Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller head stones at Drumcliff cemetary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dasium wrote: »
    I remember hearing a story about that graveyard and travelers, not sure of its veracity though.... it revolved around a well known now deceased trader in Ennis who when their wife died built one of those rather grand monstrosities of a headstone. Part of this rather large headstone was partly constructed of a perspex installation... the rather pious former husband used to go up every night to light a cigarette in honor of his deceased wife who was a particularly committed smoker... on one occasion and under the strong influence of drink, he managed to burn the the grave down... the perspex up in flame alerted locals who called the fire brigade... when they arrived the noticed a strange smell in the air (other than burning plastic) the alerted Gardai found the one of the deceased sons was using the glasshouse effect as a means to grow hash plants on his mothers grave!! would love to know if was remotely true!!

Never heard that one.

I heard this one from a mate of mine who works as an undertaker in Dublin. A traveller was being buried in Deansgrange cemetery, as they lowered the coffin someone noticed that the coffin was not sitting level on the ground. IE stone sitting under it.

The immediate family didn't notice it at the time but it was mentioned about a month later. The family could not sleep on it and were adamant to exhume the coffin and remove the stone to level it. Could ou imagine the peggy dell in the area. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

ok blackjack.......would you give a traveller a job? no you wouldnt,like every other anti traveler poster on here........give them no job but at the same time give them no dole is the attitude.:mad:

It's not about whether I would give them a job. Do you consider it appropriate for Social Welfare recipients spending several Thousand on a headstone?. The money is not given to people to bling up graves FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Blackjack wrote: »
    It's not about whether I would give them a job. Do you consider it appropriate for Social Welfare recipients spending several Thousand on a headstone?. The money is not given to people to bling up graves FFS.
    the money is theirs to spend it how they wish until a law states otherwise,not how you'd like them to spend it.as i said earlier,a few families would have paid for the larger more expensive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

yeah.......keep them seperate in death just as we did while they were alive,thats the way to do it:mad:

predigest

no harm at all,if the op had even bothered going to funerals he would have seen these headstones a long time ago.but because for whatever reason he makes a once in a blue moon visit there he decides to pass judgement on a group of people who choose to honour their dead by erecting beautiful headstones.

you know all the traveler families buried there do you?

i know one traveler in Ennis worth an estimated 30million.owns a load of property and land,i have no doubt he paid for most of these headstones,so stop talking nonsense about travelers bieng on the dole when some of your own pals and extended family no doubt are claiming welfare.i dont know you,but i do know that there isnt one poster on boards who doesnt know someone who isnt unemployed!!

fair play to them

exactly

id say if you looked into your own family history,your ancestors probably were at the head of the que with the begging bowl similar to most other families in ireland.:mad:

ok blackjack.......would you give a traveller a job? no you wouldnt,like every other anti traveler poster on here........give them no job but at the same time give them no dole is the attitude.:mad:

I'd prefer to live in my house than on a halting site, its their choice to live there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

While it is mostly travellers who put up these gigantic headstones, others
    are starting to do the same. The sooner regulations are brought in, and enforced, with regard to maximum height and spread of headstones, the better for everyone with the exception of the Monumental Works who must be making a fortune on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone got any pics of these skyscrapers??

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

I ask the question again ,
    Who are they harming ?
    Why do we feel threatened by anything that is not the norm in this country. They are expressing their individulism and their culture and we should be open to accepting that, and also realise that they are leaving their mark for future generations to acknowledge their existance.
    In years to come these graves will be of great importance when future intelics study previous generations of irish culture.

Who are they harming ?
    They are obviously not going to harm anyone that is buried in the place. :p

I certainly would not like to see a hideous eye sore blocking sun light or obstructing my family plot and I am sure others would agree.

This also seem to be a status game, one family wants to better the next by building something more hideous as what happened in Co Kerry a family built a head stone so big that it towered the average headstone 10 times. Fortunately locals kicked up about it and the county council forced them to replace it with something more discrete. The same will only happen here if left to go on unchecked.
    Why do we feel threatened by anything that is not the norm in this country. They are expressing their individualism and their culture and we should be open to accepting that, and also realise that they are leaving their mark for future generations to acknowledge their existence.
    In years to come these graves will be of great importance when future intelics study previous generations of irish culture.
    Nothing to do with cultures, this building of monstrosities is relatively new, and just as travellers like to be seen in stretched hummers on their communion or wedding day they also like to be buried under marble sky scrapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Who are they harming ?
    Why do we feel threatened by anything that is not the norm in this country.

Because it's different, that's why. ;)

Complaining about a luxury that one section of Irish society (who are otherwise systematically discriminated against) indulges in, while our Supreme Ayatollah is allowed to continue to lead this country with impunity, despite the fact that he is blatantly exposed as an architect of this economic mess by the Director of the Central Bank... The OP and his supporters really have their priorities right on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Drumcliff in Sligo?

