Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Lear. So worried!

Options
  • 07-06-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Right people,

I only have done the following topics for King Lear and I'm slightly worried;
    • Dislike Lear at start but grow sympathy and affection for him
    • Theme of Nature
    • Evil characters are far more interesting than the good ones
    • Lear is a tragic hero
    • ''King Lear'' is a gloomy play
    • Love as a redemptive force

Will I be safe. Or can someone give me a few suggestions that might come up. Lear is defintely the most worrying for me on paper II and poetry ofcourse depending if my poet/'s come up. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

What's the theme of nature and Lear as a tragic hero in brief??

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Back in my day the transience of time was a big one, but don't take my word for it I was crap at English:D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Im only learning:

Lear - His growth through suffering
    Cordelia - An important character in the play
    The Fool - Adds to dramatic enjoyment/significance

Self growth through suffering
    Love and Loyalty
    Good and Evil
    Sibling Rivalry

I hope that is enough...because Im worried too. Praying the fool comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

What's the theme of nature and Lear as a tragic hero in brief??
    I presume it's something about how The weather images the mood of the play at a specific time, noticeably upon the heat. Pathetic Fallacy and all that.

Lear is a tragic here because he has done wrong through greed, naivety and vanity. He goes on a journey where he finds himself, reconciles with those he's done wrong to, and in the end regains power, then dies, which makes it very tragic indeed, that after all he's suffered he dies of a broken heart.
    The scene where he overpowers the guard would be good to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

fufureida wrote: »
    Im only learning:

..because Im worried too. Praying the fool comes up.

I wouldn't be banking on a minor character like the fool coming up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

NotExactly wrote: »
    I wouldn't be banking on a minor character like the fool coming up!

Im not. didnt you see that i said i was studying other stuff? :rolleyes:

But yeah he may be minor but has a major role...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    I presume it's something about how The weather images the mood of the play at a specific time, noticeably upon the heat. Pathetic Fallacy and all that.

Lear is a tragic here because he has done wrong through greed, naivety and vanity. He goes on a journey where he finds himself, reconciles with those he's done wrong to, and in the end regains power, then dies, which makes it very tragic indeed, that after all he's suffered he dies of a broken heart.
    The scene where he overpowers the guard would be good to use.

thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm feeling fairly screwed for Lear.. I've never actually studied Lear properly.. Just did a few essays.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'm feeling fairly screwed for Lear.. I've never actually studied Lear properly.. Just did a few essays.. :eek:

haha, and I'm the opposite. I've studied Lear and learned quotes, but only ever written one essay and done nothing on themes etc. I'm just hoping because I know how the play goes etc that I'll be able to fit the quotes I've learned into my answer....!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

There's a story behind why I never got to study it properly.. It's retarded.

5th year: Had O'Sullivan. He was gonna do Lear in 6th year.

6th year: O'Sullivan is teaching the pass class. I'm doing honours. I got moved to Lynch's class who spent all of 5th year doing Lear..

In other words I had to study it on my own by doing essays every so often.. Only did like 3 or 4 total.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Haven't done anything yet on this, though i've loads of handouts and stuff.

ah sure, once you know the story and the basics you can ride from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Danger781 wrote: »
    There's a story behind why I never got to study it properly.. It's retarded.

5th year: Had O'Sullivan. He was gonna do Lear in 6th year.

6th year: O'Sullivan is teaching the pass class. I'm doing honours. I got moved to Lynch's class who spent all of 5th year doing Lear..

In other words I had to study it on my own by doing essays every so often.. Only did like 3 or 4 total.. :confused:

Ouch.
    Well rather than trying to learn off essays I think if you try to understand the text and learn quotes it'll be easier to answer any question then.

Also, watch the film... but if you watch the one with Ian McKellin in it, just remember that we don't actually see the fool hanged in the text but it shows it in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

haha, and I'm the opposite. I've studied Lear and learned quotes, but only ever written one essay and done nothing on themes etc. I'm just hoping because I know how the play goes etc that I'll be able to fit the quotes I've learned into my answer....!

Same.

They could give us any character or any random quote to discuss.
    People are then panicking because they may not have this essay prepared?

Theres a big emphasis lately on preparing, why not just learn the general points and quotes of stuff poetry included, and then you wouldnt be ****ting yourself about what will come up? I was temped to do it for the composition, but wont bother

I really hope the markers dont just favour people who prepared stuff, if they did, it would show the LC as a ridiculous academic test. (More so than it already is - Continuous Assesment FTW)

Advertisement