Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIS7

Options
  • 07-06-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I'm having issues with accessing a website of mine from my desktop, laptop and netbook, all running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, using a Magnet broadband connection. I've tested accessing the same site from other Magnet connections, but I'm experiencing the same issue. I have used Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6. The issue is that the IIS7 image is being displayed, as shown below, instead of my website:

iis7.png

I have tested accessing the same website on different computers from an Eircom, Meteor and O2 connection, using friends' computers who are also running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, and they all can connect fine. I've used the website http://www.iphider.org/ to access my site and surprisingly I can access it fine. A such, it appears to be an issue with Magnet somehow, especially since it's occurring on more than one Magnet connection and not when using any other network providers.

As Magnet are unavailable until tomorrow, I was hoping someone on Boards has come across an issue like this and could offer some advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

It's serving the default website. Perhaps some of Magnet's servers have cached that site at your domain? What happens when you access that website using just the IP address (eg. 193.10.10.10 instead of www.mywebsite.com)?

IIS is definitely serving your site on port 80? Have you tried using apache and seeing what is being served with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It's serving the default website. Perhaps some of Magnet's servers have cached that site at your domain? What happens when you access that website using just the IP address (eg. 193.10.10.10 instead of www.mywebsite.com)?

When trying to access the IP address of my site I get the following message:

"Forbidden. You don't have permission to access/ on this server"
    IIS is definitely serving your site on port 80? Have you tried using apache and seeing what is being served with it?

IIS is disabled on my computer, so I thought that would have solved the problem.

I figured out the problem. I needed to re-enable IIS and change the port to 79. I don't know how this worked, especially when other computers using different network Magnet couldn't connect. Thanks to spider guardian too for the assist. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

No probs, definitely a strange one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Did your website move to a new server recently? If so, Magnet's DNS probably had the old IP address cached and was handing it out until the TTL expired. To avoid this, you need to reduce the TTL before the move: http://www.elated.com/articles/move-website-to-new-server-the-seamless-way/

• Advertisement

Snowbat wrote: »
    Did your website move to a new server recently? If so, Magnet's DNS probably had the old IP address cached and was handing it out until the TTL expired. To avoid this, you need to reduce the TTL before the move: http://www.elated.com/articles/move-website-to-new-server-the-seamless-way/

Cheers for that Snowbat. That would explain why Magnet connections couldn't connect while other network connections could. ;)

Advertisement