Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone know how soon an album becomes available to stream on its release date? Is it after midnight or do we have to wait until 8-9 in the morning?

Might as well get some use out of my 3 month Apple Music free trial before I buy it at lunch time

xtradel wrote: »
    I got an e-mail from hmv today saying its been dispatched. Wonder is there a hope in hell it'll arrive tomorrow?

Good that shops are dispatching albums in advance of the release date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Anyone know how soon an album becomes available to stream on its release date? Is it after midnight or do we have to wait until 8-9 in the morning?

Might as well get some use out of my 3 month Apple Music free trial before I buy it at lunch time

One I was watching recently on iTunes was available from midnight on release day, not sure if it's the same for Apple Music/Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bruce did a live podcast with Eddie Trunk on Tuesday, link below for anyone who wants to listen.

Broadcasting from The Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square, Eddie Trunk brings you another LIVE edition of the podcast with Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson. The legendary singer details his recent battle with cancer and of course, Maiden's forthcoming tour and album, Book of Souls. Bruce also answers questions from fans and discusses Samson, his children's musical pursuits, some tour and concert nightmares, his solo career, and more!

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=658&pid=535293

Up on Spotify now....

• Advertisement

I hate making judgements on an album after one listen as but I just finished my first listen to this and it's certainly not the masterpiece that some of the reviews would have you believe it was.

Don't get me wrong it's good and plenty of good songs but some of the praise in the media over the past few weeks has been way over the top in my opinion. At 90+ minutes it's a bit long too and some momentum is lost on occasion.

My least favourite song (again based only on one listen) is the 18 minute last track which I think is about 17 minutes too long. I'm all into trying new things and takin chances but this just seems like self indulgent wankology.

Anyway, time for listen no 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Upon first full listen ... nothing really stood out for me and felt like I had to force myself to continue with it. Not writing it off , maybe it's a grower that will reveal itself over tim , but at the moment I'm questioning the almost hysterically good reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

First impression is that it's a bit ploddy. It'll take a while for it to sink in, there are definitely some good bits but a lot of the songs seem to go on a bit too long (including Empire Of the Clouds).

I really wish they wouldn't overhype these releases...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

There's quite a bit of filler on it...its a shame because there's the makings of a great 40 minute record in it.

I'm enjoying it nevertheless.

peter1892 wrote: »

I really wish they wouldn't overhype these releases...

Serious question, is there a benefit to magazines giving overly generous reviews so they can get better access to the band for interviews etc? You scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

You'd swear this was the best album ever made by some reviews but in all honesty I don't think it's a patch on any of the other Bruce II albums (maybe better than FF?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Serious question, is there a benefit to magazines giving overly generous reviews so they can get better access to the band for interviews etc? You scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

I think it's a problem with all commercial music journalism. I gave up my subscription to Classic Rock mag about 3yrs ago because :

a). Out of 14 issues per year - Led Zeppelin featured as the cover story on at least 7 occasions. NEWSFLASH : THERE ARE NO MORE ZEPPELIN STORIES LEFT TO TELL !!!!

b) Of the hundreds of album reviews that feature over the course of a year, I think I've read approx 5 that scored lower that 7/10 stars. Im sorry - but that's bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

It was popular for ages in the 90s to say maiden were shyte so that doesnt explain it.

Magazines / editors know what the public wants to hear. Maiden are popular at the mo, hence good reviews means fans buying the rag. Saying they were crap in 1995 meant all the wannabe fans of rubbish grunge bands bought kerrang and had a good laugh at maidens downfall.

Meanwhile when maiden sere supposedly shyte with Blaze they produced two great albums with out and out classic tracks that were slated because he wasn't Bruce. Even Blazes 10th dimension p*ssed on any other non maiden or hammerfall album at the time.

This new album seems pretty decent, not up there with AMOLAD which to me is their greatest achievement, but good. Dsc 2 is better, less generic than 1 which is a bit like filler form BNW onwards

There's a clip of maiden in Germany on you-tube doing 8 tracks in 33 minutes with Dianno - this is 11 in in 90 minutes, the more things change the more they stay the same!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Dartz

Half the problem with new material from long-runners is that with such an extensive back catalogue, a lot of it's getting hit pretty hard by 30 years of nostalgia filter.

As it is, Book of Souls definitely stands up for itself. It hits more often than it misses. Ultimately, it's better for the fact that, rather than just rehashing the same stuff over and over again, they're at least trying newer things.

Also, the 3xLP format seems to suit it better. There's just a momentary break every two songs to keep things from plodding on too much. It also sounds ****ing monster as an LP.

It does seem to get better with more listens. Tears of a Clown could've done with a tone similar to Empire of the Clouds, but otherwise it's a perfectly cromulent album

EDIT: Also, being late out of work, walking into a record shop, asking if they had a copy, and picking up the last copy in the shop of a brand new LP that'd sold like hotcakes on its first day on release. What a quaint and old-fashioned experience.

Bit of a Losfor Words feel to one of the riffs in the song Book of Souls or am I losing it?

It was popular for ages in the 90s to say maiden were shyte so that doesnt explain it.

It goes in cycles. I don't know is it dictated by the media or are just the messengers but bands and genres go in and out of fashion and Maiden are in the 'popular' side of the circle at the moment.

Blaze's biggest problem was trying to do songs that we're written for Bruce's voice. They're two different singers.

It didn't help that the writing had gone a little bit stale and formulaic at the time - maybe just a bit sterile. Blaze did shake things up - and did alright on songs that actually suited his voice.

First round of tour dates to be announced on Thursday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    First round of tour dates to be announced on Thursday..

That'll be the Irish tour

May 10th - Belfast
    May 11th - Dublin
    May 13th - Cork
    May 14th - Limerick
    May 16th - Mayo
    May 17th - Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

scudzilla wrote: »

May 10th - Belfast
    May 11th - Dublin
    May 13th - Cork
    May 14th - Limerick
    May 16th - Mayo
    May 17th - Trim

haha, yeah, think i might hit the trim show...

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    haha, yeah, think i might hit the trim show...

That one was added at my request cos i live there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

scudzilla wrote: »

May 10th - Belfast
    May 11th - Dublin
    May 13th - Cork
    May 14th - Limerick
    May 16th - Mayo
    May 17th - Trim

They'll never land that 747 in Knock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

ozzy jr wrote: »
    They'll never land that 747 in Knock!

i heard band and gear are to be airdropped in…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Dates won't be Europe anyway they starting North American tour in Feb so its that and maybe Oz/NZ...Won't announce Europe till later on I'd say as no doubt bound to be festival dates included, Trim show will surely be announced then. :)

First European run begins late May through to early August.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    First European run begins late May through to early August.

Well there's one of the Donington headliners

I may actually try get tickets to this. The only other thing I've ever gone to was The Wall. Be bit weird going alone.

Dartz wrote: »
    I may actually try get tickets to this. The only other thing I've ever gone to was The Wall. Be bit weird going alone.

Only in your own mind....

Bruce Dickinson regrets not punching Axl Rose back in 1988.

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-bruce-dickinson-regrets-not-punching-axl-rose/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Think new album is class, after 2 listens I was unsure after all 92mins is a lot to digest but it really is a grower.

As others said the mags were more than likely gonna be favourable due to excitement of Maiden just being back and push people to buy their print.

But this is for me after a good few listens now an 8+/10 Red and the black,tears of a clown and the opener being my faves at the mo, hopefully catch them on tour, really enjoyable album, people may find this if they give it the time it deserves.

• Advertisement

Album arrived last night, I have to say the vinyl package is a thing of beauty!

Advertisement