Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller head stones at Drumcliff cemetary.

• 07-06-2010 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't get over the size of some of the travellers head stones at this cemetery. Some must be at least 10 times the size of some of the more discrete plots.

How would someone feel if they purchased a family plot for their loved ones and next thing one of these hideous monstrosities appeared right beside it.

Planning permission should be sought for any headstone in a cemetery and a special designated area should be made available for those that want something extraordinary. .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I couldn't get over the size of some of the travellers head stones at this cemetery. Some must be at least 10 times the size of some of the more discrete plots.

How would someone feel if they purchased a family plot for their loved ones and next thing one of these hideous monstrosities appeared right beside it.

Planning permission should be sought for any headstone in a cemetery and a special designated area should be made available for those that want something extraordinary. .

Couldn't agree more but you know what you're in for now.... RACIST!!! The pc brigade will have a field day with this

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I'm very confident that those buried in the adjacent graves are not complaining or really give a toss for that matter.
    Those that visit the graves for the very most would only have to look at them for no more than 5 minutes anyway.
    If it gives the families comfort, what harm is it doing.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

It never ceases to amaze me how a "poor" family on the dole can afford a 70k headstone.
    :mad:

golfball37 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how a "poor" family on the dole can afford a 70k headstone.

and Porsche Cayennes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jealousy is a b1tch

• Advertisement

Because they don't give a fook, they live their lives the way they want to live them, and fair fooks to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not sure if I have seen the drumcliff ones but have seen pics of other ones which were totally obnoxious and should not be permitted.

It would be upsetting to dignified grieving relatives to have a a monster-truck style oversized tasteless monstrosity of a headstone placed beside a loved one.

They are completely out of character and not in keeping with the concept of dignity you'd expect in an Irish cemetery. This has nothing to do with discrimination or jealousy, and it's not envy of a proclaimed 'maverick' mentality - it's about taste and respect for others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Last time I was up there all I could think of what Only Fools and Horses when they painted their mother's headstone with luminous paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jealousy is a b1tch
    It would make more sense to spend the 70K+ in this life.

BTW I would choose cremation. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

What's wrong with just a normal sized one?
    I really don't get some people at times.
    And it wouldn't be just people of the travelling community, there's just some people out there that can't respect others.

Yea, they can choose how they want their loved ones grave to look like but it's kinda ridiculous when you could use the money on something else like supporting the deceased's next in kin or something. I'm sure that's how they'd want the money to be used and not on some big flashy stone.

But some people shur....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'd be nice to keep a certain level of taste across the board keep things looking tidy. But it's such a big cemetary at this stage I don't think it has much character to maintain anyway.

Not many know this but there is an ancient bylaw going back to 1873 stating that persons living within 2 miles of Drumcliff Cemetary cannot be burried there.

Interesting.
    I wonder what was the thinking behind such a law.
    Anyone have any info ?

Interesting.
    Anyone have any info ?

Yes, if people are still living how can they possibly be burried. :D

What's wrong with just a normal sized one?
    I really don't get some people at times.
    And it wouldn't be just people of the travelling community, there's just some people out there that can't respect others.

Yea, they can choose how they want their loved ones grave to look like but it's kinda ridiculous when you could use the money on something else like supporting the deceased's next in kin or something. I'm sure that's how they'd want the money to be used and not on some big flashy stone.

But some people shur....

travellers are religious people, and they want to send their love ones off the way they want to send them off, simple as

what's wrong with a normal sized car, why do people buy bigger/better cars? because they can afford to and want to

Interesting.
    Anyone have any info ?

religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭MiciG91

Ya fair enough but not when they get the ****ing beggars plot :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think it's nice that they can use their Dole money in this way. Clearly, they are in need of this handout.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

The Da always liked airplanes, so in the 1990s when the offer came up to purchase a plot in Dardestown cemetery, under the approach flight path at Dublin airport, he jumped at it. He got the cancer about 7 years ago and he’s there now.

At the back of his plot is a row of Traveller’s graves. And yes, they’re quite big and ornate. Sometimes when I’m up there talking to the Da or asking him for advice I meet the Travellers and we always talk about the graves, their sons and brothers who are buried there.

