Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers of the World Cup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

img_8677.jpg

Here's one for you.

From the Ivory Coast.

They call the litre and a half a Drogba because it's big and strong just like Didier!

Perfect for World Cup beers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

simonw wrote: »
    Coopers would be another good one for Australia.

England would have to be something like Bombadier or Bishops finger or something

The English beers I'm really liking at the moment are:

Young's London Ale, Adnam's Innovation, Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Bateman's Dark Lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 treacy52

The English beers I'm really liking at the moment are:

Young's London Ale, Adnam's Innovation, Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Bateman's Dark Lord.

+1

Tried the Adnams beers a while ago when I saw some of them in Superquinn and really liked them. Innovation was particularly nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Umm Timothy Taylor landlord is lovely stuff. Samuel Smiths is good also. Picked up some Spaten today in Aldi for 1.89 a bottle. Should go down well over the weekend;) Mite get some Hofbrau if its still on offer in centra. SAw Sameul adams today in tesco. Is 10.42 for 6 bottles a good price?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Timistry wrote: »
    Umm Timothy Taylor landlord is lovely stuff. Samuel Smiths is good also. Picked up some Spaten today in Aldi for 1.89 a bottle. Should go down well over the weekend;) Mite get some Hofbrau if its still on offer in centra. SAw Sameul adams today in tesco. Is 10.42 for 6 bottles a good price?

tis a decent price but they normall do Brooklyn Lager 6 packs for €8.50 ish which I think is a better beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Agree with that mayordeniis.

And tomorrow I shall be drinking mostly Quilmes and Brooklyn :D

(Ended up getting French and English beers. Not too bad a spread considering I spent 2 days n it.

happy drinking everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

mayordenis wrote: »
    tis a decent price but they normall do Brooklyn Lager 6 packs for €8.50 ish which I think is a better beer.

Cool. Thanks for that. I have heard good things about it alright. Must call into tesco next week and get a few!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is that Brooklyn Lager nice yeah?

I thought it looked like some yoke just brewed for Tesco and that it would just be fizzy yellow piss.

Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Des wrote: »

I thought it looked like some yoke just brewed for Tesco and that it would just be fizzy yellow piss.

Hmmm

It ain't yellow and for a lager is very nice. Had my first bottle last week and was impressed. Was going to buy a 6 pack yesterday in Tesco but it was out of date

DarrenG wrote: »
    It ain't yellow
    Really? What colour is it? Red?

Very interesting indeed
    DarrenG wrote: »
    and for a lager is very nice. Had my first bottle last week and was impressed. Was going to buy a 6 pack yesterday in Tesco but it was out of date

I wouldn't be too worried about the dates tbh.

Going to have to investigate this a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Des wrote: »

Hmmm

Oh dear Lord please try some.

If you like hoppy American beers you will love Brooklyn, one of my favourite American craft breweries. Their Black chocolate stout is unbelievable.

The Lager is very hoppy and refreshing.

red flag for me then.

I'm not a fan of big hoppy flavours at all :(

I'll get a six pack though. That stout sounds interesting. Is is widely available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well it is not big in the hops, but there are enough to let you know they are there unlike most lagers.

If you have had Sierra Nevada pale ale or Galway hooker it is perhaps a little less than those but you are in the right direction.

Usually in any decent Tesco for under €9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was looking for some Spanish beer for Sundays final and could not find San Miguel anywhere. It used to be available. I ended up in Molloys and asked the assistant for Spanish beer, he said they had none but closest was that Desperado stuff. I bought 6 bottles for a tenner, is it really the closest to having something Spanish to drink?

Reading from the start of thread, i noticed someone mentioned Estrella, i'm sure I must of seen that in Superquinn?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gurramok wrote: »
    could not find San Miguel anywhere.
    A Filipino brand brewed in England? Maybe just as well.
    is it really the closest to having something Spanish to drink?
    Made in france by a Dutch company. Not even close. Also: not really a beer.

Reading from the start of thread, i noticed someone mentioned Estrella, i'm sure I must of seen that in Superquinn?
    Yes, there's some class of Estrella sold in Superquinn. I'm surprised Redmond's had none. Terrible beer anyway.

BeerNut wrote: »
    A Filipino brand brewed in England? Maybe just as well.

Made in france by a Dutch company. Not even close. Also: not really a beer.

Yes, there's some class of Estrella sold in Superquinn. I'm surprised Redmond's had none. Terrible beer anyway.

Whats a good Spanish beer then thats available in the offy? :)

There aren't any. Drinking beer according to World Cup teams and drinking nice beer are, by and large, incompatible activities.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well USA, England, Netherlands and Germany where there this year, Belgium have a young team which are getting better and Ireland are not too far off so next time around it might be a beer explosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 treacy52

I've been supporting Spain for the whole thing since Igot them in a sweepstakes with my mates. Obviously I decided I had to be drinking a Spanish beer to be fully supportive! so someone advised Estrella Damm as the best option to go for. Been buying it in Dunnes all the time and they always have plenty of th 4 packs. I've actually really liked it as a beer, to the extent that I found myself buyin it for other things I was goin to as well. (Great for a bbq when it's sunny!) Someone was tellin me that they've been selling it in the Porterhouse for the whole thing as well though so I might head in there tomorrow for the craic!

Redmonds of Ranelagh has the Estrella. I had not checked there in my search :)

Also picked up a few bottles of Salitos to try it out, its drinkable but bland, a euro a bottle though!

• Advertisement

Also picked up a few bottles of Salitos
    Germany game was yesterday :p

Advertisement