Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Surfing

Options
  • 07-06-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Have just come back from a weekend of surfing in lehinch. this was my first time and really enjoyed it. Just wondering what the surfing is like in Tramore as it's closer to where i live. Is it good for beginners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

I could be wrong but I don't think it's consistent as beaches in Clare, Donegal and other west coast areas. Keep an eye on magicseaweed.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I mainly go out to Tullan in Bundoran but have surfed in Tramore once and it was ok. The waves were small but steady and fine for beginner boards. Very close to shore so not a very long break.

Although my friends had been there before and they said the time I was there was the best they had seen it. I would say it would be good if you lived relatively close, but from Dublin i'd rather drive the extra half hour to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Have just come back from a weekend of surfing in lehinch. this was my first time and really enjoyed it. Just wondering what the surfing is like in Tramore as it's closer to where i live. Is it good for beginners?

Your profile says you live in Lucan so you'd be on the N4 in seconds. As beginners beachs go you can't get much better than Enniscrone, the N4 has hand massive upgrades done and it's 3 hours to Enniscrone 2 1/2 to Strandhill. The main thing is that it's easy driving as you aren't stuck behind a slow car for long... also Sligo is much more consistent.

As for Tramore, yes it gets wave but not nearly as much as the west coast saying that Tramore has produces some very good surfers. Also beginners have lower standards of waves for learning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Cheers guys. I mentioned Tramore because the wife is from Kilkenny and we'd be down there regularly at weekends. Tramore is just an hour from her parent's place, so it would be dead handy for us. Will give it a bash next time we're down and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It was my first time, in Tramore. Surfing, of course. And first surf lesson. And first lightning into the sea.
    The beach was always quite safe, a little side current one just one rip current. But comparing with the west coast, a little less waves there, unfortunately.
    Some very very old pictures are here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement