Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

scudzilla wrote: »
    Suits me down to the ground as we'll be busy with new baby this year
    Tsk, whilst I'll wish you congrats on your new baby, do get your priorities in order!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Seeing them at download this year. Hopefully be a more festival friendly set than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    D.Q wrote: »
    Seeing them at download this year. Hopefully be a more festival friendly set than that

If i was seeing them with that setlist i'd be greatly dissapointed

6 out of the first 9 from the new album and only 15 songs, guessing (hoping)the first few shows are to see what news songs work and what doesnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If i was seeing them with that setlist i'd be greatly dissapointed

6 out of the first 9 from the new album and only 15 songs, guessing (hoping)the first few shows are to see what news songs work and what doesnt

But the new album is excellent. And Children of the damned, Powerslave, hallowed be thy name, Fear of the Dark etc. I think it's an excellent setlist for 15 songs.
    Pity they cant play Empire of the Clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

But the new album is excellent. And Children of the damned, Powerslave, hallowed be thy name, Fear of the Dark etc. I think it's an excellent setlist for 15 songs.
    Pity they cant play Empire of the Clouds.

Yeah I agree I'm seeing at Graspop and delighted with that set to be honest. Track total is bound to be hit with the length of some of those songs.

Hate to disappoint D.Q but since Bruce and Adrian got back in the band Maiden tours seem to follow a pattern of Album Tour...Throwback to Classic years tour...Album Tour....Throwback and so on.

Festival posters they are appearing at all have Book of Souls tour about the Maiden logo for that reason I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

fairly crap set list lots of filler

ROY RACE wrote: »

Well that's just your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

On paper the setlist seems a bit odd (to me) but it may be the case that it works very well in concert. The stage set is impressive (from what I've seen on youtube so far).

• Advertisement

5 songs from the new album and a mix off classics, that's a prety damn good set list..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm intrigued what exactly this filler is? go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I love the set. Best songs off the new album and some classics. What did people expect?

And children of the damed? **** yeah....!!!

Also Hallowed Be Thy Name played live for the first time in 5 years..

Going back to the set, not many other bands would dare play 5 songs off a new album in a single show, let alone opening night of a tour, they'd slowly break them in one by one, so I tip my cap to the band for doing what they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Well that's just your opinion.

Yes indeed -your opinion may be different.

Worst set list I have seen from the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Yes indeed -your opinion may be different.

Worst set list I have seen from the lads

Okey ROY RACE - What is the lots of filler in the setlist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

From Iron Maiden's FB Page, tour only been going around a week, poor Bruce got his 747 Rating especially

ED FORCE ONE BADLY DAMAGED ON THE GROUND IN COMODORO ARTURO MERINO BENITEZ (SANTIAGO, CHILE) AIRPORT
    CONCERTS IN ARGENTINA TOMORROW AND TUESDAY EXPECTED TO GO AHEAD AS PLANNED
    Ed Force One was this morning tethered to a tow truck to be taken for refuelling prior to flying over the Andes to Cordoba for the next show. On moving the steering pin that is part of the mechanism that connects the ground tug to the aircraft seemingly fell out. On making a turn the aircraft had no steering and collided with the ground tug badly damaging the undercarriage, two of the aircrafts engines and injuring two ground tug operators, both of whom have been taken to hospital. We hope of course that they make a full and speedy recovery and we will be closely monitoring their progress. The flight engineers are on site and evaluating the damage, but their initial report is that the engines have suffered large damage and will require an extended period of maintenance and possibly two new engines.
    We are currently making contingency arrangements to get to the show in Cordoba tomorrow with band, crew and equipment intact. Fortunately the 20 tons of equipment had not been loaded onto EF1 at the time of the accident. Although this is tragic for our beautiful plane we do not expect this to affect our concert schedule including the next 2 shows in Cordoba and Buenos Aires. And we hope to find a new Ed Force One to continue this adventure with us in the near future. We will keep everyone updated when we know more, so keep checking only on this site for official news.
    To finish on a high note however, our visit to Chile was a huge success with 58,000 fans coming to the show as totally brilliant as ever in the Stadium Nacional last night. We love you guys!

