Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper one

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

stainluss wrote: »
    I usually do personal essays and get 70%, would i do better to learn a short story?
    No need to learn off a short story that's the fun part :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Lose the attitude.

If you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not backseat mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Lose the attitude.

um... Excuse me? What attitude??? All I did was ask about tge lenght... Sorry if I insulted your religious beliefs or... Something. If really was just an innocent question.

In my mocks I ended up writing 4 a4 pages on the part b lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

So guys if you wrote like 3/4 page each for the A (i) and (ii) and like 2/3 for the (iii), then like 1.5 for the part B and 4 for the essay, would that be about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I think that's pretty much it but for a 20Mark on question A i'd aim for a full A4.

Also I think learning an Idea would work better than learning an essay - as in mapping out one completely for a short story rather than learning an essay because sure they can be manipulated but what if on the day there is No way whatsoever you can? Just be careful about it! And don't rip off something obvious if you go down that route.

Also if you're getting 70% on a personal essay, I would not attempt a short story on the day - 90% of them tend to be awful so unless you're particularly good at writing short stories I'd avoid it and stick to the personal essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

So guys if you wrote like 3/4 page each for the A (i) and (ii) and like 2/3 for the (iii), then like 1.5 for the part B and 4 for the essay, would that be about right?

2/3 pages for the part iii and only 1.5 for the b? isn't the b worth like 50 marks and the whole of the part a 50 marks as well? why would you write three pages for part iii?

edit: sorry my bad, did you mean two thirds? lol too early in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

!?! wrote: »

edit: sorry my bad, did you mean two thirds? lol too early in the morning :P

You will be sitting down waiting for Paper 1 at the same time tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Thats exactly what my teacher recommended and she has corrected exams for the last 20 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

I'd imagine 1.5 is a bit on the short side for a piece worth the same marks as prescribed poetry. Most people will be writing 3-4 pages for that, so I'd be aiming for 2.

NotExactly wrote: »
    You will be sitting down waiting for Paper 1 at the same time tomorrow :rolleyes:

haha yeah but i won't be going to sleep at 2am tonight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

lc2010 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what my teacher recommended and she has corrected exams for the last 20 years!

6 or 7 pages seems like a lot for question A to me. I would write more on question B and the essay and less on question A personally but it's up to you. For the opinionated or argumentative piece to your facts and stuff have to be accurate? Obviously it's hard to back yourself up without facts and sometimes you may not know much about what you're writing about. Edit. I'm an idiot I though you meant3 to4 pages rather then 3 quarters was gettin scared there

I write a page on part a's and aiming to write a max of 2 pages for part B. The essay minimum is 3 pages. My essay was 2 and a half and I got almost full marks.,@.. Quality not quantity. Try making a bullet point plan for part B and the essay... It helps alot! But discuss only 6 points in the essay or 4 for the part b... I treat it like a poetry essay format... Discuss each point in a paragraph linking it into tge question. It's what I do and my lowest ever marks on paper 1 is 87%

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Yep I ment three quarters and two thirds, no hope in me writing much more. I rather spend more time thinking out the answers to the comprehension than writing long bits of inaccurate/irrelevant stuff. If the part B is a speech or something then I might be able to get 2 pages, but what I'm worried about is if its a letter or something, is it not better to keep them short - would you not get penalised for a long one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

is it not better to keep them short - would you not get penalised for a long one?

yeah well you would be wasting time if you wrote a really long answer ..
    if you have the points and a decent standard of an answer, you will get the marks ..

gotta remember you have an essay/speech/article to write as well..
    im leaving about 1 and a half hours for that :rolleyes:

curlypops wrote: »
    yeah well you would be wasting time if you wrote a really long answer ..
    if you have the points and a decent standard of an answer, you will get the marks ..

gotta remember you have an essay/speech/article to write as well..
    im leaving about 1 and a half hours for that :rolleyes:

The essay is simple. Its a basic flow of mind. What IS hard and can be challenging is the Comprehending and I REALLY think you should spent a good 45-50 minutes on the part a and 35-40 minutes on the B, leaving the remainder of the time for the essay...Seriously don't get caught up in spending too much time on he essay you will regret it!

fufureida wrote: »
    The essay is simple. Its a basic flow of mind. Seriously don't get caught up in spending too much time on he essay you will regret it!

i know what you mean ..
    but i have a bad habit of going off on a tangent..
    then realising that i have only five minutes left..
    i kill the main character! :D

so i like to leave myself enough time to actually get in a good ending and hopefully a A/B standard short story! :p

i agree with your opinion on the comprehensions though ..
    some of them can be tricky..
    but i usually pick my B question first and then choose a comprehension..

its a bit back-wards .. but its how i roll.. :rolleyes:

Wow that made me smile you are such a doe! :) alright so, whatever works for you!
    I used to write books alot and all of them were tragedies, the main character would always die! Reminded me of junior cert years...sniff sniff...

