Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a Greenhouse

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I want to get a green house as a birthday present for my mother but I am not sure where to look or exactly what to look for. She is only beginning to get in to gardening but has a lot of space so I want to get something reasonably big.
    My budget would be around 1000 quid. Can anyone offer any advice on where to buy ad what?
    Also, this might seem silly to you who know but what is the difference between polycarbonate and glass houses, which is better and is there much price difference.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Hi Hibrion,

It might be worth visiting some of your local garden centres or your local co-op (Country Store?) as they are carrying a good range of glass and polycarbonate houses this season and their prices are competitive.

Difference between glass and polycarbonate. Glass lasts longer unless broken by footballs or the like. Glass is clearer and so gives better light levels. Glass is heavier and more difficult to install.

The most important comment I could make is to suggest you buy the biggest house you possibly can. Don't put shelving into the original plan or costing. This can always be added in future years - you can grow an amazing amount on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Hi,
    I got my greenhouse in Homebase it is a 8ftx10ft Consort with Double doors and Safety Glass on a 20% off day a few years ago with a stack of bonusbond vouchers.
    It will take about 2 days to erect.
    My mother got one about 10 years ago 8ftx12ft with safety glass and that was enough of a recommendation for me and it still is perfect.

Don't bother going to the green coated frames

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Couple of points:

Glass is best as easier to clean and does not rot like plastic.

If you need to to protect the glass can always use chicken wire.

Try and avoid models with very large sheets of glass. These are expensive to replace and heavy to carry. Glasshouses are rarely watertight so don't worry about overlapping glass sheets.

Ventilation and cleanliness are crucial. Dettox Bathroom Bleach spray is great for end of year cleaning.

If you can afford it lay a concrete base, easier to clean and lay grow bags on.

Aldi and Lidl are greart for compost.

Check many suppliers as prices vary soooooooooo much. UK may be cheaper or if you can buy up north.

Have fun!

How much would it cost (approx) to lay a concrete base for a 8 x 6 glasshouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

zorro2566 wrote: »
    How much would it cost (approx) to lay a concrete base for a 8 x 6 glasshouse?

do you want to concrete inside it as well?
    Does your greenhouse come with its own base?

If it comes with a base I would advise to install it on a bed of sand anchor in the corners with concrete when it is level. you can build up the concrete around the base then after..
    You should get away with a few barrows full of builders sand and 2 bags of cement..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'm aware this thread is about greenhouse, but have you considered a polytunnel?
    Get a lot more area enclosed for same money.

We put 5yr plastic on tunnel 12 years ago and its still on it and it hasn't gone opaque either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I had suggested a poly tunnel but she wanted a greenhouse.

It's all sorted now. I bought one from a loc\l garden center; its a 6x8, polycarb, with a base for 340 quid. Seemed like a deal.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mairepadraigin

I am thinking of getting a Glass House this year can anybody give me suppliers? - I live in Glenageary. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

personally, go for the polycarbonate option. wont break, lighter, safer, better thermal properties and easy to clean witha soft brush too.

there is a couple of companies advertising in the golden pages so have a look there.

Thanks I never thought of the Golden Pages!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nialldiamond

I would agree that polycarbonate is probably your best bet. However, I would not just buy at B&Q unless you are truly looking for a short term basic solution. Your best bet might be to build a simple lean-to or small greenhouse. Look at multiwall it adds insulation and is a bit cheaper than standard plastic sheet. There are a lot of providers out there and can give you good advice on building your own or getting an installer. Though you might want to get a handy-man to do the build as it may be cheaper and source the material yourself. If you are on the north side of Dublin/Meath Accessplastics.com if you are west or south you can try goldstarplastics.ie or do a quick google maps search for multiwall in your area...or polycarbonate sheet.

Thank you for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smurf2000

I've a B&Q greenhouse which I bought last year. Delighted with it. It took my brother and I 4 hours to put together. 8x6, polycarbonate, lightweight worked out at €270.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Bad experience with B&Q glasshouse (6x6)...Erected in April '09 with assistance of professional glasshouse erector.
    Winter '09-'10, during frost approx half the glass shattered and scattered out in all directions up to 15 ft.!!
    Staff in local branch gave me some spare glass to repair and I also bought some polycarbonate for end section.
    This winter, I had the same experience even with slight frost, and apart from the polycarbonate, I now have 6 panes in total remaining!!!!.
    I think this is totally unacceptable and an email to customer services seeking an explanation has not been replied to.
    Not sure where to go from here, but if you are considering buying from B&Q, don't, unless you get toughened glass (dearer) or polycarbonate. I was not advised of this.
    :( Has anybody else had this experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Does anyone have any advise on a cheap, small greenhouse just to get started growing our own veg?

I'd be talking less than €50! Doesnt need to be walk-in.

There was one in Aldi recently but I missed it.

Advertisement