edforce1_zpsb9xkzkwy.jpg

edforce2_zpsjj2sl5hm.jpg

ED FORCE ONE IS BACK IN ACTION
    ED FORCE ONE ONWARDS AND UPWARDS AGAIN

MAIDEN PLANE SET TO REJOIN THE BOOK OF SOULS TOUR IN BRASILIA TOMORROW AFTER MASSIVE REPAIRS COMPLETED IN JUST 10 DAYS
    TWO 5000kg, FOUR MILLION DOLLAR JET ENGINES FLOWN 12,000 KM TO REPLACE DAMAGED ENGINES

Following the major accident in Chile (link to previous release on this) on the morning of Saturday March 12, we are delighted to announce that a fully repaired Ed Force One will take off tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday March 22, from Santiago Airport to rejoin the tour at Brasília Presidente Juscelino Kubitschek International Airport. Following the show at Nilsen Nelson Arena, the plane will be loaded up once again on Wednesday with over 20 tons of equipment and our tour personnel to fly to Fortaleza for the concert on Thursday and on from there to Sao Paulo then New York and onwards round the World on The Book of Souls World Tour which visits 36 countries in the five month period.

The accident required the replacing of both of the Boeing 747’s port side jet engines, a tough proposition at the best of times but not made any easier by the fact of the distances involved in getting such huge components, parts, tools and technical crew to Chile as quickly as possible to get Ed Force One back in the air. The engines alone weigh 5000kg each, and cost around four million dollars each.

Ed Force One is leased from Air Atlanta who went into immediate action following the incident, with technical assistance from Boeing. An emergency meeting on the Sunday was called to create a comprehensive detailed plan for this complex operation – locating suitable engines, thrust reversers, cowlings and parts, working out necessary tooling and technical team, logistics of ground and freight transport and tech team travel and a myriad of other detail. All from scratch. The next couple of days were spent putting these plans meticulously into place

The result was that on Thursday last, March 17, a Cargolux chartered 747 freighter left Luxembourg carrying two huge replacement jet engines, trucked there from Hannover, Germany. The Charter stopped over at Stansted Airport, Essex, UK to collect two more consignments. Cowlings and thrust reversers were trucked there in huge boxes from Kemble, UK, along with tooling and consumables flown in specially from Jeddah to Heathrow and hauled to Stansted.

The chartered 747 then completed the 12,000km (7410 miles) flight to Santiago , arriving at 9am Friday morning. The technicians were flown there from Iceland and from Atlanta Air’s base in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, six in total, to join with EF1’s own two onboard techs, Bjorn Bjarnason and Sigurbjarni ( Barney) Thormundsson, and Jeremy Smith of Rock It Cargo Ltd, who is on tour with us supervising the freight and customs aspects.

The engines were cleared by Chilean Customs Friday lunchtime and they were transferred to the LAN Chile maintenance area of the airport arriving just before 2pm. Working in shifts 24 hours a day the techs were then able to start removing Engine number 1 and then on Saturday Engine number 2. Using hoists and cranes the damaged engines had to be detached then lowered into a cradle in order to swap with the new replacement engines. The replacement engines were then lifted up and into a place. Once the support pylons had been inspected and x-rayed and damage assessed, both of which passed with flying colours, then the new engines were attached with, as one of the techs said, a “ million” wires. Both were finally in place and attached by Sunday lunchtime and then the thrust reversers fitted overnight, almost as complex an operation as fitting the actual engines due to being right under the wing. Final piece of the jigsaw was for the Eddie decals to be fitted and then both engines tested by running to full power.