The real deal is that I fly about once a week and always get a seat in “A”, at the window. This means I get to see my Da about once a week. I give him the thumbs-up as we come in to land. Now hurtling towards Collinstown runway at about 200 kmph in a metal tube full of highly flammable liquid makes finding one headstone in a cemetery a bit difficult, but this is where the Travellers come in. Even at this speed from the window of an Airbus 321 I can pick out the tall Traveller’s headstones, I can then pick out my Da’s as the one at the back.

So thanks to the Travellers I get to see my dead Da about once a week. Deadly serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

As far as I know it is ultimately up to the local authority to impose a height limit. There was some kerfuffle about this issue on the radio ages ago. RTE where interviewing people regarding gravestones in a certain cemetery which had been built so massive that they were in danger of toppling over. The councils need to get off their asses on this. It is absolutely unseemly going to a graveyard to grieve only to be surrounded by these vulgar and potentially dangerous monuments. Perhaps a uniform size for all gravestones would be better.

• Advertisement

Yes, if people are still living how can they possibly be burried. :D

Run to da hills 1
    Fireside chat 0

Drake66 wrote: »
    As far as I know it is ultimately up to the local authority to impose a height limit. There was some kerfuffle about this issue on the radio ages ago. RTE where interviewing people regarding gravestones in a certain cemetery which had been built so massive that they were in danger of toppling over. The councils need to get off their asses on this. It is absolutely unseemly going to a graveyard to grieve only to be surrounded by these vulgar and potentially dangerous monuments. Perhaps a uniform size for all gravestones would be better.

No

travellers are religious people, and they want to send their love ones off the way they want to send them off, simple as

what's wrong with a normal sized car, why do people buy bigger/better cars? because they can afford to and want to

Islamic extremists are religious people, should we let them bomb the western world in the name of Allah or Mohammed or whoever they think they're representing?

Didn't think so, so why let travellers take all dignity and humility out of the graveyards? They're one of the last places in the country that the Celtic Tiger hasn't managed to cash in on, one of the last places someone can go to reflect on life.. or death! But we're supposed to give that up to a group who, in my opinion, play the victim card far too often for my liking. I'm all for respecting other poeples rights, just so long as "other people" can respect my rights.

Islamic extremists are religious people, should we let them bomb the western world in the name of Allah or Mohammed or whoever they think they're representing?

Didn't think so, so why let travellers take all dignity and humility out of the graveyards? They're one of the last places in the country that the Celtic Tiger hasn't managed to cash in on, one of the last places someone can go to reflect on life.. or death! But we're supposed to give that up to a group who, in my opinion, play the victim card far too often for my liking. I'm all for respecting other poeples rights, just so long as "other people" can respect my rights.

lol @ even comparing the two

Travellers do play the victim card, i agree, and i also say fair fooks to them because it this day and age it's the only way to get ahead in life.
    Society is set up so that if you play by the rules you rarely come out on top, so why even try

Its kinda going off topic now, we're verging into the merits of being a scrounger or trying to earn a living, instead of whether you should be allowed to erect a monstrosity in a place of peace and reflection.

I've made my case. Being a self proclaimed "ethnic minority" doesn't give people the right to do what they want purely because they can get away with it.

If you do wish to discuss the aforementioned merits, start the thread...

Its kinda going off topic now, we're verging into the merits of being a scrounger or trying to earn a living, instead of whether you should be allowed to erect a monstrosity in a place of peace and reflection.

I've made my case. Being a self proclaimed "ethnic minority" doesn't give people the right to do what they want purely because they can get away with it.

If you do wish to discuss the aforementioned merits, start the thread...

Ok so what if they found maddy mccann(or someone high profile), would people react in the same way if her parents had a big fook off gravestone?

Ok so what if they found maddy mccann(or someone high profile), would people react in the same way if her parents had a big fook off gravestone?

