Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

not psychology, but social work

• 07-06-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Just watched the Channel 4 documentary "Dispatches - Undercover Social Worker" and am not surprised.

I think it's similar if not worse here. I have a good bit of interaction with my SW colleagues, and think some of what was shown is sort-of misreported - by omission.
    A senior social services official has said that it would not matter if a child was killed after their case was closed because it would not be the council's responsibility.

Read more: http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/general-coffeehouse-chat-514/news-current-affairs-topical-discussion-12/431806-undercover-social-worker-channel-4-dispatches.html#ixzz0qCUDR8mV
    Netmums - the local parenting network

We'd often have the 'we've got to fill in the paperwork so we aren't personally responsible' conversation in a very sarcastic way, meaning that we know the system is sh*te but none of us have the power to deal properly with our caseloads. I deal with my caseload problems by having a long waiting list, but that's not right and I do feel the pressure of it. I know that timely intervention is as important as the right intervention, and I know that we are failing a lot of waiting list clients.

Burn out and stress due to not being able to provide services we should be able to isn't really addressed here - there were cases in the UK. But I've gone from inadequate services to the impact of these on the staff working in them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm not sure if this is related to your post, but the worst thing we counter often enough and this is due the the overload of cases is: "are you telling me this child is in immediate risk?", if this is not the case that the risk is not severe enough it can be months before a s/w intervention.

Advertisement