Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper one

Options
  • 07-06-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭

How are you guys set up for english paper one? I've got my essay learned off and I have to say I'm feeling pretty confident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I wouldn't advise learning off an essay. If you try and manipulate the question too much for a pre-prepared answer you could lose a lot of marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    How are you guys set up for english paper one? I've got my essay learned off and I have to say I'm feeling pretty confident.

Not learning off any essays but other than im just gonna give it all. I was never with the whole idea of learning off essays.

Paper 2 should be interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yeah what does every plan on studying tomorrow night? I might do a few comprehensions for practice or something... Or perhaps just watch a film! It's totally studying when it's Paper 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

kev9100 wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise learning off an essay. If you try and manipulate the question too much for a pre-prepared answer you could lose a lot of marks.

Indeed. Learning off essays is a very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Indeed. Learning off essays is a very bad idea.
    My teacher is an examiner and he said that in the conferences he attends they tell them to allow even the slightest connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

My teacher is an examiner and he said that in the conferences he attends they tell them to allow even the slightest connection.

It's still a very bad idea! :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

ok, like you cant really study just practice a few comprehension, know the part B formats, and decide on what essay your doing.

Paper 2 is another kettle of fish altogether!

It's still a very bad idea! :p:)
    I don't agree, especially if you've learned off a short story rather then a "real" essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Yeah but they also say if there is even the slightest bit of evidence of them being learned off, to dock marks.

lc2010 wrote: »
    Yeah but they also say if there is even the slightest bit of evidence of them being learned off, to dock marks.
    What proof can there be ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

My mate repeated his Leaving Cert last year and had the same learned-off essay for both years. Both A1s in English. I'm not learning one off, but that's purely down to laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I never understood the point in learning an essay off for P1, but fair play is due for the enthusiasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

I'm learning one off too.
    What essay have you learned off?
    Is it one you wrote yourself earlier on?

Alice10 wrote: »
    I'm learning one off too.
    What essay have you learned off?
    Is it one you wrote yourself earlier on?
    A short story.
    Yes, I've learnt it off myself.

So essays aside how are you guys penned for the rest of the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

before my mocks i had just watched the film 21 ended up righting about that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I might write a piece from a book. Depends, if the personal essay is easy to twist I will just go with the flow...

I'm most worried about part bs... How long should they be...?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

When you guys learn off essays, do you mean short stories? Im guessing it would be hard to link it with Personal Essays?

And when they say allow slight connections, surely they would still give you crap marks under 'P'...

How do ye learn them off? Just keep writing them over and over?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

How many pages for part b???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

fufureida wrote: »
    page and a half at most....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

You will get found out if it's a learnt off essay. The examiner will know what standard of English you have by correcting your comprehension and question B part, in my opinion.

Saying that I'm worried myself about paper 1, I will be going in with an open mind no essay learned off and I'm not even sure will I be doing a short story or personal essay. :confused:

• Advertisement

fufureida wrote: »
    Lose the attitude.

Finical wrote: »
    You will get found out if it's a learnt off essay. The examiner will know what standard of English you have by correcting your comprehension and question B part, in my opinion.

Saying that I'm worried myself about paper 1, I will be going in with an open mind no essay learned off and I'm not even sure will I be doing a short story or personal essay. :confused:
    The examiner has to mark what is on the page. It's none of his business to start investigating. For all he knows you could just be a person who is very good at writing essays and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

The examiner has to mark what is on the page. It's none of his business to start investigating. For all he knows you could just be a person who is very good at writing essays and nothing more.
    Yeah that's why I was just giving my opinion. I'm so bad at essays, sure I'd learn one off if I was half decent at writing them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Short stories are hard to mark for examiners and hardly ever get 100%

Im going to go with a speech myself as i've done hundreds of them! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

If they know the story or what ever they can actually mark down, not completely down but you might only get 75, so my teacher said and she's a corrector

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

General Vision and Viewpoint has not come up since 2007, i'd bank on that.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Slugs wrote: »
    page and a half at most....

2 pages if you want to get close to 50 marks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Ah yeah I'd write 2 pages for a part B it's worth the same as the poetry!! The SEC have to sort themselves out, thats a joke!

Oh, and I hope G.V.V comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I usually do personal essays and get 70%, would i do better to learn a short story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

english paper one...where my bull****ting talents finally come into action! should be fun!

Advertisement