Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acelerometer!!!

Options
  • 07-06-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Any chance someone can put the information I need for it up in lay-mans terms? No engineering jiberish please :P or as little as possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

i dont do engineering, but i know its tha yoke thats in wii's..yano, ya move it ta tha right, tha thing on tha screen moves ta tha right,,etc... oh, & its in laptops too! if tha accelerometer detects your laptop is falling, it backs up ur memory on its hardrive :D

hmm..readin back over what i just wrote, thats gonna be no help ta ya at all.. :/ sorry.. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

what exactly is it that you don't understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

My teacher printed off a copy of this for each person in our class, and nothing else. I went googling to see if there was anything else that could come up that wasn't in that handout but I didn't see anything. Nothing all too complicated really... The piezoelectric thing is kinda hard to understand but if you're not bothered about understanding it and can just learn it by heart you're sorted cause it's easy to learn. Happy studying! :)

Handout

EDIT: Also, ajjmk, with the laptop thing, they'll be very picky about that. You need to say it parks the hard drive disk, meaning it stops it dead so it won't shatter from the impact. It doesn't back anything up to the hard drive, that's where all your data already is! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

germanicus wrote: »
    what exactly is it that you don't understand?

I know what it is and does I know products that use them, I need to know what MEMS are and some of the diagrams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

DGRulz wrote: »
    I know what it is and does I know products that use them, I need to know what MEMS are and some of the diagrams

Dude, you're not reading carefully enough :p

MEMS are Micro Electro Mechanical Systems. It's what you'd use when talking about any tiny little device which has moving parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

EDIT: Also, ajjmk, with the laptop thing, they'll be very picky about that. You need to say it parks the hard drive disk, meaning it stops it dead so it won't shatter from the impact. It doesn't back anything up to the hard drive, that's where all your data already is! :P

ah was close enough.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Dude, you're not reading carefully enough :p

MEMS are Micro Electro Mechanical Systems. It's what you'd use when talking about any tiny little device which has moving parts.

I know that, but they hardly accpet that as an answer my teacher has been marking me down all year for not giving huge long winded answers

Advertisement