Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matriculation Question?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Basically, I'm a repeat leaving cert student about to head in to my second round of exams. Last year I passed all subjects, including HL maths. However having a brief discussion with my friend, he says I must pass maths again this year in order to matriculate. I was sure this wasn't the case as having passed maths last year I was already covered.

I was just wondering if I could get some clarification on this? If I fail maths this year, will I fail to get in to UCD science?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

No, you don't need to pass maths again this year, remember, you can carry over the grade, but NOT the points.

So for example, if you got 300 last year, and 400 this year, you cant mix and match subjects to give you 600 points.

But, if this year you get a D3 in maths, and last year u got a c3 in maths, you can use the C3 for matriculation requirements, but not points requirements.

Sorry if thats confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Fernicia

Is it possibly to choose which year you use points for?
    Say I got 400 points one year, but failed irish, then 370 the next but passed Irish, could I get into, say a 390 point course with an Irish language req?

I'm almost positive you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Quote:
    An applicant may combine the results of Leaving Certificate examinations obtained in different years for Matriculation Registration purposes. This concession applies to Matriculation Registration only; it does not apply for the calculation of points. In particular, it should be noted that students seeking to enter Medicine must meet the minimum entry requirements in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate.
    Basically, this is what is confusing me. I had always understood grades could be used from previous LCs for the purposes of matriculation, but points can only be used from one sitting (points from this year, or last year, but not BOTH).
    But, if this year you get a D3 in maths, and last year u got a c3 in maths, you can use the C3 for matriculation requirements, but not points requirements.
    Yes I understand this, but in your example I would have to pass maths BOTH years. But in the case that I recieve an E grade this year (a fail), will this overtake my D1 from last year. Is failing a repeat subject taken in a different manner. In the qailifax quote it seems a little grey on this scenario.

No iirc its the same rules apply. If you fail maths this year as a repeat you can use your maths grade from last year for maltriculation purposes

• Advertisement
Advertisement