Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rewiring light fittings

Options
  • 07-06-2010 7:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

hi all..

the light in my hall isnt working, im trying to put a new light up but can make head nor tail of it..

this is it

electrics.jpg

and im tryin to connect it to this

electrics_2.jpg

also,, while we are at it..

im tring to put a new light switch on the wall..

this is the one currently connected

electrics_3.jpg

and i want to put this one on

electrics_4.jpg

any help would be great,, thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

come on people, im running out of natural light, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

First of all, there are 2 wires coming to ceiling fitting, one is live when switched on and the other is neutral. now connect your light fitting by connecting the brown wire to the live in ceiling and the bloue wire to the other one
    Dont change the switch until you have your light working first
    lets know how you get on then we go to switch change. OK?

There is no need to connect earth wire (green and yellow) cos light fitting is plastic

The original light switch is a double switch so the new one is a single as far as I can see.

thanks for the reply.. but im useless at this

there are two thick wires coming from the ceiling. one is connected to the little box this, and the other, brances off into 3 wires. a yellow, a blue, and a brown.

then, i have the light with 2 wires coming out of it, a blue and a brown.##

in that transparent connector thing in the first photo. there are 8 compartments.

so what wires do i connect where? sorry for the hassle..

the double switch is for the light in the sitting room, so nothing to do with the light fitting. the double switch controls the 2 sitting room lights which i was gonna merge into the one dimmer switch. is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

what color is the centre core of the single grey cable.(at a guess i would say blue)
    keep all the same colors connected to each other
    join corresponding colors of new light fitting

• Advertisement

to do dimmer
    take wires from com and put both into bottom left connection
    take other 2 single wires and put both into l1
    make sure power is off when working on switch and light

doesnt have a colour,,, just comes out to a metal bit connected into the plastic box at the left..

there is not enough room in the little holes for the 2 cables of equal colour to go into. ie. the blue wire from the ceiling fitting will fit in, but not with the wires from the light bulb part

meercat wrote: »
    to do dimmer
    take wires from com and put both into bottom left connection
    take other 2 single wires and put both into l1
    make sure power is off when working on switch and light

whats com ???? and what about the wire connecting the top right and bottom left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No offence OP, but if you are really struggling with this basic level, then get a professional in

For the light fitting, it doesn't matter how many fancy wires are there. There are only two cables coming into the existing fitting from the ceiling after you remove it. I'm betting that as i look at that pic, the left is the live (brown) and the right is the common (blue, com)

Re the switch, is the first one a double and the second a single?

On the ceiling disregard all the wires except the 2 main ones coming from the the ceiling, look where they are connected on the brass with holes and connect the 2 wires from bulb to same leaving only 4 wires connected. 2 out of ceiling and 2 from bulb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

No offence OP, but if you are really struggling with this basic level, then get a professional in

I`d have to agree

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fingers McGee View Post
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    I`d have to agree

well lads its like this. if youve never spoken french, and every now and then, someone throws in a french word of phrasing. your NOT gonna understand it. im struggling with basic level because ive never studied electronics. simple.

so when you talk about stuff like - "one is live when switched on and the other is neutral" and you dont say which is which, how am i meant to know. and coms and single fittings and **** :):):)

so here we go. if you can explain in simple dumb english for me, because im not gonna pay some smug git 100 euro to piss about for an hour with a 2 minute job, thank you.

i should have taken propper pictures for you guys, so my fault. so i have this

2 gray wires coming FROM the ceiling. one is connected into the thing at the top (picture), and the other gray wire splits into 3 wires. 1 blue, 1 brown and 1 yellow (picture)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70739037@N00/4693791246/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70739037@N00/4693156785/in/photostream/

so do the corresponding colours connect to each other.. but how? in which holes in the connecter. from say, 1-9 left to right. eg.

the brown from picture one in the 1st hole, the brown from picture 2 in the second hole ????

and what about the yellow wire thats already connected on its own down the bottom ??:confused::confused::confused:

photostream

photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ullickmagee

OP , here is the lowdown on your situation:

If you are not competent to work on the description below please get someone in to have a look

you have what is known as a twin and earth cable going to your ceiling rose,( The Clear palstic in your first photo) this is the cable with the blue , Brown anYellow/Green wire, the yellow /Green is the earth wire and need not be touched.

From looking at your photo of the switch is looks like some Cowboy took an unforgivible short cut and joined all the Neutrals( Blues ) In a connector( White plastic tingymajig)in the back box of your switch:-(
    So what you need for your light to work is as follows, a wire from the switch( your switch wire) up to the ceiling rose(see above), this is the live cable and in your situation will more than likley be the Grey cable on its own
    you need to connect the the brown wire from your pendant ( the yokeymebob with the bulb) to the connector block next to this(or no 2 as you look at the connections from left to right)

The blue wire will be your Neutral and will need to be connected to the Blue wire on your pendant( see above), you can connect the blue from your twin and earth to connection number 9 or furthermost on the right and the blue from your pendant to connection no.8 or second from right.

at this stage your light should activate upon pressing the switch.

now you will have the brown from your twin and earth left, this you should connect to one of the centre connections >
    you need not worry about it if the light comes on.

