it was a sunny evening with a light breeze directly to my back which didnt affect my first two practice shots, I was firing a cz brnu .22 rifle with moderator fitted, i was in the prone position with a bipod.

i have shot bunny's at 140y head shot. the last mil dot on my scope is 150y and i have popped plenty of rounds in a decent enough group at that all while up the mountain havin fun so i have no pic to prove it i do have a pic of a 10 round group at 75y that was no bigger than my thumb nail, i posted it in here someplace i just cant find it right now.

this pic below is my finest work to date a 3 shot group on a 6" steel plate @ 500y with my .223 using 75gr hornady match

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/233297/107052.jpg

when i find that other pic i'll put it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Thats some fine shooting with the .223 ;)

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Thats some fine shooting with the .223 ;)

I think I found a range for it to be tested
    116233.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

That should allow for a 1mile shot ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Best for me was 124m (135yards), using a range finder, head shot on a rabbit. ANd it also took out another rabbit 5y behind it. Using Eley subs 40gr.
    My CZ 22lr is zeroed @50m and I dialed in 8MOA, the shot was taken prone with bi-pod in field conditions.

clivej wrote: »
    Best for me was 124m (135yards), using a range finder, head shot on a rabbit. ANd it also took out another rabbit 5y behind it. Using Eley subs 40gr.
    My CZ 22lr is zeroed @50m and I dialed in 8MOA, the shot was taken prone with bi-pod in field conditions.

my old .22lr '50 was ~4" @100 what was the drop @ 135 yards for those not famliar with MOA?

my friend who is here beside me is interested as he has a browning .22lr

To be honest id say my furthest shot was partly luck and i had taken shots previous to see where they were hitting, i have also witnessed a friend of mine shooting balloons at 300 yards with a cz .22 shooting cci stingers he was aiming approximately 8 foot over the actual balloon in order to hit them. Most of my shots are well within 100 yards anyway i wouldnt really try for anything further unless there was pretty good backstop. Has anyone ever tried the range in Athy Co. kildare?? ive only heard about it recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Best recorded shot I have made was 129 yards, range finder, Annie 1710 heavy barrel, CCI Velocitor, bunny, hit him in the shoulder :D

As soon as this rain stops im going to take the gun out and try a few shots at 150 yards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

my longest shot to date was 158 paces(not sure about yards) on a fox with cci stingers, hit him in the forehead. i shouldn't have gone for it but i was pretty sure of the shot. :confused:

my longest shot to date was 158 paces(not sure about yards) on a fox with cci stingers, hit him in the forehead. i shouldn't have gone for it but i was pretty sure of the shot. :confused:

Them cci stingers are powerful in their class.

Good shooting 1 pace ~ 1 yard if you have ~32" leg and pace normally ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

CCI Velocitor are even better than Stinger :eek: Article in one of the UK magazines last month or this month. "Sporting Rifle" I think it was.

Stingers are a great bullet though for anything 100 yards or more ;) Some rifles, especially Sakos have trouble chambering them though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hit a half submerged old metal barge at about 400 yards once.

It was a bit bigger than a rabbit at about 60 feet long!

Advertisement