Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 home router vs digiweb base package!!

• 07-06-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

hi. i have my wireless broadband with digiweb. its a 5mb with 20gb download for 35euro a month. was looking to cut my bills of late and get a cheaper package or one that gives better value for money.had got a trial o2 home router for a couple of days,surfing was ok,download speed was bought half the speed of my digiweb but they are only 20euro a month and would get a 15gb monthly allowance and at least i would get to use all that 15gb,as we know even though i get 20gb a month with digiweb u dont fully get 20gb due to there rolling average system they have. so was going to ring digiweb up to cancel and they offered me 3mb with 15gb download allowance for 20 euro a month. was thinking would i be better off sticking to digiweb or are giving o2 a shot. there is not other really any other decent option out there. just live outside limerick city but dont want to get a landline and dont want to use those usb modems either.any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

O2 will soon go the same way as Voda and Three and offer max 10Gb for €20 a month as against 20Gb for €35 a month. However contention is unmanaged and very few extra users in the cell will drop the speeds sub 1mbit and latency will always be horrible meaning that voip/phone line cannot work.

There is no comparison between good fixed wireless and mobile...mobile will always be unreliable unless you live very close to the mast ( 1km or less) and you will get what you pay for.

The "3mb with 15gb download allowance for 20 euro a month" offer will beat O2 and remember that if you bust your cap with Digiweb they throttle you to 128k untill you get inside the cap again.

O2 will simply charge you €20 a GB ....there goes the budget and with it the savings :(

make a firm resolution not to watch youtube or rte player any more and the new cap shall suffice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have an eircom line ditch it and save €26 a month. Otherwise think how Digiweb is saving €26 a month.

O2's mobile isn't Broadband. I'm 900m from O2 mast and never got more than 0.7Mbps and sometimes didn't connect (that's less than 1km for those that can't do metric). latency was a poor 120ms to poorer 270ms.

I've had Digiweb Metro for almost 5 years. I get < 30ms latency on Digiweb and about 7.6Mbps on my 8Mbps package. 9km outside Limerick.

If you want broadband, you need to economise on something else.

The only other decent options in Limerick are DSL Digiweb/Smart or Magent (more expensive) or UPC (only in City).

Advertisement