I'd hope so. The one difference in that is that her disappearance is, and possible subsequent death would be a tragedy. A memorial like that would be used as a symbol for a life "taken too soon", or as a place where people suffering similar traumas could go to reflect and possibly draw hope. If something similar happened within the travelling community I'd expect people to make allowances, I'd like to think I would. The problem is that even if a child from the travelling community was to die in such circumstances, the grave would be lost within the rest of the headstones and memorials that are way over the top. So what happens then? Do they go ten feet higher just to make sure its more prominent than the others?

The headstones in Drumcliff aren't all tragic cases of "gone before their time" so there's no reason for them to be shoved into peoples eyeline.

Is it really asking too much that they might conform with society for once? And then if something like the above did occur, people might have a semblance of pity for the situation they're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

I couldn't get over the size of some of the travellers head stones at this cemetery. Some must be at least 10 times the size of some of the more discrete plots. well get over it:rolleyes:,you make a visit or just happen to pass by the graveyard and decide to have a go at the travellers for the size of the headstones:mad: unreal.you just couldnt admire the headstones and see the beautiful artwork in them or just for one second,think about how some of them died.

How would someone feel if they purchased a family plot for their loved ones and next thing one of these hideous monstrosities appeared right beside it. id feel fine about it......why wouldnt someone?:rolleyes:

yeah.......keep them seperate in death just as we did while they were alive,thats the way to do it:mad:
    Couldn't agree more but you know what you're in for now.... RACIST!!! The pc brigade will have a field day with this
    predigest
    I'm very confident that those buried in the adjacent graves are not complaining or really give a toss for that matter.
    Those that visit the graves for the very most would only have to look at them for no more than 5 minutes anyway.
    If it gives the families comfort, what harm is it doing.?
    no harm at all,if the op had even bothered going to funerals he would have seen these headstones a long time ago.but because for whatever reason he makes a once in a blue moon visit there he decides to pass judgement on a group of people who choose to honour their dead by erecting beautiful headstones.
    you know all the traveler families buried there do you?

i know one traveler in Ennis worth an estimated 30million.owns a load of property and land,i have no doubt he paid for most of these headstones,so stop talking nonsense about travelers bieng on the dole when some of your own pals and extended family no doubt are claiming welfare.i dont know you,but i do know that there isnt one poster on boards who doesnt know someone who isnt unemployed!!
    and Porsche Cayennes
    fair play to them
    Because they don't give a fook, they live their lives the way they want to live them, and fair fooks to them
    exactly
    MiciG91 wrote: »
    Ya fair enough but not when they get the ****ing beggars plot :mad:
    id say if you looked into your own family history,your ancestors probably were at the head of the que with the begging bowl similar to most other families in ireland.:mad:
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I think it's nice that they can use their Dole money in this way. Clearly, they are in need of this handout.
    ok blackjack.......would you give a traveller a job? no you wouldnt,like every other anti traveler poster on here........give them no job but at the same time give them no dole is the attitude.:mad:

yeah.......keep them seperate in death just as we did while they were alive,thats the way to do it:mad:
    Yes exactly if they want to be building hideous light blocking monstrocities. Its their choice. A headstone can look "expensive" without being hideous.

A cemetary in Shankhill South Dublin has strict regulations on head stones sizes, proper order for those that already have loved ones burried there. And yes I know someone burried in Drumcliff almost 7 years, fortunitally they are at the other end.

y
    i know one traveler in Ennis worth an estimated 30million.owns a load of property and land,i have no doubt he paid for most of these headstones,

Why dosen't he just buy a fcuking cemetary. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

I remember hearing a story about that graveyard and travelers, not sure of its veracity though.... it revolved around a well known now deceased trader in Ennis who when their wife died built one of those rather grand monstrosities of a headstone. Part of this rather large headstone was partly constructed of a perspex installation... the rather pious former husband used to go up every night to light a cigarette in honor of his deceased wife who was a particularly committed smoker... on one occasion and under the strong influence of drink, he managed to burn the the grave down... the perspex up in flame alerted locals who called the fire brigade... when they arrived the noticed a strange smell in the air (other than burning plastic) the alerted Gardai found the one of the deceased sons was using the glasshouse effect as a means to grow hash plants on his mothers grave!! would love to know if was remotely true!!

Advertisement