Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSc (Hons) Government - CK210

• 08-06-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Could anyone shed some light on this particular course. I noticed one of the career options was teaching, what kind of teaching would that be ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm a Government graduate and my views of the course are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055664739&highlight=Government&page=3

As for teaching, that would be a career option with most degrees. An undergraduate degree makes you eligible for the Higher Diploma in Education which will allows you to teach in a secondary school. The Teaching Council recognises Government for the teaching of CSPE, Business and Economics but how they can say you're eligible to teach business and economics is beyond me. I only took 3 economics modules in college and most of my class avoided it as it was optional.

If you have honours Irish you can do a postgrad in primary school teaching in Mary I, Hibernia etc... A girl from my class is now primary school teacher.

If you go on to PhD level you can teach at a university.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

I'm a Government graduate and my views of the course are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055664739&highlight=Government&page=3

As for teaching, that would be a career option with most degrees. An undergraduate degree makes you eligible for the Higher Diploma in Education which will allows you to teach in a secondary school. The Teaching Council recognises Government for the teaching of CSPE, Business and Economics but how they can say you're eligible to teach business and economics is beyond me. I only took 3 economics modules in college and most of my class avoided it as it was optional.

If you have honours Irish you can do a postgrad in primary school teaching in Mary I, Hibernia etc... A girl from my class is now primary school teacher.

If you go on to PhD level you can teach at a university.

Thank you very much, great help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gary ol1

A further question about government and teaching,if you wanted a job as a business or ecomomics teacher at second level with the BSc government degree another applicant went for the same degree with a commerce degree,would the commerce graduates credentials be of a higher standard than the government students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Most jobs with a government degree need a postgrad completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gary ol1

ok thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Make sure you have enough credits done in the subject you want to teach...I think it's 60 credits off the top of my head.

Advertisement