I would however suggest that if you are struggling with any of this you should get someone in to have a look , if not an electrician, a decent
    D.I.Yer should be able to help.

Let us know if this works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Given that it seems that some cowboy originally wired this, it is dangerous to assume that he was adhered to standard practice....so the blue wire may not in fact be the neutral.

Get a competent person to sort this for you, if not a professional electrician, as the previous poster rightly says, then at least a decent DIYer....no offence meant, but you stand a reasonable chance of ending up with an unintentional perm if you persist.

E

All blue wires together
    all brown wires together
    yellow on it's own
    find the color of the centre core of the grey wire on it's own and connect that to it's corrosponding connection(probably blue)
    make sure power is off
    by the way that so called smug electrician is one of us who has trained and qualified in his trade.
    Were here to help You but if we have to call we deserve to be paid
    cheers

Package wrote: »
    Quote:

well lads its like this. if youve never spoken french, and every now and then, someone throws in a french word of phrasing. your NOT gonna understand it. im struggling with basic level because ive never studied electronics. simple.

Well there is a bit of a difference between not understanding frence phrases, and having a go at electrical work when not having a clue about them. Having an attempt at french when not havin a clue will result in getting a few words wrong. Having a go at an electrical job can result in a more serious outcome. Someone said you seem to be struggling with the basics so you should get
    electrician to sort it. He was not having a go at you, he was giving you his advice.

thanks a lot for the help guys. and yeah i know what ya all mean.. all i was saying was. what i expected was.

put the blue wire from the gray wire on the left into the 1st hole. put the blue wire from the light bulb connection into the second hole and so on.. not a bunch of words and instructions i didnt understand. but now its ooking a bit clearer so thanks you ya all. ;)

it was like that when i came here, disconnected and wired as you see, so i had no clue of where to start but ill give them instructions a go and see if im still alive to repost later ;)

plus. no offfence to you leccies, i know you all work hard at what i do, but i cant afford to pay anyone to connect it and some, like in ALL professions would rip the piss, ya know what im saying ;)

anywho, ta again :p

ok. update. i did everything ullickmagee said and still nothing :(

sad and angry ! im sangry :)

so lads, what about the light switch,, any help there/?

how do i rewire it to a single switch one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

without stating the obvious, have you ensured the power was off as the board befor you started? did you turn it back on? have you verified using a multi meter?

ted1 wrote: »
    without stating the obvious, have you ensured the power was off as the board befor you started? did you turn it back on? have you verified using a multi meter?

yeah i powered off and then back on when i finished. dont have a multi meter so fhew... so ive given up on that and moved on to the light swich, which is for a different light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

that smug git you refer to would actually be saving you from either killing yourself or havin your house go up in smoke!electricity is not to be messed with,there is a reason we go through 4 years of training!i know id rather pay 100 euro and have piece of mind that my house is not goin to burn down!any sparks would have that light up and running within about 10 minutes i would bet!

that smug git you refer to would actually be saving you from either killing yourself or havin your house go up in smoke!electricity is not to be messed with,there is a reason we go through 4 years of training!i know id rather pay 100 euro and have piece of mind that my house is not goin to burn down!any sparks would have that light up and running within about 10 minutes i would bet!

thanks maxamillius. do all you sparks develop a touchy spot during them 4 years too??? :rolleyes:

i bet ya could have it up and running in ten minutes, and im not demeaning you work very hard at being able to do so. on the other hand. its 100 euro of money i cant afford, just to have the unnessasary luxury of a light in my already well lit hallway.

as regards the lightswitch, all i want to do it change it to a better one than is already there, so its not nessasary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes-i don't approve of coaching 'amateurs' through these jobs either
    with 'step by step instructions'

agree with above posters who have tried to get you through it.there is enough good instructions posted to be able to resolve your problems.think its time for a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

agree with above posters who have tried to get you through it.there is enough good instructions posted to be able to resolve your problems.think its time for a professional.

I would have to agree with Meercat and mcebee on that one

M cebee wrote: »
    yes-i don't approve of coaching 'amateurs' through these jobs either
    with 'step by step instructions'

well for one, the word "amateur" suggests i actually DO electronics without propper trainging. ive barely touched a light buld, that doesn make me an mateur, it makes me a person who doesnt know anything about electronics. and youve never looked for help about something you dont know anything about ? you effing sap

and if youve bothered to read the thread. ive moved on from the light fitting to the light switch which has been explained.

Package wrote: »
    thanks maxamillius. do all you sparks develop a touchy spot during them 4 years too??? :rolleyes:

i bet ya could have it up and running in ten minutes, and im not demeaning you work very hard at being able to do so. on the other hand. its 100 euro of money i cant afford, just to have the unnessasary luxury of a light in my already well lit hallway.

as regards the lightswitch, all i want to do it change it to a better one than is already there, so its not nessasary

Well when you call someone an `effing sap` for saying something thats perfectly correct, it might not be the sparks that are touchy

• Advertisement

Last post on this subject from me
    I honestly believe that all posters on this forum do their best to help people through their problems as safely as they can. Sometimes ,despite our best efforts this just is not possible. I don't think slagging people off because it didn't work out is the way to go.

Advertisement