Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation in the Shooting forums

Options
  • 07-06-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

<Mod Edit: This thread being split out of the Fox Attack thread>

Trolling post deleted and twelve feeding-the-troll posts with it.
    Folks, you're regulars here. You know the forum charter and how the forum works, so please - if someone trolls a thread, just hit the report post button and let the mods do their job. Don't feed the trolls!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I would have considered the posts deleted an exchange of ideas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I would have considered the posts deleted an exchange of ideas :rolleyes:
    Ideas as to what someone could do to themselves, perhaps. On-topic ideas, nope. Feeding the trolls is what it was.

Sparks wrote: »
    .......Feeding the trolls is what it was.

That's your opinion, which it looks like is the only one that counts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I actually thought the posts were genuine, albeit IMHO misguided.
    An virile exchange of ideas.
    Having checked the posters history and previous posts, the assumption on my part was that this was not a troll.

dCorbus wrote: »
    the assumption on my part was that this was not a troll.
    Generally, if someone wanders in here and says all hunters are evil and they support the poor defenceless animals, every troll alarm goes off. We normally see it in Hunting, but it applies to all the Shooting forums.

And even if they're genuine, there's a specific rule about civility in the forum charter. Which that poster was in breach of. But frankly, it walked like a duck and it quacked like a duck - I don't think it was a cow.

• Advertisement

That's your opinion, which it looks like is the only one that counts :(
    If you disagree with that, there's a way to address that: the Dispute Resolution Procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Generally, if someone wanders in here and says all hunters are evil and they support the poor defenceless animals, every troll alarm goes off. We normally see it in Hunting, but it applies to all the Shooting forums.

And even if they're genuine, there's a specific rule about civility in the forum charter. Which that poster was in breach of. But frankly, it walked like a duck and it quacked like a duck - I don't think it was a cow.

excuse my ignorance but what the hell is a troll, is it just some one winding us up or was it a real person with an opinion

If you disagree with that, there's a way to address that: the Dispute Resolution Procedure.

Some mods seems to have a teflon coating :p

there's a specific rule about civility in the forum charter

TBH I didn't detect any lack of civility, just a wee bit of insanity.

It's fun argue too - We don't always have to agree with each other. And vehement discussions are what allow us to express ideas, exercise our minds, and deal with the formulation of cogent and complex ideas, which is what seperates us from the animals, such as foxes etc.

(see, did you see how i got us back on topic! see, did you?:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK IN THE WATER

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but what the hell is a troll, is it just some one winding us up or was it a real person with an opinion

please-do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

Covers most of the regulars here :P

Ignorance would be not to ask the question ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

TBH I didn't detect any lack of civility, just a wee bit of insanity.

It's fun argue too - We don't always have to agree with each other. And vehement discussions are what allow us to express ideas, exercise our minds, and deal with the formulation of cogent and complex ideas, which is what seperates us from the animals, such as foxes etc.

(see, did you see how i got us back on topic! see, did you?:D:D)

Ah shut up dcorbus I totally disagree with everything you've ever written or said !!! (Sorry dcorbus but i agree with you, we dont always have to agree with eachother the argumenting of a specific point is healthy for all involved even the spectators...as long as it doesnt get personal)

vix, i disagree that you disagree!

Your points are ill-founded and based on assumptions not in the realms of reality. Healthy-discussions are NOT healthy - and lead to the breakdown of society, the increase of guncrime, and the capture and torturing of defenceless foxes, rabbits, mink, and giraffe.
    Think of all the defenceless sheets of A3 paper mercilessly shot and wounded each an every weekend! Oh, the humanity!!
    And the poor little A4 sheets, my god, what has it all come to?

How dare you - shame on you!

Now, tea and scones anyone?

:D

Some mods seems to have a teflon coating :p
    Ever think that's because they're - shock, horror - not wrong?!?!?!!!

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    The former; though I lump ICABS members posting here into the 'troll' category because frankly, they don't really deserve the time it'd take to invent a new category.

Ever think that's because they're - shock, horror - not wrong?!?!?!!!

No, I have another theory :p;)

ICABS members

Was the poster one of them?

Can I suggest something, albeit straying into the ol' backseat modding mode?

Given the nature of the O/P and the topic of the thread, I think we've gone so far off the reservation and into the backwoods of bad taste, could this thread be split?

I'd hate to think that onlookers would think that we're such a callous and unfeeling bunch to be making fun and having a laugh, on a thread with a topic such as this.

Just a thought?:o

But, we is hicks & rednecks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Sounds the job dCorbus, a thread for trolling the trolls, light entertainment so to speak and such fun to see how they use quotes out of it further on down the line

vix, i disagree that you disagree!