Comments Bruce Dickinson, Maiden vocalist and pilot of Ed Force One : “The speed and thoroughness of this incredibly complex operation was stunning and we are so very pleased to get our plane back! We would like to thank Air Atlanta and their terrific rescue team for a fantastic effort in achieving this in the time they did, and to Boeing, LAN Chile. ACS and Rock It Cargo for all their invaluable support. We are sorry though for our fans in Cordoba, Buenos Aires, Rio and Belo Horizonte who missed out seeing the plane, but we hope they enjoyed the concerts as much as we did.

We should also thank our Killer Krew who found themselves at lunchtime on the Saturday of the accident with over 20 tons of equipment at the airport in Santiago and over 60 people all to get to Cordoba for early the next day to set up the huge show we are carrying. The distance is “only” 1000km, but with a small matter of the Andes in between! They did it , by the skin of the teeth, and all went very well for the show in Cordoba and the other cities EF1 just missed. It’s quite a feat of logistics to find and put into action at such short notice all the transport, replacement air-charters, schedule flights etcetera to enable us to play those next four shows on time without EF1, our transport for everything. Great effort, team, many thanks from all of us. And to our promoter MOVE and ACS for all their assistance and time with this too“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My head hurt reading that, sounds like some operation!

• Advertisement

Nicko McBrain on Chris Jericho's podcast today, only interview Maiden granted in North America on The Book Of Souls World Tour.
    Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain (yes, that's his real last name) has some of the best rock & roll stories, and he's telling them exclusively on TIJ! It's the only interview Maiden granted in North America in support of their "Book Of Souls World Tour." So get ready to hear about dressing room antics, the backstage fight that turned into a B-side, Maiden's private 747 and what's so special about it, how Nicko covers when he forgets how songs go during live shows, and how the band dealt with singer Bruce Dickinson's cancer diagnosis. Plus, meet Raven Age, the band that's opening every date of Maiden's tour! They rock. Their guitarist, George, is Steve Harris' son... but you'll hear how they had to earn their way onto this incredible tour! Check it out

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=593&pid=1638152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Nicko McBrain on Chris Jericho's podcast today, only interview Maiden granted in North America on The Book Of Souls World Tour.

That was great, really enjoyable interview. Nicko never changes!

has this been posted here before…?

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    has this been posted here before…?

Always thought Jan is an extra part thats just not needed, he mustn't actually do much guitar work with all the arsing about he does

Always thought Jan is an extra part thats just not needed, he mustn't actually do much guitar work with all the arsing about he does

yeah, i mean, seriously…what is it with his playing? is he even plugged in live? he clearly couldn’t be playing properly with all the antics…and screws up maiden’s overall stage presence big time…i know all jan's on-stage antics and sloppy live playing have been discussed ad nauseam…i just came across that video and had another one of them "wtf" moments…what a clown…

Maiden were in a spot when Bruce rejoined, he wouldn't come back unless Adrian was also brought back in.

Now the other guys like Jan and he'd done nothing wrong, hence why they now have 3 guitar players, he's a great player and a sound guy but totally wasted now in Maiden as he doesn't actually seem to do anything other than act the maggot

Maiden were in a spot when Bruce rejoined, he wouldn't come back unless Adrian was also brought back in.

Now the other guys like Jan and he'd done nothing wrong, hence why they now have 3 guitar players, he's a great player and a sound guy but totally wasted now in Maiden as he doesn't actually seem to do anything other than act the maggot

yeah, he has written and recorded some decent songs and seems to be a nice enough guy, yet they really need to replace him live…

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    yeah, he has written and recorded some decent songs and seems to be a nice enough guy, yet they really need to replace him live…

No they don't, he's not needed live, they managed for years with only Smith and Murray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

No they don't, he's not needed live, they managed for years with only Smith and Murray

that’s very true, though i sort of like the three guitar thing…but yes, you are right in a way…yet imagine maiden with a serious third guitarist…that video just struck me real hard…there you have steve, foot on monitor and singing along and everything, a complete and perfect maiden moment…and then the prancing clown comes into view and ruins everything…

Advertisement