Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lear:theme of nature??

Options
  • 08-06-2010 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

okay so i feel pretty covered for lear.i have goneril,regan,edmund and the fool wel covered,lears suffering and good v evil.but i got grinds for 8 weeks at the begining of the year and he told me to write essays on some themes like blindness.madness,filial ingarditude but i felt confident enough not do them as i had good notes from school.but he also told me to do nature as a theme but i didnt do because i felt it wasnt that important.but now i see alot of people mentioning it and im worried..all i can tink of for it is how lear goes against nature with the treatment of his daughther cordelia,as well as goneril,regan and edmund go aganist nature wth there treatment of their fathers..is this correct??or how should the answer be structured??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I havnt even glanced on this it's too difficult altogether for me.., I'm scrapping it. Stick to self growth through suffering, love and loyalty, redemptive force/good versus evil and sibling rivalry... ( I don't have anything on sibling rivalry doneor redemptive force so if you have anything please help me out... )
    for characters I have done Cordelia, Lear and the Fool... Gonna learn stuff about women on the play because I don't think it's ever been asked. Basically I'm learning the characters that give rise to action. Should be enough... And I'm watching Lear before the exam. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

well the theme of nature would be all about the storm scene ..
    you know pathetic fallacy and stuff ..
    but there isnt really much to say about it ..

they would probably give it to you with something else like other types of imagery in the play or maybe with Edgar's character because he is the one who dresses as Poor Tom and goes back to nature ..

if that makes any sence .. :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

nature - It really depends on how they put the question really and how you read it..

Nature could be
    A) an essay on Human nature = motivations e.g love versus greed and self advancement , natural order- lear abdicating his thone isnt natural , g + r's behaviour to their father isnt natural.. the different types of nature , bestial and those motivated by love and goodness

or B) pathetic fallacy , nature imagery - storm animals..

If it came up , i'd go for A , so much more to write about.

Hope that helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

PARARORY wrote: »

Nature could be
    A) an essay on Human nature = motivations e.g love versus greed and self advancement , natural order- lear abdicating his thone isnt natural , g + r's behaviour to their father isnt natural.. the different types of nature , bestial and those motivated by love and goodness

i never thought of that...
    thanks! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

if you have the edco revised addition there is a page of notes on nature at the back i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Mwah wrote: »
    if you have the edco revised addition there is a page of notes on nature at the back i think

I have lots of notes on nature but its a very vast theme. Their is sooo much more to it than just the storm scene...symbloism and motifs all that cArp!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

If nature comes up you really can twist it into a good versus evil essay , dont think because its nature its complicated!

Advertisement