Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Networking Issues

• 07-06-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All,

Ok I've a network set-up with 2 Mac's, 1 PC and 1 Printer..

The Macs are working fine and connect together and with the printer ok. My problem is with the Windows PC. I have manually set-up a connection to the shared printer via one of the macs using the ip address. This means that every time the mac changes its ip address I loose the connection to the printer and have to set it up again :(

Does anyone know of a better way of connecting this up? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Give the mac that's sharing the printer a static IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

SickBoy wrote: »
    Give the mac that's sharing the printer a static IP address.

How do I do that if you don't mind explaining?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Not sure how to do it on a mac but a quick google found this link
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4547882_configure-static-ip-address-mac.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

There are usually two ways to do this.

The first way, as SickBoy indicates, is to tell the OS to use a specific IP address. To avoid conflicts, you should take a look at your router's DHCP pool and pick an IP address that is in the subnet but outside the pool. In the example below, anything from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99 should be safe to use. On Linksys routers, the subnet is normally 192.168.1.0/24 with DHCP pool starting at 192.168.1.100 so 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 should be safe to use.

The second way (the method I use) is to get the MAC address of the computer/print server/device that you need a static IP for. You can then configure the router to always assign a specific IP address to that MAC address (Static DHCP in the example below).

di-524-dhcp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

doubtful the op has your specific router. Also unless the op has around 100 pcs floating around the dhcp isn't going to matter. rfc2131:dhcpdecline prevents dhcp colliding with static.

+1 to SickBoy's ehow link

Or....

Computers should have names. If you go to network on your windows machine you should find somewhere where you can list all the computers on the network. Connect your printer to \\name\printer instead of \\ip\printer and it shouldn't make a difference if your ip changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

wolfric wrote: »
    doubtful the op has your specific router.
    I don't have a DI-524, I use a WRT54G. The feature is available on many routers.

Advertisement