There is a planning application requirement, subject to Bye-laws in Sligo. For example

35. A Headstone shall not be greater in height than 1.22 metres (4.0 ft.) above ground level on a single plot grave space and shall not be greater in height than 1.40 metres ( 4ft. 6”) above ground level on a double plot grave space. On a triple plot grave space the headstone shall not be greater in height than 1.53 metres (5.0 ft) above ground level. Each headstone shall be kept in line with adjoining headstones and shall be faced in the direction indicated by the Caretaker of the Cemetery.

Do they exceed the regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Balagan wrote: »
    are starting to do the same. The sooner regulations are brought in, and enforced, with regard to maximum height and spread of headstones, the better for everyone with the exception of the Monumental Works who must be making a fortune on them.

I can't believe people want regulations to stop other people from saying farewell to their loved ones

Got any more pointless rules you want to enforce on everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I can't believe people want regulations to stop other people from saying farewell to their loved ones

Got any more pointless rules you want to enforce on everyone?

The people who erect these don't abide by the rule of law from my experiences so it would only be a waste of time trying to enforce a pointless rule ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

How much? I think I'm going to become a stone mason.

If I was erecting something in a space that was going to be frequented by many other grieving people then I'd show some discretion. But I'd respect other peoples right to inconvenience people in death just as they did in life. Just wouldn't catch me dead (badum tish) in that graveyard because it's too big and tacky at this stage.

How much? I think I'm going to become a stone mason.

If I was erecting something in a space that was going to be frequented by many other grieving people then I'd show some discretion. But I'd respect other peoples right to inconvenience people in death just as they did in life. Just wouldn't catch me dead (badum tish) in that graveyard because it's too big and tacky at this stage.

I know a stone mason on the Lahinch Rd that makes a killing (excuse the pun) every October tiding up / shot blasting/ calligraphy etc travellers graves before all souls around the country.

Because it has to do with death and suspicion he never has a problem with payment. He was telling me one plot had in excess of e10,000 of work put into it. Travellers graves are usually spotless this time of year, some with expensive ornaments etc on the plot. No one dares remove them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Travellers graves are usually spotless this time of year, some with expensive ornaments etc on the plot. No one dares remove them.

cause if they did, they'd be needing a gravestone:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

the money is theirs to spend it how they wish until a law states otherwise,not how you'd like them to spend it.as i said earlier,a few families would have paid for the larger more expensive ones.

Good to know that you consider this to be an appropriate waste of Taxpayers money.

Nothing to do with cultures, this building of monstrosities is relatively new, and just as travellers like to be seen in stretched hummers on their communion or wedding day they also like to be buried under marble sky scrapers.

Culture is fluid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Nothing against you Balagan, it's just a general rant, but that is the attitude that absolutely makes me scream about the Irish.
    Yes, we need regulation regarding headstones, the smell of aftershave, the width of cats, the angle of rooftiles, the colour of socks worn on Tuesdays, availability of asparagus over the Xmas period and if you're allowed to tuck your shirt into your pants.
    Don't like the look of someone? Call your local TD and have him sort out some laws!
    It's this sick attitude that everyone can be forced to cooperate by forcing them through legal means.
    Soon it will be enshrined in law how you're supposed to wipe your arse (3 sheets, one up, one down and one to polish).
    No one will ever live beside people they always like, be it they're attitude, appearance, unkempt lawn, old banger of a car and, as in this case, their headstones.
    But has anyone ever heard of dialogue? Talking to the other person?
    Not in Ireland, if someone does something you don't like you go to the gards, your solicitor and your TD about it.
    Maybe I wouldn't like some Fools and Horses headstone beside a loved one's grave, but before I go and start some campaign for the proper regulation of the appearance of headstones in cemeteries I would probably assess if now I have enough time in my life to start something that is A: positive and B: worthwile, maybe work for charity or something, because as soon as thoughts like that would enter my head I'd know that I had WWWAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to much time on my hands.
    It's an attitude like that that gets springboards and ladders removed at Kilkee because "a proper Health and Safety audit has to be performed on them"

