Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

He hit the canopy above the mixing desk and then hit the ground pretty hard. Paramedics worked on him for about 20 minutes then he was stretchered away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Layne wrote: »
    I was seated area near where it happened, as far as I could see it was no accident, looked like he jumped.
    But that's besides the point, hope he is okay, fair fall, I assumed that somebody had broken his fall but obviously not.
    If it was a dive then it was a daft move!
    Tales of Megadeth in the Olympic Ballroom spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dargull wrote: »
    He hit the canopy above the mixing desk and then hit the ground pretty hard. Paramedics worked on him for about 20 minutes then he was stretchered away.

Band must of not noticed. I was in block b and didn't notice anything. Anyway hope the guy recovers, he must of been drunk or high on something to do that ???

Great gig and loved we got the trooper but really think it should of been an Irish flag instead of a union jack (could of got very ugly) but nothing happend and we all loved hearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Wonder if there'll be another live album of this tour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great gig and loved we got the trooper but really think it should of been an Irish flag instead of a union jack (could of got very ugly) but nothing happend and we all loved hearing it.

If a small number of simpletons cannot handle the sight of a union jack then don't go to an Iron Maiden show. It's always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Band must of not noticed. I was in block b and didn't notice anything. Anyway hope the guy recovers, he must of been drunk or high on something to do that ???

No it should be a union jack like at every gig ever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A guy fell from the seating area tonight and missed the mixing desk by a couple of feet. He was in a bad way. A lot of blood. Hope he's ok.

He passed by me on a stretcher and looked in a bad way,blood pouring from his head.

Great show, Bruce was in super form and voice was top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I happened to look up and saw him take a running jump off the balcony. He could have killed someone if he landed on them and there were a lot of kids at the show, fukkin moron!

There were a lot of foreign maiden fans there last night

Very good atmosphere too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Coming over here, taking our Maiden tickets and not booing the Union Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There were a lot of foreign maiden fans there last night

Very good atmosphere too

Might be recency bias on my part but that was the best atmosphere at any of the Maiden gigs in Dublin since 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Might be recency bias on my part but that was the best atmosphere at any of the Maiden gigs in Dublin since 1990.

I was thinking the same myself (since 2003 anyway as that was my first). I wondered was it down to the ticketless system? The place was filled with people who booked straight away, not those who are only there because they got a cheap ticket at the last minute and wouldnt have gone otherwise. Nothing against genuine fans who get tickets at the last minute as a result of not having funds at the time they go on sale. But in general, the hardcore fans buy them early.
    There was very little talking by the fans during songs and even not that many phones being held up.
    I was standing near enough the mixing desk but saw nothing thankfully, Hope he's ok.

Yeah the 7 year gap from playing here really contributed too that. If they played Dublin every 2 years they could get a bit stale

Wonder when they will be back ???

The programme is brillent with a load of cool Eddie designs and the t shirts onsale were cool too

Not maiden related but I shazzamed a song that was played over the PA last night called bread maker from brother cane and it's awesome. Can't believe its thin lizzy/BSR guitarist Damon Johnson singing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lertsnim wrote: »
    If a small number of simpletons cannot handle the sight of a union jack then don't go to an Iron Maiden show. It's always there.

I always get a giggle about people fretting if there'll be a hostile reaction to dickinson waving a union flag around like some scale accurate action man knock off

If bono was pulling out a tricolour or springsteen was whipping out the stars and stripes at every single gig they ever played, people would snigger at the crassness of it all. This is rock'n'roll not a ted nugent rally. Harris and Dickinson always loved their jingoism, They're like a cross between Andrew Loyd Webber and the Wolfe tones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭darrenw5O94

Lol.....how many times did he say 'Scream for me Dublin'?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lol.....how many times did he say 'Scream for me Dublin'?
    ...and each time I was thinking "Scream for me Long Beach"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Absolutely!

Forgive me but still buzzing after gig read your last sentence in Bruces voice and thought...

...the evil face that twists my mind and brings me to despair...Yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!! :)

Here's a pic from my view last night

So did the guy jump up on the roof of the sound desk or did he jump left or right of that ???

