Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flora Women's mini-marathon

• 07-06-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

Just a few images from today's run. What a nasty day, but fair play to all the ladies (and a few gents) who ran.

4679753921_f9848a8a10_b.jpg

4679753675_59c8bda3ab.jpg

4679753491_9c8e66ab9c.jpg

4680384016_b7a23c0caa.jpg

4680382984_292a730e44.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Was there myself, taking pics for our fundraiser group. I did sneak off to the pub while they jogged/walked, but caught beginning, end and afters.

nice shots. I changed lenses mid-shower ... oooops. But I did manage some nice shots too :)

weren't all fine fillies either:

http://lookpic.com/d2/i2/2170/ObRBg0mX.jpeg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hey, you forgot to photograph me! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

sNarah wrote: »
    Hey, you forgot to photograph me! :o

Hard to photograph everyone. I had 4 friends running and didn't see any of them. But, did see one colleague from work and a friend of my wife's.

So many people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Was listening to Ray D'Arcy this morning on the radio and he was giving out about people taking photos of the runners.

He even went so far as to say that the police should stop people from doing this.

swingking wrote: »
    Was listening to Ray D'Arcy this morning on the radio and he was giving out about people taking photos of the runners.

He even went so far as to say that the police should stop people from doing this.

Why? What was his reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Ray D'Arcy spouts a lot of nonsense these days;he is like a neutered dog.He lets his g-f,''D4 Jenny'' say too much,which is invariably banal&trite claptrap.Come on Ray!Assert your dominance over yer dumbass woman&get the show back to its enjoyable heyday of 5years ago.

Paulw wrote: »
    Hard to photograph everyone. I had 4 friends running and didn't see any of them. But, did see one colleague from work and a friend of my wife's.

So many people.
    Yeah - it was mad, I think if you suffer from claustrophobia, it's not a happy place to be, certainly at the start!

Privacy related?

Privacy related?

Privacy? Running with 40,000+ others on public streets? Ok .... I'm confused now. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

DArcy thought it was something more sinister behind it. Like a load of perverts or something.

Paulw wrote: »
    Privacy? Running with 40,000+ others on public streets? Ok .... I'm confused now. :confused:

Was just wondering what his objections were - would have presumed it was something of that matter but was wrong :o
    DArcy thought it was something more sinister behind it. Like a load of perverts or something.

To quote my boyfriend
    "I'll come into Dublin with yous if the weather is nice - because then the girls will be wearing shorter shorties and smaller tops" - obviously, messing, in good banter sort of a way.

Saying that - and absolutely NOT agreeing with Darcy about perverts coming in to take pictures of the girls, I did notice some odd charaters around, slighty hidden away in alleyways with video camera's. Sort of fella's who you wouldnt want to meet in the dark. Again - this is a presumption - they might just as well be filming their daughter/wife/friend, but some of them just striked me as "odd".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

So if you take photos of a women's race there's something perverted about it? What about if its a men's race? is that alright?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Saying that - and absolutely NOT agreeing with Darcy about perverts coming in to take pictures of the girls, I did notice some odd charaters around, slighty hidden away in alleyways with video camera's. Sort of fella's who you wouldnt want to meet in the dark. Again - this is a presumption - they might just as well be filming their daughter/wife/friend, but some of them just striked me as "odd".

This is kinda laughable. Whats the knee jerk thought process here ? That those PERVERTS have taken time off from filming kids in swimming pools or something so that they can get a couple of hours of footage of girls jogging. uhhuh huh huh uh huh uh huh . And then wander home after the event and pop it into their VCRs so they can get their rocks off ??? Honestly ??!?

Won't someone think of the middle aged women joggers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

hes just jealous he wasnt there:P

Ray Darcy is a fool. He's gotten very cantankerous over the past few years.

I was there to photograph a group of girls who were running/walking to raise money for our little girl. I bet most people taking pictures also concentrated on their own charity/group/family/friends. Bar the odd humorous shot, which were of men dressed as woman, not just random women. I wonder what he thinks about that?

What's sinister is that Darcy would even think there was something perverse about it.

I was there hoping to catch some friends I knew running, but unfortunately didn't spot them.

I did have plenty of people waving, smiling and stopping to have their picts taken. Even had a few looking to get my details to buy my picts from me. ;)

You'd see more to perv at in the Phoenix Park on a hot summer day than you would standing in that rain to take picts yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

What's sinister is that Darcy would even think there was something perverse about it.

I take photos at races, and was at Cork Marathon yesterday taking pictures. Have never EVER had anyone complain about me taking pictures. If you look at most of my pics, and that of most photographers you will see the majority of people smiling and waving at cameras.

Now random snappers turning up at Juvenile events may be a different matter, but as for the big mass participation events, the man is talking out his hole.

Exactly, As I took pics I had random people smiling and waving towards the camera. I didn't encounter one single person frowning upon me photographing. People were moving out of the way along the barrier to let me in to take shots.

Seriously, Ray Darcy has issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Saying that I wish the Gardai HAD stopped me taking photos yesterday as it would of saved all my gear from getting a thorough soaking which I hope it recovers from.

Note to self - changing lenses when its pouring rain is not a good idea.

Saying that I wish the Gardai HAD stopped me taking photos yesterday as it would of saved all my gear from getting a thorough soaking which I hope it recovers from.

Note to self - changing lenses when its pouring rain is not a good idea.

Same here, I changed lenses under a tree in Stephen's green, thinking I was safe. Massive drops came through the trees and soaked the cam, inside and out! Thankfully it was grand, there was obvious blurring in some shots after, but it seems to have dried out fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Ray D'Arcy. Now there is a clown if ever. Maybe we are feeding his ego by even discussing him here.

Maybe people here should email the station and complain about his comments. My wife used to be delighted when I got photos of her or people in fancy dress at any race.

B.T.W Nice shots PaulW. They capture the spirit of the event, esp 2, 3, 4 & 5, enjoyment, fun, pain, and wet. Loads of aches today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I take photos at races, and was at Cork Marathon yesterday taking pictures. Have never EVER had anyone complain about me taking pictures. If you look at most of my pics, and that of most photographers you will see the majority of people smiling and waving at cameras.

Now random snappers turning up at Juvenile events may be a different matter, but as for the big mass participation events, the man is talking out his hole.

I was at Cork as well yesterday - thank God Penny's opened up after I finished so I could buy new clothes to get home in!

I wouldn't say the majority of people smile and wave but I've definitely encountered a few*...

*Actually wish that I kept that album more up to date as I've loads from the past year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not that I'd condone someone turning up only to take photos of sexy/beautiful runners but everyone likes to see some beautiful people...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Doesn,t Ray Darcy exactly epitomize a fool behind a microphone, god help him if he had to do a proper job to make ends meet,fair play to all who went out there and took photos .Anyone got one of Darcy post it here:p

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Anyone got one of Darcy post it here:p

That would be funny :D

Despite the rain i got tonnes of semi-decent shots and upped them to facebook. Everyone involved was happy with them, that's the main thing. Smiles all round.

OffT: Ray Darcy was on that cafe show on RTE a while back, and they sprung Dustin on him. He of course started slagging and Darcy looked really uncomfortable, didn't smile or engage in the wit, he got a bit cranky about it. Was a bit cringe-inducing. He seems to have forgotten his breaks and what got him where he is today. A kid's show, where he had to smile ... thinking now it was all put on. Miserable git that he is.

Back on topic: Fair play to all who participated in either marathon. We had 8 runners in the Cork one too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Heres me coming to the thread hoping to see some marathon pics.

Ray D'Arcy, who gives a flying f*** what he says show me the pics!

yeah, he is a bit of a waste of time and effort. i only got shots at the start and finish of people doing it for our fund raiser, don't really want to post them here. they're all on my facebook though, feel free to add me -

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/thecageyone

Just a few more .... smiling faces and people posing.

4683067261_3743c45845.jpg

4683067615_8b418f5c1e_b.jpg

4683696416_3db4175c86.jpg

Very good shots Paul. I appreciate how hard it was to get good pic's on the day. I feel like I failed a little because the images I captured were not so sharp. But ... I excuse myself because of the conditions, and the fact my camera took a right soaking at one point but I carried on regardless :D

Advertisement