Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self teaching Japanese

• 07-06-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi i have wanted to learn japanese for a while now so last November
    i had found a someone who teaches Japanese but i only went for a few classes and then stopped.

2 Days ago i found a guy on YouTube tofugu, who had wrote his own
    book textfugu on self teaching Japanese. and it is really good,one of his focuses is to keeping you motivated, the book teaches you hiragana,katakana and kanji the first 6 chapters are free and from what i have read so far its really good, has lots of nice reviews as well.

It costs 120 USD for lifetime (or 20USD/month). i was going to get Rosetta stone until i seen all the terrible reviews about how it doesn't teach you grammar so its pretty much useless.

In the 2 days i have read the first 4 chapters and in those 4 chapters
    he already has you writing hiragana. He gives you links the other websites that also help you along the way like smart.fm to show you stroke orders
    and help you memorize the hiragana, i have memorized about 1/8 of the hiragana so far.

Anyway i have a question about it , first off has anyone else used it?
    secondly would it be possible for me to have enough Japanese to take the LC
    i just finished 5th year so i have until this time next year to learn it, and finally what is the JLPT like? (if anyone toke it last December)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Sader wrote: »
    i was going to get Rosetta stone until i seen all the terrible reviews about how it doesn't teach you grammar so its pretty much useless

You don't need perfect grammar to be able to use a language (just take a look at your English above), but that's not why I dislike Rosetta Stone anyway (I think its method is inefficient).

Self-teaching is fine at the beginning, but if you're serious about learning the language properly, it's a good idea to start back with the lessons (ideally with a Japanese person) once you've gotten past the beginner level.

If you use James Heisig's method, you should be able to learn all the hiragana in a day.

Advertisement