Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

marty2002 wrote: »
    It aint good imho, the vocalist is terrible and the bass is too loud and over powers everything else, this could just be the streaming quality though...

Agree with the bit about the vocals. Found them very weak most of the time and generic at best.

Musically the album is fairly meh and is pretty much overly influenced by certain groups from the 70's.

Thought some of the bass work was interesting though (then again I play bass) and although there was a 70's vibe through a lot of the album some of the bass play was very Soundgarden-esque at times (think This Is My God is one of those tracks).

One of the poorer Maiden side projects though, and would defo advise people to listen to it before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

On a different note, see they're headlining Donnington again next year as part of the Maiden England tour. More dates to be announced although i wouldn't hold my breath for an Irish one.

which reminds me, the presales for fanclub members for the Stockholm date is open on Saturday. I'm thinking of going, Maiden's shows in Sweden are always reputed to be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

which reminds me, the presales for fanclub members for the Stockholm date is open on Saturday. I'm thinking of going, Maiden's shows in Sweden are always reputed to be really good.

Maiden shows anywhere are damn good, but, IMO, it wouldn't be that great in an expensie country like Sweden, where a pint is gonna set ya back a tenner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Had a listen to the first 2 songs on that Harris solo album ... found them very boring. Wasn't bothered listening to beyond those tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

RayCon wrote: »
    Had a listen to the first 2 songs on that Harris solo album ... found them very boring. Wasn't bothered listening to beyond those tunes.

Harris needs the Maiden characters around him, well at least Bruce, or else it all turns into very boring headstrong one man show. Virtual XI is proof of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Got my ticket for Stockholm, hopefully I'll go to at least one other show on the tour.

blastman wrote: »
    Got my ticket for Stockholm, hopefully I'll go to at least one other show on the tour.

Good stuff. You won't regret it. I've seen Maiden about 12 times in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ush wrote: »
    Good stuff. You won't regret it. I've seen Maiden about 12 times in Sweden.

Is this in the new stadium? And would it sell out?

New stadium and its sold out already. Although they may have held some tickets for future release to combat touts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Paul Di'anno's a bit of a dick isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Di'Anno is a jerk which is a pity as their first album is still their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Having to play the same 15 or so songs all the time in order to scrape by has obviously made him bitter and twisted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

In fairness to paul the audience member was a dickhead who showed no respect to him -he has every right to make a fool of the gowl in the audience.

maidens first two alums are great well done paul

In fairness to paul the audience member was a dickhead who showed no respect to him -he has every right to make a fool of the gowl in the audience.

maidens first two alums are great well done paul

Yeah, the guy was a dick, no argument there but Di'anno's "I'm not gay" comments and general attitude was a bit a like what a teenage boy would be like. Sad really.

Di'Anno is a complete and utter moron.

I picked his book up from one of those cheap book shops, thought it would be a good read, it was horrendous.

The whole thing was more or less about Drinking, Drugs and beating up women, which he admitted to on many occasions, complete waste of oxygen the man is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

scudzilla wrote: »
    Di'Anno is a complete and utter moron.

The whole thing was more or less about Drinking, Drugs and beating up women, which he admitted to on many occasions, complete waste of oxygen the man is

hard to disagree with any of that

no doubt it was this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Beast-Paul-DiAnno/dp/1844548848/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Typical Di'Anno to be honest. He has been a classless so and so pretty much from day one and he has been that bitter towards Maiden pretty much from the moment he got booted out for his "habits"

The first two Maiden albums are class, no doubting that Di'Anno was the right man to sing on them but his career in the 31 years since Killers came out has shown him up to be pretty much a one trick pony.

Funny that for a guy so bitter about Maiden he still is making his name on the back of them, and not on anything he has down over the past 31 years.

Maybe Di'Anno should just stick to what he is good at like trying to claim Welfare benefits he is not entitled to(which he was caught for) and eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Paul di'Anno did a gig in Dublin in the early 1990's (in The Rock Garden). He told the crowd* he wouldn't do anything by Iron Maiden. Then he played 5 Iron Maiden songs.

*crowd = around 30 punters, 25 of whom were there for the local support act!

Anyone with a few quid to spare? Steve Harris' house is up for sale

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/17706422

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Anyone with a few quid to spare? Steve Harris' house is up for sale

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/17706422

sweet jesus, what a house...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

We should all go splits on it, 8 bedrooms?? be fine, I will sleep in the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks.

Does anyone know why Derek Riggs was "dropped" (for want of a better word) from doing Maiden's covers.

I know wikipedia says they wanted to try different designers, but an 8 year old Maiden fan could tell that the covers after NPFtD went down in quality.

I like Brave New World....which Riggs did "the top half" of the cover art.

Thanks in advance.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'm pretty sure it was Riggs that dropped Maiden. He didn't want to only be associated with doing Maiden covers.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was Riggs that dropped Maiden. He didn't want to only be associated with doing Maiden covers.
    I don't know if that's true. He did covers for the Iron Maidens (female tribute band) so if he wanted to distance himself from Maiden, that wouldn't have helped. He's done some work so Dickinson's solo albums too hasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

As I recall the band wanted to go with a darker, more frightening Eddie for 'Fear of the dark' and got Melvyn Grant in for that cover (Riggs did the 'Be Quick or be dead' single cover). There was a feeling that Eddie had become too 'friendly' by the time of NPFTD.

I really liked Hugh Syme's cover for 'The X Factor', which was a photo rather than a painting.

Riggs did the 'Flight 666' design (the Boeing 757 on the CD, and if you look closely you'll see Derek himself being propelled out of the wreckage!).

I read once that he got a flat fee per cover rather than royalties..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I don't know if that's true. He did covers for the Iron Maidens (female tribute band) so if he wanted to distance himself from Maiden, that wouldn't have helped. He's done some work so Dickinson's solo albums too hasn't he?

I read Martin Popoff's outstanding 'Run For Cover' the art of Derek Riggs, and unfortunately Derek was getting tired of drawing Eddie around 1992. Derek did do an early version of 'Fear of The Dark', but it was rejected. I scanned it in from 'Run For Cover' and Here it is:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|928p1|3586486895|Fear%20of%20The%20Dark.rar|2834|0|0

I also have loads of Eddie pictures and all in very hi res. I have scans of all the singles from 1980 - 2010, and they are in very hi res to super hi res. About 3619 x 3608 for most of the singles. Some of them are a higher res than that and some like the seven inch vinyls about 2176 x 2128. I have a rare prototype of 'Piece of Mind' Eddie art too. So if anybody is looking for any particular singles, or rare Eddie's or anything else pm me.

I read Martin Popoff's outstanding 'Run For Cover' the art of Derek Riggs, and unfortunately Derek was getting tired of drawing Eddie around 1992. Derek did do an early version of 'Fear of The Dark', but it was rejected. I scanned it in from 'Run For Cover' and Here it is:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|928p1|3586486895|Fear%20of%20The%20Dark.rar|2834|0|0

I also have loads of Eddie pictures and all in very hi res. I have scans of all the singles from 1980 - 2010, and they are in very hi res to super hi res. About 3619 x 3608 for most of the singles. Some of them are a higher res than that and some like the seven inch vinyls about 2176 x 2128. I have a rare prototype of 'Piece of Mind' Eddie art too. So if anybody is looking for any particular singles, or rare Eddie's or anything else pm me.

Download permission denied??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

scudzilla wrote: »
    Download permission denied??
    Yeah same here .... Rapidshare really is a load of bollocks nowadays ... dont kow why anybody bothers with it

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

RayCon wrote: »
    Yeah same here .... Rapidshare really is a load of bollocks nowadays ... dont kow why anybody bothers with it

Sorry about that. I didn't deny it at all. I thought I might be able to upload a whole folder of Eddie pics with rapidshare, but it looks like I can't now.:mad:

I uploaded it to Photobucket, but it's not the best either. Here it is again.

http://s164.beta.photobucket.com/user/FOTN/media/FearofTheDarkoriginalversion.jpg.html

You should should also be able to download it. Just click on options and select download.:D If anybody wants to upload any more Eddie pics or rare pics, let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I actually like that concept, would have been interesting to see how it developed.

Advertisement