Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first timer !

Options
  • 07-06-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

hi everyone. 1 st time on this board. i would like a few recommendations for walking in co.cork. definitely not fit so i would like to get there. easy walks to start with and managable distances for a newbie !
    i will be walking in my nike runners . hope they will be ok , so i suppose im looking for gentle terrain/ path walks. any suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Have a look here.
    http://www.discoverireland.ie/walking/looped-walks/looped-walks-by-county.aspx

And don't be afraid to spend a little money (if you can) on essentials like a day bag (gotta have a picnic/raingear/extra layers/water/food) and boots - your feet will thank you if they're well supported and relatively dry, and you'll enjoy the walk a lot more!

Try this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055661133&highlight=gougane

which in turn contains links to other threads.

I appreciate that you may want to try a bit of walking before shelling out money on it, but would echo Prenderb's comments. Torc in Killarney, which is an hour and a half from the city, can be done with runners on a dry day, there is a path and sleepers laid all the way up - but even there if you decide to get a bit more adventurous and bag Torc West you have to cross a bog. There is also a lovely walk on a tarred path around Muckross Lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

thanks for replies guys. will check out the sires you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

hi everyone. 1 st time on this board. i would like a few recommendations for walking in co.cork. definitely not fit so i would like to get there. easy walks to start with and managable distances for a newbie !
    i will be walking in my nike runners . hope they will be ok , so i suppose im looking for gentle terrain/ path walks. any suggestions much appreciated.[/QUO

First decide what distance you would like to walk. Also what part of Co.Cork you would be hoping to go. Plenty of paths and tracks around although Cork is a big county and it may be better to narrow it down so as to avoid driving too long a distance.

will check out the sires you mentioned

Think this belongs to nathan's single men thread!

• Advertisement

apologies.. typo;) . def belongs in this thread :)

johnayo wrote: »
    i will be walking in my nike runners . hope they will be ok , so i suppose im looking for gentle terrain/ path walks. any suggestions much appreciated.[/QUO

First decide what distance you would like to walk. Also what part of Co.Cork you would be hoping to go. Plenty of paths and tracks around although Cork is a big county and it may be better to narrow it down so as to avoid driving too long a distance.

i suppose johnayo , we were thinking about 2/3 hr walk. west cork would be ideal. its more the terrain id be worried about. i dont think id be fit enough for steep climbs/drags. a flat walk to start on would be great.

Seven Heads walk? Countryside around Barryroe looks pretty gentle, but not sure of terrain, path, bog etc.

http://www.sevenheadspeninsula.ie/Brochure.htm

http://www.sevenheadspeninsula.ie/MapRoutes.htm

johnayo wrote: »

i suppose johnayo , we were thinking about 2/3 hr walk. west cork would be ideal. its more the terrain id be worried about. i dont think id be fit enough for steep climbs/drags. a flat walk to start on would be great.

Nice coastal path from Timoleague to Courtmacsherry. Fairly flat even terrain. Should be good for a start.
    "West Cork Walks" by Kevin Corcoran is a book worth getting. I think this book is around a long time but I guess most of the walks are still there.
    There are some lovely walks in the woods in Glengarriff as well, off road, but not too strenous. Have a look at the "Sheeps Head Way" as well. Some of it is difficult but parts of it are beautiful.

You will probably find something good in this link as well.

http://www.drimoleaguewalkway.com/walks.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement