Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

I wonder are we gonna get a visit this year or will we just have to make do with this:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/maiden-england-88-concert-to-be-released-on-dvd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

They're still adding tour dates every now & again but I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe they'll do some UK arena dates and do a gig here too. Maybe.

Good to see the Maiden England re-release though, I still have a copy on VHS somewhere (bought it in 1989!). Actually I've got 12 Wasted Years on VHS too, I wasn't expecting that to get a DVD release. So it's a nice bit of nostalgia to go with the others bits they released over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

xtradel wrote: »
    I wonder are we gonna get a visit this year or will we just have to make do with this:

http://www.ironmaiden.com/maiden-england-88-concert-to-be-released-on-dvd.html

Really looking forward to this. It's jam packed with stuff. I have both 12 Wasted Years and Maiden England on VHS but haven't had a video player in about 10 years now so it'll be good to see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

does anyone know if they have a new album in the pipe line. havent been on here in ages due to college commitments and exams. up the irons

villains77 wrote: »
    does anyone know if they have a new album in the pipe line. havent been on here in ages due to college commitments and exams. up the irons

No studio album planned at the mo I don't think, just the Maiden England packages due in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I was just curious if anybody knows if Sound Cellar have the new Iron Maiden vinyls in, and if so do they have many and how much are they?

I thought I'd aslo share these rare Eddie pics. Some are posters, singles, and other stuff. Enjoysmile.png

http://rapidshare.com/files/3276930381/Very%20Rare%20Eddie's%20Prt%201.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/1569009068/Very%20Rare%20Eddie's%20Prt%202.rar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A casual Maiden fan here. As in, I would be familiar with some of their albums, but don't have everything. I would be familiar with pretty much anything they released as singles, which is why their live albums are decent.
    I like the live album from Donnington from the early 90s. Has this ever been released as a dvd? I thought some of the NPFTD tracks came across quite well on it.
    What would be considered a really good live dvd? (apart from Live After Death)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

seachto7 wrote: »
    A casual Maiden fan here. As in, I would be familiar with some of their albums, but don't have everything. I would be familiar with pretty much anything they released as singles, which is why their live albums are decent.
    I like the live album from Donnington from the early 90s. Has this ever been released as a dvd? I thought some of the NPFTD tracks came across quite well on it.

Try Flight 666, good documentary and great concert.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-666-The-Film-DVD/dp/B00221U4K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361916561&sr=8-2

Rock in Rio gets great reviews but I don't like it all. The crowd are way too loud in the mix and it feels like you can hear them more than you can hear the band. Death On The Road is kind of like that too.

I know audience participation is a big thing at live shows (especially Maiden ones) but its way over the top in these releases

The Donington 93 show would be a great dvd release...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The Donington 93 show would be a great dvd release...

No it wouldn't, it'd just be a disc of pure silence ;)

scudzilla wrote: »

No it wouldn't, it'd just be a disc of pure silence ;)

Ha ha, I presume he meant the '92 one.

I have the VHS of that show and its awful so I definitely wouldn't be paying to see a DVD of it. It's half colour, half grainy black & white and a lot of it wasn't even filmed at Donnington (you can see the roof of the venue quite a bit). Very bad editing.

The sound is good though. Adrian smith even made an appearance during Running Free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ha ha, I presume he meant the '92 one.

I have the VHS of that show and its awful so I definitely wouldn't be paying to see a DVD of it. It's half colour, half grainy black & white and a lot of it wasn't even filmed at Donnington (you can see the roof of the venue quite a bit). Very bad editing.

The sound is good though. Adrian smith even made an appearance during Running Free

Was a great gig, Pissed down all afternoon, Seb Bach (Skid Row) came running on stage screaming (As Seb does), slipped and slid the whole length of the stage, oh how we laughed

Yeah.i watched the 92 gig on youtube.lots of footage doesn't seem to be from the same gig? I'll stick with the audio version of that gig.

Also watched flight 666. Very good but I could take or leave some of the setlist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I have the Castle double CD versions of the first two albums. They came out in 1995 and each one has a bonus disc. The sound is reasonably good - better than the sonic mess that's the 1998 remasters but not as good as the vinyl or the first CD pressings [on EMI UK].

I've been offered the Castle versions of Number Of The Beast and Piece Of Mind. Anyone heard them? If so, how's the sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I have the Castle double CD versions of the first two albums. They came out in 1995 and each one has a bonus disc. The sound is reasonably good - better than the sonic mess that's the 1998 remasters but not as good as the vinyl or the first CD pressings [on EMI UK].

I've been offered the Castle versions of Number Of The Beast and Piece Of Mind. Anyone heard them? If so, how's the sound?

The 1995 versions are actually re issues rather than remasters, so what you get on Beast and Piece is the original release sound quality.

As with Killers and the first album, the 1995 reissues of Beast and Piece do sound crisper than the 1998 remasters. Piece Of Mind in particular came out of the 1998 remaster series sounding far worse for wear.

Powerslave and Somewhere In Time go the other way though in case you track down the 1995 reissues. The 1998 remasters of those sound better than the 1995 reissues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Thanks for that Kess, appreciate the info. Think I'll get them so. However will stick with the vinyl for Powerslave and Somewhere In Time I think.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Thanks for that Kess, appreciate the info. Think I'll get them so. However will stick with the vinyl for Powerslave and Somewhere In Time I think.

Have not picked up SIT on the format yet, but the new picture disc of Powerslave sounds fantastic as does Live After Death.

Have all the early albums on vinyl from first time around, not to mention on cassette, CD, reissues etc, but the new picture discs have seen me give in to temptation yet again. :D

EDIT: Would have much preferred it though if the 1980 to 1988 years had been reissued on a high quality vinyl.

I'm very supprised nobody noticed my link to a lot great and rare Eddie pics. They should work. There is a lot of great pictures, and rare posters as well. I scanned in all the rare pics from the excellent 'Run For Cover' The Art of Derek Riggs at 300dpi. Here are the links again. :D

http://rapidshare.com/files/3276930381/Very%20Rare%20Eddie's%20Prt%201.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/1569009068/Very%20Rare%20Eddie's%20Prt%202.rar

I was also wondering does anybody know if Sound Cellar have the new Iron Maiden vinyls that came out this year, and if they do, do they have many and how much are they? Do they have any other Iron Maiden vinyls as well?

No idea if the Sound Cellar has them, but if you get them from Amazon they work at at about 32 euro each and qualify for free postage to Ireland.

Maybe give Sound Cellar a buzz tomorrow and see how they compare price wise.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    No idea if the Sound Cellar has them, but if you get them from Amazon they work at at about 32 euro each and qualify for free postage to Ireland.

Maybe give Sound Cellar a buzz tomorrow and see how they compare price wise.

I just bought the new 'The Number of The Beast' vinyl today in Sound Cellar for €26. They seem to have quite good stock of them according to Tommy. I don't know what price 'Live After Death' is though because thats a double vinyl. They are charging €49 for it in Tower, which is a rip off price. I'm sure it's a lot cheaper in Sound Cellar. It's probably about €35 or €38, but thats just a rough guess. I also bought the new Darkthrone album as well, and Tommy gave a €2 discount which was nice of him.

I checked the prices for the new Iron Maiden vinyls on amazon uk, and they are a little bit dearer, about 2 or 3 than what Sound Cellar are charging. Free postage seems to apply for all of the Maiden vinyls except for 'The Number of The Beast' which is odd. 'Iron Maiden' and 'Powerslave' are slightly more expensive on amazon than Sound Cellar. 'Iron Maiden' is €31, and 'Powerslave' is around €33, so my advice is buy them in Sound Cellar instead.wink.png Believe it or not I now have all the classic albums on vinyl from 1980 - 1990, and I have nearly all the singles from that period apart from 'Wasted Years'. Thats the only single I don't have. I also want to get my hands on 'From Here To Eternity' with all the bikers on the front of it, and a bald guy in the background with a mustache. Tommy says he might be able to get me 'Fear of The Dark' on vinyl, so that would be fantastic.

By the way did you not notice those rapidshare links to those rare Eddie pics? Some comments on them would be really great.wink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

From ironmaiden.com:

We are deeply saddened to report that Clive Burr passed away last night. He had suffered poor health for many years after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and died peacefully in his sleep at home.

Steve Harris said “This is terribly sad news. Clive was a very old friend of all of us. He was a wonderful person and an amazing drummer who made a valuable contribution to Maiden in the early days when we were starting out. This is a sad day for everyone in the band and those around him and our thoughts and condolences are with his partner Mimi and family at this time."

Bruce Dickinson adds “I first met Clive when he was leaving Samson and joining Iron Maiden. He was a great guy and a man who really lived his life to the full. Even during the darkest days of his M.S., Clive never lost his sense of humour or irreverence. This is a terribly sad day and all our thoughts are with Mimi and the family”

As Maiden fans all know, Clive joined Maiden in 1979 and performed on the first three albums Iron Maiden (1980), Killers (1981) and The Number Of The Beast (1982). Prior to that he was a member of Samson, the band Bruce fronted before he too joined Maiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

RIP Clive, a great drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Number Of The Beast had some mind-blowing drums going on, absolutely loved it. The man had skills, and he helped put Maiden on the map in a big way. He'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

rednik wrote: »
    RIP Clive, a great drummer.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I can only imagine how tough it was for him dealing with MS since the 90's, a very talented drummer.

My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends.

Clive's drumming on Phantom of the Opera is my favourite track of his. RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P Clive!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

RIP Clive, he was a brilliant drummer and an important part of Maiden's history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

RIP Clive, he was a brilliant drummer and an important part of Maiden's history

My favourite Maiden lineup and Burr was a big hero of mine when I was a young lad.
    A sad day for me.
    RIP.

Advertisement