Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything Maiden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

irondublin02.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

What's the point on going to a Rock and Roll / Metal gig if all they are going to do is a recital?

If anyone was bemused, it just shows how little they knew of Iron Maiden beforehand. I was bemused before back in 2003, not by the sight of the flag but the reaction some people seemed to take against it, who didn't seem to be aware that it's a part of their show.
    I'd imagine they were bemused because Maiden went back on their word from the RDS. I certainly was surprised and it's my fourth time seeing them.

To be honest, pictures don't offend me at all. Actions do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

If people know what the song is about, they'll understand why the flag is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I didn't make this show. First time since the Seventh Son tour. That flag is part of the Maiden pantomime, and long may it remain so. I'd be kinda annoyed if they kowtowed to the rabble and left it out. TBH.

It's just a piece of cloth ffs.

If people know what the song is about, they'll understand why the flag is used.
    We know what the song is about. It's still about as appropriate as seeing a swastika waved around on stage during a Slayer set.
    endacl wrote: »
    I didn't make this show. First time since the Seventh Son tour. That flag is part of the Maiden pantomime, and long may it remain so. I'd be kinda annoyed if they kowtowed to the rabble and left it out. TBH.

It's just a piece of cloth ffs.
    You're clearly missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can any flag discussions be taken elsewhere?
    I suspect that most fans don't care about the flag!

kbannon wrote: »
    Can any flag discussions be taken elsewhere?
    I suspect that most fans don't care about the flag!
    Why should it? This is an Iron Maiden thread, so it's very much Iron Maiden related. Surely if the Union Flag is part of their "pantomime", then it should be part of the discussion in this thread.

Plenty care.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

cournioni wrote: »
    We know what the song is about. It's still about as appropriate as seeing a swastika waved around on stage during a Slayer set.

Or perhaps I see that there really isn't a point to either hit or miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

If I was a British person I'd be kind of pissed off if my national flag was being dragged around a stage, fecked all over the place and being used to play hide and seek with the guitar player. Glad it wasn't the tricolor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Dargull wrote: »
    If I was a British person I'd be kind of pissed off if my national flag was being dragged around a stage, fecked all over the place and being used to play hide and seek with the guitar player. Glad it wasn't the tricolor.

It was a fairly ragged flag too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Oh Jesus H Christmas!!!!! It's only a fcuking song lads!!! Get over it!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

cournioni wrote: »

It really isn't, unless you genuinely believe a Union flag is as bad as a swastika.
    In which case the problem lies with those that think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

I was talking to two lads from England after the show. I asked them what their highlight. Both said the Trooper. They were delighted to see that their flag could be flown these days in Ireland without any negative response.

I don't have any issue with this. If you have a problem with the British flag then don't go to see a British band who have always ALWAYS had the British flag on stage.

FFS, if it was an Irish band waving a tricolour on stage in London, the vast majority of Irish people would be delighted.

People are desperate to be offended these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't care what maiden do with the flag, however was it not mostly Irish killed in the charge? Led by incapable British commanders? definitely 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I don't care what maiden do with the flag, however was it not mostly Irish killed in the charge? Led by incapable British commanders? definitely 50/50

I think there were 3 regiments from Ireland involved, out of 8 ?
    Not sure though, as they constantly got changed and moved around or integrated into other regiments.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I think there were 3 regiments from Ireland involved, out of 8 ?
    Not sure though, as they constantly got changed and moved around or integrated into other regiments.

significant enough, operation get behind the Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Do Sinn Fein supporters like Iron Maiden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

seachto7 wrote: »
    Do Sinn Fein supporters like Iron Maiden?

No more so than any other "republican" party one would think. :D

Dublin earned itself the Jackeen label all in vein it seems, Maiden can't even rock up, raise a staple of their set which takes what? 30 seconds?

See people comparing a swastika to the British flag? Bit mental last time I checked any event be it sporting or whatever with internaional presence you don't see swastikas flowing gently in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

See people comparing a swastika to the British flag? Bit mental last time I checked any event be it sporting or whatever with internaional presence you don't see swastikas flowing gently in the wind.

In fairness, the germans had the good grace to change the flag and apologize for their shenanigans :)

Bambi wrote: »
    In fairness, the germans had the good grace to change the flag and apologize for their shenanigans :)

Why should the British change their flag and for how long should they apologise exactly? Or, in Ireland's case, should they apologise forevermore?

Is it Iron Maiden's fault that there were a few pr*cks in their royal family down through the centuries? Get out over it ffs. If you can't, then take you half arsed political statements to the Politics board. This is the music board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Folks, can we cool it with the arguments over a flag and maintain some civility. And Meursault, don't start telling people where to post, particularly in that manner. It doesn't contribute anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Bambi wrote: »

They only adopted the imperial stuff in the dodgy times I take it your talking about. Pretty sure the red yellow black on the go since after world war 1 (those times aside). Anyway I'll leave it at that.

Angron wrote: »
    Folks, can we cool it with the arguments over a flag and maintain some civility. And Meursault, don't start telling people where to post, particularly in that manner. It doesn't contribute anything.

Fair enough, point taken Angron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-legal-dispute-hallowed-be-thy-name-the-nomad/

Interesting story on why they're not playing Hallowed Be thy Name on this leg. At least it's not Bruce's voice that's the reason.

That bit from the Nomad is a complete rip off. I don't know how they got away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-legal-dispute-hallowed-be-thy-name-the-nomad/

Interesting story on why they're not playing Hallowed Be thy Name on this leg. At least it's not Bruce's voice that's the reason.

That bit from the Nomad is a complete rip off. I don't know how they got away with that.

I'm not a legal head, but I don't understand why they had to drop the song. Ok, there's a dispute going on, but surely they could keep playing the song until dispute has been resolved. Anyway, doesn't matter now. Great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Mentioned a few times about going back on their word. I was at that RDS gig, my recollection is that Bruce said they had decided not to use it this time but the hoped that it would be no issue in the future or words to that effect. We've since lapped up Banrion Eilis Uimhir a Do, and gone hurling with Charles in Kilkenny.... in other words its time to let go.

Maiden are aware of the loyalist mural thing are Bruce mentioned about it being highjacked and not being happy with that.

So no commitment was made to never ever wave the flag, in fact it was 'flagged' that it would or should happen in the future. Glad to see someone else mentioned pantomime as that's pretty much how I fell about it. Some elements are pantomime - Eddie - so a think a fair bit of the booing is pantomime 'look out behind ya" type reaction. You'll never get everyone to agree, those with genuine objections are surely are more acutely aware of the "issue" than anyone else so made your decision and be happy with that. No point just moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anyone heard of what happened to the loon who jumped??

As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd
    In the name of God my father I fly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I shouldn’t laugh, but that is funny. He must have been disappointed it wasn’t played on the night. As a gesture, Maiden should include it on the setlist from now on, and dedicate it to the Irish goon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

October 19th

20294116_10154613979302051_67229346732778939_n.jpg?oh=b9ae1623d74a18bc02f91752a3892447&oe=5A01925C
    What Does This Button Do?” - Bruce Dickinson's memoirs to be published Oct 19th!

For the first time ever, Bruce shares his recollections of childhood and school days, joining Maiden, his solo career, aviation, his recent tongue cancer and much more. In typical Bruce style, this book was written exhaustively in longhand, filling seven A4 notebooks, which he has been working on meticulously whilst out on the road during The Book Of Souls World Tour!

The book will be released internationally with local language versions being made available too.

Pre-order now:
    https://goo.gl/DAgRWe

Advertisement