So did the guy jump up on the roof of the sound desk or did he jump left or right of that ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

He did a running jump from up in the balcony and hit the canopy above the sound desk on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

In your pic, the far canopy was at a lower angle after the accident. Probably saved the clown from killing someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

That was tremendous. As said by others, the atmosphere was unreal.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Nonsense. It's a pointless prop which given our history is always going to either antagonise or make people feel uncomfortable at the very least. People are allowed to enjoy a bands music while disagreeing with political symbols being shoved in their face. If they feel the need to voice their displeasure at that segment of the show, they're free to do so. Simpletons on the other side of the debate cannot seem to get this into their heads.

Personally, at the Maiden gigs in Ireland, it's taken away from my enjoyment of the song (which I do enjoy). The disappointing thing for me this time around was that the band were aware that it is divisive here, because they hadn't brought it out since 2006 and stated why on stage in the RDS (while completely missing the point of why it makes people uncomfortable).

Otherwise it was an excellent show and great to see the Point full for another metal show this year. It really adds to the atmosphere at the gigs in there.

cournioni wrote: »
    Nonsense. It's a pointless prop which given our history is always going to either antagonise or make people feel uncomfortable at the very least. People are allowed to enjoy a bands music while disagreeing with political symbols being shoved in their face. If they feel the need to voice their displeasure at that segment of the show, they're free to do so. Simpletons on the other side of the debate cannot seem to get this into their heads.

Personally, at the Maiden gigs in Ireland, it's taken away from my enjoyment of the song (which I do enjoy). The disappointing thing for me this time around was that the band were aware that it is divisive here, because they hadn't brought it out since 2006 and stated why on stage in the RDS (while completely missing the point of why it makes people uncomfortable).

Otherwise it was an excellent show and great to see the Point full for another metal show this year. It really adds to the atmosphere at the gigs in there.

It's a song about British soldiers, what do you expect ? This crap about it being a political symbol being shoved in people's faces is pathetic.
    What's next, they shouldn't put up that massive banner from The Trooper ?

Him waving that flag isn't a problem, the people who think he shouldn't because it upsets their feelings are though.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It's a song about British soldiers, what do you expect ? This crap about it being a political symbol being shoved in people's faces is pathetic.

Him waving that flag isn't a problem, the people who think he shouldn't because it upsets their feelings are though.

Not only is it about British soldiers, it's about British soldiers in a war that took place in the 1850s. It was well known at this stage what happens on stage when they play the Trooper and it was also well known that it was in the set list on this tour so if anyone was going to be offended by it, maybe they should have stayed at home.

Jelle1880 wrote: »

I expect them to have a bit of respect for us and our history, if you don't then that's your prerogative. Tell me what you think the if Slayer ever come out to Angel of Death with waving a swastika around gleefully - after all, that song is about a Nazi.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think much of it.

I expect them to have a bit of respect for us and our history, if you don't then that's your prerogative. Tell me what you think the if Slayer ever come out to Angel of Death with waving a swastika around gleefully - after all, that song is about a Nazi.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think much of it.

If I knew Tom Araya was going to wave a swastika, I would be offended by that so I would stay away from the gig. Simple really, if you're going to be offended, don't go.

Grasping at straws much ? Do you even know Angel of Death ? It's a condemnation of Mengele, The Trooper is completely different.

You say Maiden should have respect for your history (have they ever said or done otherwise ?), but you seemingly don't respect their choice to wave that flag. It's something they have done for decades without problem, yet only here people get upset about it. They've played in pretty much every former British colony or places where they did some nasty ****, and nowhere do people moan about that flag. Probably because they know it's just a prop (one that Bruce Dickinson throws away at the end of the song as well).

Changing it to an Irish flag would be ridiculous.

Anyway, as I'm done with this tiresome argument: Tried out my phone camera during Children of the Damned, pretty happy with the result :)

• Advertisement

If I knew Tom Araya was going to wave a swastika, I would be offended by that so I would stay away from the gig. Simple really, if you're going to be offended, don't go.
    Again, your prerogative. It's up to individuals whether they want to go or not. Like I said, I object to the it being waved around in that manner in Ireland and takes away from the performance of that song for me. Why should I not go because of one segment in a show? I enjoy all bands but I disagree with political symbolism.

I don't think that is particularly unreasonable.

Advertisement