Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent relief

Options
  • 07-06-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum!

I'm living in an apartment with my friend. Both of us signed the lease agreement, but the full amount of rent goes by direct debit from my account each month (my friend pays me her half in cash), and I just got a letter from the PRTB with only my name on it saying that my landlord has registered me as a tenant.

I'm just wondering how it'll work if we want to claim rent relief? Should I claim for the full amount and divide it between us, or are we able to claim separately?

Also, when can we claim it? Is it at the end of the tax year i.e. next January?

Thanks for any information! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You can claim seperately, you can divide the rent in two and you can claim your share and your friend claims the other.

You can either claim for the current year now and get the tax credits adjusted through your wages or wait and claim next year and get a revenue payout either by cheque or transferred to your bank account.

Just to let you know, you can claim back 4 years so you can claim for any other properties you were living in before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Claim separately, you get x amount per year,see www.revenue.ie
    You cant claim for someone else. .

Advertisement