Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed my exams!! what will i have to do???

Options
  • 07-06-2010 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hi, i go to ucd n i had a bad year, i failed 5 out of 7 in the first semester n i repeated 3 of them along with my other 5 second semester subjust i failed 1 repeat n 2 other exams, i hadn't a high enough gpa to compensate any fail, i got 35 credits out of 65, will i have to repeat first year????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I think you go into "Stage X" next year, probably take some 2nd year modules, repeat the fails with the rest of your exams at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paul 101

so i will always be a semester behind the people in my year??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

paul 101 wrote: »
    so i will always be a semester behind the people in my year??

Yes, I know three people that this happened to who I started college with. One chap just graduated six months after me, another just finished his final exams (a year after me). UCD will let you take a certain number of stage two modules but it's usually a few until you make up the exams you failed, then on passing, you go into second year then. It's a convoluted system.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

You will stay in Stage 1 until you reach at least 50 credits - there is no such thing as Stage X. You will have to resit any Semester 2 modules you failed in Semester 1 (usually at the Christmas exams, but you need to contact the module coordinators to confirm), and if you failed resits this semester, then you will need to repeat the module in Semester 1 next year (if they are core - if they are electives you can either choose to have another attempt or substitute them for a different elective module, though this is more expensive).

Depending on how quickly you catch up, you may graduate later than your class. But I think it's better to take it slowly and pass modules well and finish later rather than rushing to catch up and ending up with a crap degree at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you got 35 out of 60, you need 50 at least to get to the next stage. I would repeat if I was you, otherwise it gets very confusing for grants, make it a clean cut take the hit this year and repeat and pass at least 50 credits, then continue on with your grant and less headaches about mixing year x and x+1 modules timetable clashes might also further fook things up for you if you do that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paul 101

thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it, i think i will repeat n get a new start on things, hopefullt i will b better prepared next year

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

You don't repeat the whole year - you can only repeat modules that you failed. So you simply stay in Stage 1 until you have earned at least 50 credits.

Advertisement