Nothing against you Balagan, it's just a general rant, but that is the attitude that absolutely makes me scream about the Irish.
    Yes, we need regulation regarding headstones, the smell of aftershave, the width of cats, the angle of rooftiles, the colour of socks worn on Tuesdays, availability of asparagus over the Xmas period and if you're allowed to tuck your shirt into your pants.
    Don't like the look of someone? Call your local TD and have him sort out some laws!
    It's this sick attitude that everyone can be forced to cooperate by forcing them through legal means.
    Soon it will be enshrined in law how you're supposed to wipe your arse (3 sheets, one up, one down and one to polish).
    No one will ever live beside people they always like, be it they're attitude, appearance, unkempt lawn, old banger of a car and, as in this case, their headstones.
    Not in Ireland, if someone does something you don't like you go to the gards, your solicitor and your TD about it.
    Maybe I wouldn't like some Fools and Horses headstone beside a loved one's grave, but before I go and start some campaign for the proper regulation of the appearance of headstones in cemeteries I would probably assess if now I have enough time in my life to start something that is A: positive and B: worthwile, maybe work for charity or something, because as soon as thoughts like that would enter my head I'd know that I had WWWAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY to much time on my hands.
    It's an attitude like that that gets springboards and ladders removed at Kilkee because "a proper Health and Safety audit has to be performed on them"

You'll be hearing forthwith from my solicitor!

You're originally from a European country, right? Some European countries have pretty stringent rules about gravestones/memorials. How about yours?

You're originally from a European country, right? Some European countries have pretty stringent rules about gravestones/memorials. How about yours?

Just checked on Google Earth and it seems we also are still a european country.
    Can we not be unique and original and not follow the trend of other countries.
    I forgot that wouldn't be possible cause we would have to open our minds
    and think outside the box, Something we are not comfortable with doing.

• Advertisement

bang on

\
    Just checked on Google Earth and it seems we also are still a european country.
    Can we not be unique and original and not follow the trend of other countries.
    I forgot that wouldn't be possible cause we would have to open our minds
    and think outside the box, Something we are not comfortable with doing.

If you are willing to open your mind enough to be happy to bury your granny between two gigantic marble headstones with life sized etchings of men holding pints in their hands, then, by all means, exercise that right. It would not be my choice nor would it be the choice of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

\

If you are willing to open your mind enough to be happy to bury your granny between two gigantic marble headstones with life sized etchings of men holding pints in their hands, then, by all means, exercise that right. It would not be my choice nor would it be the choice of many.

I would have more compassion than to erect a monster around any of your familes' graves (god forbid).

people will view death many different ways. Respect, celebration etc

graves should not impinge on others views.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

German, me.
    Been here since '94 and was young enough not to have to care too much about graveyard regulations at the time ;).
    I'm pretty sure the Germans have all the regulations in the world and in fact they do.
    And that's part of the reason I came here of all places, I met all these really cool dude Irish in Germany and thought "wow, Ireland must be the most relaxed and laid back country in the world, bit like a European Jamaica", but having lived here for a while that is no longer the case (or never was), all you hear is bints on the radio going "oh we must regulate this and have a law for that and forbid the other and this isn't very good and I don't like that and all young people should be locked up and bring back hanging and so on and so forth (must stop reading the papers and listening to the news)".
    Ireland in my mind is falling into the same trap Germany fell into, regulate everything and invent a million new laws, they make no one happier, they serve no purpose all they do is make people that little angrier, more bitter, resentful of each other and life and everyone only thinks about "oh, can he doe that, should I call the police".
    In Munich there are people living in high rise buildings several miles away from the beer gardens.
    Come closing time they get the binoculars out and if they see lights on they call the police.
    Not because they're disturbed (though they might be), but simply because they're bitter, resentful, evil people.
    (Monumental Cliché of the day) Can't we all just get along? :cool:

This forum is getting absolutely swamped with riff raff these days. I remember the time when I could sit on this forum sipping martinis without being bothered by commoners with usernames like "Fighting Irish". How absolutely horrid.

I'm in half a mind to extradite myself to the Clare Herald forum, except the name Herald has all sorts of working class connotations.

This forum is getting absolutely swamped with riff raff these days. I remember the time when I could sit on this forum sipping martinis without being bothered by commoners with usernames like "Fighting Irish". How absolutely horrid.

I'm in half a mind to extradite myself to the Clare Herald forum, except the name Herald has all sorts of working class connotations.
    What???

Fighting Irish has been about 8 years according to his signiture, and you are about just 6 months unless you are a duplicate poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What???

Fighting Irish has been about 8 years according to his signiture, and you are about just 6 months unless you are a duplicate poster.

He may just have been posting sarcastically.. Possibly.. ;)

CiaranMT wrote: »
    He may just have been posting sarcastically.. Possibly.. ;)

I do that a lot, but in this thread, no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

We had a local bloke shot dead in his Hi-Ace - so, naturally, his family decided it would be fitting to have a large marble sculpture of a Hi-Ace van on his grave. Complete with registration plate...

I know it makes me a bad person to snigger when I walk past it.

• Advertisement

You have to be making that up. I need a picture of this.

Advertisement