Your points are ill-founded and based on assumptions not in the realms of reality. Healthy-discussions are NOT healthy - and lead to the breakdown of society, the increase of guncrime, and the capture and torturing of defenceless foxes, rabbits, mink, and giraffe.
    Think of all the defenceless sheets of A3 paper mercilessly shot and wounded each an every weekend! Oh, the humanity!!
    And the poor little A4 sheets, my god, what has it all come to?

How dare you - shame on you!

Now, tea and scones anyone?

:D

The A4s.....ah yes......who amongst us will protect the A4s.....tea please but I'll have to pass on the scone.....you do realise how traumatic a death those rasins and currants go through just so as you can enjoy them with butter and strawberry jam..........ohhh those poor strawberrys....spare them a thought also !!!! This is such a cruel world we hunt in....i mean live in !!!

• Advertisement

What about the tea and we won't even think of the milk :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

vixdname wrote: »
    The A4s.....ah yes......who amongst us will protect the A4s.....tea please but I'll have to pass on the scone.....you do realise how traumatic a death those rasins and currants go through just so as you can enjoy them with butter and strawberry jam..........ohhh those poor strawberrys....spare them a thought also !!!! This is such a cruel world we hunt in....i mean live in !!!

I`ll have 2 of wat your on for next week end....
    thnxs
    Dwighet

we is hicks & rednecks

You most certainly are - Evil dispicable country-folk who like nothing better than to bite the heads of defenceless rabbits!

I know your types!

With your murderous army weapons and noise pollutions.
    The A4s.....ah yes......who amongst us will protect the A4s

F**K the A4's and all the A-sized Papers. They had it coming, the bastards! Oh, how I laughed as I put 50 rounds straight into the sheets! Didn't stand a chance!

Oh, have you seen the mess an A0-A1 Hybrid, in Landscape Format, can do to an office? Well, have you? Coz if you had, you'd know why I HATE them!

Vermin - Deserve to die!

a thread for trolling the trolls

Now that would be fun!:D

Spot of entrapment, anyone?;)

You most certainly are - Evil dispicable country-folk who like nothing better than to bite the heads of defenceless rabbits!

I know your types!

With your murderous army weapons and noise pollutions.

F**K the A4's and all the A-sized Papers. They had it coming, the bastards! Oh, how I laughed as I put 50 rounds straight into the sheets! Didn't stand a chance!

Oh, have you seen the mess an A0-A1 Landscape Hybrid can do to an office? Well, have you? Coz if you had, you'd know why I HATE them!

Vermin - Deserve to die!

I really dont know how someone like you can sleep at night !!! Your simply not human...if you were you'd never be able to talk about office supplies like you do !!!!! you seriously need professional help...perhaps some filing cabinet therapy would be in order..that way you may see A4 paper in its real natural habitat and realise that its no threat to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I don't know how many members of the Shooting section use other forums on Boards. I'd often heard it said before that we here get a much easier time from the Mods than in other sections - it's actually true.

johngalway wrote: »
    I don't know how many members of the Shooting section use other forums on Boards. I'd often heard it said before that we here get a much easier time from the Mods than in other sections - it's actually true.

OMG John you've been..................assimilated :D

I really dont know how someone like you can sleep at night !!! Your simply not human...if you were you'd never be able to talk about office supplies like you do !!!!! you seriously need professional help...perhaps some filing cabinet therapy would be in order..that way you may see A4 paper in its real natural habitat and realise that its no threat to us

How dare you!
    I don;t know where you're from, mate! but Where I come from it's a long established tradition.
    As soon as I could walk the fields with my father and his father, and his father's father, I was given my first manila folder - and I've been punching paper ever since.

You culchies wouldn't understand. It's a Dublin-thing. For generations, we've been controlling the mass of paper, machine and handmade. TBH If it wasn;t for the likes of me and my fellow paper-punchers, you lad's would be in trouble.

You think what we do is wrong and inhumane, do you? Well, just ask yourself next time you're at a wedding - Where did the confetti come from? Eh?

That's right - It was lamped and killed by me and my ilk.

It's not pretty, but it's true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

homerhop wrote: »
    OMG John you've been..................assimilated :D

Lol, I was waiting for that :D

My point being there's need for a line to be drawn somewhere, otherwise forums don't work, that's why we have our own Charter (I wonder how many have read it mind you). Other charters I've read, jeebus, mention this - you're banned! Mention that - you're banned! Enforced zero tolerance. I've gotten away with saying plenty here I wouldn't have, and didn't get away with elsewhere. The moral of the story would be don't abuse the Charter ;)

• Advertisement

There is that John but as you are well aware from your time as a poster here, sometimes the powers that be tend to bend the rules to suit themselves too. But before i get an infraction for questioning the mods......come back John...Walk towards the light honest its not bunnyshooter scoping ya

Advertisement