Wow that made me smile you are such a doe! :) alright so, whatever works for you!
    I used to write books alot and all of them were tragedies, the main character would always die! Reminded me of junior cert years...sniff sniff...

well its always one way to end the plot!:D

haha .. the junior cert ..
    my stories always ended by the person waking up and realising it was a dream ..
    oh i was so innocent in those days!:rolleyes:

HELP: what's the layout of a letter? :o

well its always one way to end the plot!:D

haha .. the junior cert ..
    oh i was so innocent in those days!:rolleyes:

True! However I wasn't so innocent. My english teacher taught I was suicidal because I always made the main character die... I just did it because I liked it! Writing about depressing stuff is sooo much easier I find. English is a depressing subjects, now that i think about things...war, famile, death...huge part of poetry!

Im hoping to write a really dirty essay for tommorow haha like the final embrace of two lovers... Something dramatic anyway. I dunno I dont wanna write something boring...I love writing aesthetically because its sooooo bul****ty! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

i think you're my twin!!

i remember for a Christmas test i summarised the film black Christmas... unfortunately my teacher had seen it and found out

Mwah wrote: »
    i think you're my twin!!

i remember for a Christmas test i summarised the film black Christmas... unfortunately my teacher had seen it and found out

I dont like giving conclusive endings. I like it sorta dramatic cliff-hangerish. Like '' she turned away and began to weep. Things will never be the same again '' just something like that lol.

True! However I wasn't so innocent. My english teacher taught I was suicidal because I always made the main character die... I just did it because I liked it! Writing about depressing stuff is sooo much easier I find. English is a depressing subjects, now that i think about things...war, famile, death...huge part of poetry!

Im hoping to write a really dirty essay for tommorow haha like the final embrace of two lovers... Something dramatic anyway. I dunno I dont wanna write something boring...I love writing aesthetically because its sooooo bul****ty! lol

i can just imagine my teacher thinking i still slept with teddy bears and the like! :p

i suppose you are right though..
    like Boland and Rich .. all they talk about is the repression of marriage
    you would want to take their poems to heart anyway! ;)
    if you did .. you would never ever marry .. :D

oh yeah aesthetic language is the best!
    well english paper 1 is usually filled with bullsh*t and cheese anyway!

i hope the short story themes are pretty general..
    then you really can write about anything..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

Pam param pam pam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

i hope the short story themes are pretty general..then you really can write about anything..:rolleyes:
    One can really write about anything anyway. Examiners allow the slightest connections when marking the paper.

One can really write about anything anyway. Examiners allow the slightest connections when marking the paper.

really?
    cool .. :D

i just need to get a good idea for it first!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DnBMoloney24

Any advice on how to link what you've learned for an essay to what comes up on the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Any advice on how to link what you've learned for an essay to what comes up on the paper?
    Very little connections, for example if the topic was a zoo the guy in your essay could walk past a zoo. Though if it is very vague, you may need to highlight it for the examiner.

They're old and may have cataracts. If you make their life easy they will repay the favour. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

How are you guys set up for english paper one? I've got my essay learned off and I have to say I'm feeling pretty confident.

That's great that you're ready and feeling confident, confidence is key, so best of luck! I'm sure you'll be great.

As for everyone else it's maybe a little unnecessary to be panicking people a little bit the night before, even if intentions are good. Different methods work for different people, some people prefer to learn essays off, the advice I would give is if you're able to fit it to a title be sure to adapt it a little to suit what comes up.

In the marking scheme it DOES say ''if it could be relevant, it is relevant'' but they do dock a lot of marks if it is completely irrelevant and they don't like the look of something that's OBVIOUS it's been learned off. The SOLUTION to this is just to adapt your learned-off essay to the title on the day to make it seem spontaneous. You can adapt it by referencing the title of the essay a few times or an idea from one of the reading comprehensions, referencing the general theme of the paper (that will be printed on the front cover of your exam paper, it's something like ''competing'' or ''Ireland'' or something really vague) and if you think of anything new on the day, well that's spontaneous and you can work it into your essay a little bit. Problem solved!

Good luck to everyone :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement