Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effect of soil on fencing

Options
  • 07-06-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to build up soil in front of fencing in my back garden. I want decent deep raised flower beds, either by building up the soil or creating a frame using sleepers. I was wondering what affect the soil would have on the timber. Will it just rot away in a short time?

This is the type of fencing I currently have:
    Garden%20fencing%20North%20London.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes the soil will rot the fence, and even if you decide to put in a flower bed with a 'back' you need to leave space for air circulation between the back and the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

old slates work a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

depending on the type of fence you have ,,, you may be able to replace the concrete panel at the bottom for a larger size(300mm) and cut the timber panel to suit it, this would allow you to build up soil against the larger concrete panel to suit your raised bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Are those fence panels mounted upside down?? The slats seem to overlap the one above instead of the one below??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not on the other side they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

not on the other side they don't.

DOH!!

Advertisement