Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From spinning to fly fishing

Options
  • 08-06-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

I recently posted about spinning in the blackwater in north cork and about what kind of permits i would need. I did a bit of research and found that a local club had about a 4 mile stretch however it's fly fishing only. I spoke to the man who runs the club. I've never fly fished and would have to start from scratch with rods reels etc.

I was going to look at another club so I could do a bit of spinning and I explained that to the man who runs the club. He generously offered to teach me how to fly fish. :)

I really appreciated the offer and I will definetly take him up on the offer but I don't want to waste the mans time.

My question is..... How long would it usually take to pick up the basics and until I could work away on my own ? Any additional advice regarding gear etc. is welcome and appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Depends if you're any good. Seriously, some people learn after an hour some may take days. For good casting about 3-4 hours i'd say, I learned how to spey cast in about 4 hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

After day 1 you will be fishing.
    Maybe you might not be able to cast 30 metres across the river and drop it 2 feet from that ripple just there - but you didn't learn to do that with a spinning rod in one day either!
    I'd say - do it and enjoy being able to catch them another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

give it the day and you will learn a lot after that its practise......it looks harder than it is.....give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Cheers lads for the advice and encouragement. Gonna give it a go this week, really lookin forward to it, not really looking foward to buying the gear though, so much to choose from :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Ask the guy who's teaching you for some tips on decent gear, and what wt # rod will suit you, and he should also see the action of the rod you require.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, going tomorrow evening, assuming i get the hang of it after a couple of evenings, my laser card might get a bit of a battering on sat :)

Gave it a go and seem to have got the hang of it. Thank again for the advice lads, will enjoy the learning curve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Gave it a go and seem to have got the hang of it. Thank again for the advice lads, will enjoy the learning curve :)

be warned - it's extremely addictive

Advertisement