Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saltees, getting around on the islands

• 07-06-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I am thinking of heading to the Saltees for the first time in the next couple of weeks, take a few snaps of the birdies and other wildlife.

Question for anyone who has been, from were you would dock onto the island is there a main location where I could head to or would I be looking at walking for miles all around the island to get to the wildlife?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Somebody else will have more complete answers, I've only been once, but there is no dock, you get a dinghy from the ferry (or your own boat) to a small beach where there is a stairs to get up on the island itself.

The island isn't too big, once you are on it you walk maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile across to where the Puffins are and it's maybe the same further to the Gannet colony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

When we went last year, we came to the conclusion that we should have went straight to the Gannet Colony, instead of continually stopping and snapping random Puffins along the way. However, we went later in the year when the Puffins were a bit more scarce on the ground.

07C2A94582E242EDB86EFE4635369BF7-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

I've posted one of my most recent trips to everytrail.com http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=602093
    The total length of the walk is 2.6miles

From the beach landing, you head up a steps towards the house.
    Before the house, there is a path to left, take this path to the throne.
    From the throne, there is coves all the way along to the gannet colony.
    It's about 300metres from the beach to the wildlife

darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Thanks for the info folks, hopefully the weather picks up and I will make to the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Was over last weekend and not many Puffins there, but plenty other wildlife Gannets, Black Backed Gulls, Cormorants

Will head over again on the 20th, if you are heading that day, you are more than welcome to tag along with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

Thanks for the offer Steely Dan, I might take you up on that closer to the time, Cheers.

Advertisement