Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Family Talktime & 085 calls

• 07-06-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Hi

Signed up this time last year for the Family Talktime package which included free calls to 085, as my daughter was 085, tho out of the country and not using that phone. Home now and ringing her a good bit, and now see I am being charged for 085 calls. Is this a recent change that I am not aware of? Can Eircom suddenly change a package like this? Or just Eircom making a mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

bog master wrote: »
    Hi

Signed up this time last year for the Family Talktime package which included free calls to 085, as my daughter was 085, tho out of the country and not using that phone. Home now and ringing her a good bit, and now see I am being charged for 085 calls. Is this a recent change that I am not aware of? Can Eircom suddenly change a package like this? Or just Eircom making a mistake?

As far as i know Eircom scrapped that sometime.
    My parents were on that deal too and got a shock when a bill came in alot bigger than they expected. They said they got notice either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I get the impression that Comreg put their foot down on this as they were a significant market player and were bundling landline with mobile.

Personally, I can't see what the problem was as long as they're not abusing their market advantage in the landline side of things. Vodafone is a huge landline operator now too and O2 also provides business landline + mobile bundles.

If UPC wanted to do a deal with a mobile operator, launch a virtual network or whatever they could jump into this market too.

I don't really see what the problem is if it's properly regulated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Solair wrote: »
    I get the impression that Comreg put their foot down on this as they were a significant market player and were bundling landline with mobile.

Personally, I can't see what the problem was as long as they're not abusing their market advantage in the landline side of things. Vodafone is a huge landline operator now too and O2 also provides business landline + mobile bundles.

If UPC wanted to do a deal with a mobile operator, launch a virtual network or whatever they could jump into this market too.

I don't really see what the problem is if it's properly regulated!

I wouldn't disagree with you my friend.
    You seem to know what you are talking about and it makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭bog master

Thanks for the replies! Seems like I am snookered, time to shop around I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Incidentally, if they did remove that while you're still in a minimum term contract, you are entitled under EU law to leave.

You can exercise your right to leave under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003.

Basically, quote that at them and you can terminate your contract without penalty (assuming you are still under one).

Vodafone might be a better option, check the bundles first though. I think they offer up to 200 mins to 3 specified Vodafone mobiles. Although, it's nothing near as generous as what Eircom + Meteor's deal was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Solair wrote: »
    Incidentally, if they did remove that while you're still in a minimum term contract, you are entitled under EU law to leave.

You can exercise your right to leave under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003.

Basically, quote that at them and you can terminate your contract without penalty (assuming you are still under one).

Vodafone might be a better option, check the bundles first though. I think they offer up to 200 mins to 3 specified Vodafone mobiles. Although, it's nothing near as generous as what Eircom + Meteor's deal was.

This was scrapped in late december. There was notice sent out and customer given 30 days to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

You only get 30 mins a month free before they start charging as normal

Advertisement